Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > ibook issues

ibook issues
dnice
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 6, 2004, 08:57 AM

i have an ibook 800mhz pwrPC G3 and running 10.3.6

this machine has been in the shop numerous times and has been recalled at least 2 times. Recently, the battery isnt being recognized by the machine (big X in the icon) and my apps are either quiting on me or acting very strange.

i was working on this machine day and night and am feeling like it is not reliable. i also travel a lot for work and MUST have a machine i can count on. i dont know what to do.

any suggestions?
thanks

castle3
Dec 13, 2004, 10:31 PM

Hate to say this but there could be a number of problems w/o a diagnosis...have you tried upgrading the RAM? or cleaning out (or backing up) files? What specific problems are you having? let us know...
one day you are going to wake up and
live.

dnice  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2004, 09:57 AM

thanks for the response.

i have backed up all files and brought the machine to my LSP and since then the entire machine has completely seized up: no USB/firewire response, no response from the charging board, no response from the optical drive, even the touchpad/keyboard went completely dead. i then sent the machine back to apple who apparently are going to "fix it" (like they have numerous times already) and send it back. ive lost valuable time at work w/o my machine, completely blown deadlines, and lost freelance jobs due to this.

also, my dealings with customer relations at apple has not been a positive experience to say the least. people there have flat out lied to me on the phone and not followed through with promises made to me.

i travel alot for work and if this had happened on the road it would have been a disaster. i have lost faith in this machine and am really frustrated that apple was not more help to a 10+ year loyal customer.

Forte
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2004, 01:22 PM

How many times has it been fixed already? IIRC, after a certain number, you may be entitled to ask for a working replacement (most stories I've heard of this tend to end up with folks getting a brand new machine).

dnice  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 16, 2004, 08:30 AM

except for me.

after apple costomer relations completely ignored my request for a new machine, AS WELL AS contacting my LSP to get a complete fix history(like she promised she would do), they completely shut me down and sent my old computer back with all my files/applications erased. i was told they could do a re-install w/o deleting all the software??? now i've lost even more time at work re-installing everything.

..and im supposed to call them back to make sure things taken care of? its impossible to get the same person on the phone again even with their extension. its like its set up that was purposely so they can screen their calls and pick who gets a call back.

they straight up lied to me so many times just to get me off the phone.

...and i dont think they even fixed the recall issue with the video card either. so i may have to send it back again....

all said and done, this has been a horrible experience with apple

i feel betrayed by this company i've been loyal to and stood up against angry PC IT guys in its defense for over 15 years...

Forum Links
Forum Rules