Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > backlite keyboard

backlite keyboard
macman88
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2005, 01:01 AM

i know that this topic has been gone over alot but i would like to start a poll on how many people would really want a backlight keyboard. i know that i would really like to have one.
ibook g4, 1.33ghz, 768mb

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2005, 04:45 AM

dunno, i don't think i'd use it more than once a month (omsomniatic web surfing). that said, if it's not even on 12" powerbooks (that's right, innit?) it might be pushing it to expect it on my 12" 'book.

anyone ever tried a retrofit?

sminch
( Last edited by sminch; Mar 24, 2005 at 06:29 AM. )

gcvt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2005, 05:13 AM

I'd love to have one, except for the cost and extra battery drain.

macman88  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2005, 09:52 AM

is there a mod like putting led's under the keyboard. now that i think about it, that would work better on the g3 ibooks rather then g4 because of their clear keys. but there's got to be a mod for it.
ibook g4, 1.33ghz, 768mb

sminch
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2005, 05:45 PM

i've never cracked open the keyboard on my ibook but it can't be that hard, surely? there must be a fair but of room under there for yeah, a few rows of leds and a bit of wiring. power it off a usb maybe and you're sorted...

two months after i bought her there's no chance i'm trying this on mine, but i'd be keen to see other's attempts!

sminch

castle3
Mar 24, 2005, 08:02 PM

honestly, it would be cool if there was a mod for a backlit keyboard or even different color lights for the mod. Definately a feature I would use...as I do most of my computing at night.
one day you are going to wake up and
live.

Mojo
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 24, 2005, 10:17 PM

Or you can buy one of those nifty USB-powered lights that run about $20. Battery drain is minimal, particularly with the latest generation lights.

gcvt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 24, 2005, 10:25 PM

I don't see what good lights would be under solid plastic white keys. If the light shined up through the letters on the keys....well, that would be cool. I'm just not sure adding light(s) to the current keyboard would be much help though.

Kyros
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2005, 12:07 AM

Originally posted by sminch:
i've never cracked open the keyboard on my ibook but it can't be that hard, surely? there must be a fair but of room under there for yeah, a few rows of leds and a bit of wiring. power it off a usb maybe and you're sorted...

two months after i bought her there's no chance i'm trying this on mine, but i'd be keen to see other's attempts!

sminch
To open it you basically just pull it off from the top. Extremely easy. Not sure how much room is under it though.

Rob van dam
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 6, 2005, 08:08 AM

Originally posted by Mojo:
Or you can buy one of those nifty USB-powered lights that run about $20. Battery drain is minimal, particularly with the latest generation lights.

do kensington make those
Apple an innovator in a world of Immitators.
And thats the bottom line!!!!!!!!!

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 16, 2005, 08:29 AM

someone's done this... running blue or purplish LED's between key rows and around the keyboard. it looked like crap actually in the pictures he posted.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

segaslave
Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2005, 09:28 AM

on the fly keyboard light spell checker/typing aid. now that would be cool...

say your typing and as you type it highlights possible letters in another color for you to use(maybe flashing the most plausable letter).

would help the people that still need to look down at the keys while typing and dont see the auto spell checker on the screen filling in mistakes. and also help people that can spell but just dont know where the letters are located. and kids would do well with it.... some one pay me money for this idea quick
:rolleyes:

macman88  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2005, 12:02 PM

do you have a link to this ji?
ibook g4, 1.33ghz, 768mb

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 16, 2005, 12:27 PM

i don't know where i saw it. probably macnn, lol, but searching here and googling for a few minutes yielded nothing. go figure. anyway, it looked sickly.

FYI, the guy who did the thread on the Black iBook managed to install a backlit pbook keyboard in there. looked pretty weird being black and all, but there you have it.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

pwhite1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2005, 01:46 PM

You have two small clips to release at the top of the keyboard and the keyboard lifts right out. It would be fairly easy to replace the G4 keyboard with a G3 with the clear keys. There isn't a heck of a lot of room under the keyboard but there should be enough to put some small lights underneath. After all that's where the wireless network card is located

Phil

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 16, 2005, 04:06 PM

I don't see that major deal. Considering that's the reason we have the nipples on the f and j keys.

But for people that only use their index finders to type, it could be a major draw.

Ji Eun
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 17, 2005, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by pwhite1
You have two small clips to release at the top of the keyboard and the keyboard lifts right out. It would be fairly easy to replace the G4 keyboard with a G3 with the clear keys. There isn't a heck of a lot of room under the keyboard but there should be enough to put some small lights underneath. After all that's where the wireless network card is located

Phil
even if you could actually put lights 'under' the keyboard it makes no sense unless you drill holes in the keyboard since the keyboard bottom is metal, non-transluscent.

ah, found that page again. click the pic.

still looks crap to me.

12" iBook 1.2ghz / 1.2gb

gcvt
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2005, 03:13 AM

You're right Ji, that looks horrible....and is about what I expected.

pwhite1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 21, 2005, 12:41 AM

I'm not to wild about putting lights in my keyboard anyway. At least not in my I Book. My desktop system maybe. That's an easy one though since they make keyboards for the desktop computers anyway---if you want to spend the $79 they cost!

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 21, 2005, 07:17 AM

what's the link for that pic? :O
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

jamil5454
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2005, 10:03 AM

LEDs are useless unless you have clear keys for the light to shine through. Light coming from around the keys would make the actual letters on the keys harder, not easier, to see, right? Kinda like how you can't see the illumination of a traffic light when the sun is behind it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules