Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Does anyone still use Camino?

Does anyone still use Camino?
wingdo
Senior User
May 1, 2007, 11:28 AM

For the last several months I've been using Safari as my default browser with FireFox as my secondary. I am not really all that happy with FireFox's interface so I decided to re-try Camino. After downloading the latest build I went to PimpMyCamino � to grab some add ons to try and make Camino a full service browser. It seems that there is really nothing left for Camino, CamiSearch is no longer available, Inqusitor is no longer available, same for CamiBlock, CamiSearch and CamiTools. All the really good stuff for Camino seems to be gone.

Who is still using Camino, why and what add ons are you using?
MBP - 2.33GHz C2D, 3GB RAM, 256MB VRAM, 160GB HD
PB - 1.5GHz G4, 2GB RAM, 128MB VRAM, 80GB HD
PM - Dual 1GHzG4, 1.5GB RAM, NVidia GForce 3, 2x 80 GB HD

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2007, 11:36 AM

Why do you feel the need to "pimp" Camino with hacked in crap? The browser is fine as it is. You can add additional search engines and the 1.1 beta supports Flash-blocking natively.

allblue
Forum Regular
May 1, 2007, 12:08 PM

I have Camino in the dock next to Safari, but only use it when I have to go to a https site as Safari (1.3.2) won't get to them now for some reason.
"Believe nothing, no matter where you heard it, or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."

Buddha

Brien
Professional Poster
May 1, 2007, 12:46 PM

I use it when Safari doesn't work, too.

crazyjohnson
Grizzled Veteran
May 1, 2007, 01:44 PM

Camino is fine.

A lot of those "hacks" are obsolete - 1.1 is coming soon with a lot of those features built in. In the meantime, check out the beta [http://beta.caminobrowser.org/].
Change your world and you will change your mind.

wingdo  (op)
Senior User
May 1, 2007, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Why do you feel the need to "pimp" Camino with hacked in crap? The browser is fine as it is. You can add additional search engines and the 1.1 beta supports Flash-blocking natively.
Editing a plist file with TextEdit just seems like a PITA to add a search engine, when there were much easier ways to do it. I also really like inqusitor and am sad to see it is no longer available for Camino. that said, i did test out the latest builds of Camino and was pleased to see the trunk builds (Gecko 1.9 I assume) passes the Acid2 test.

I'll kick the tires of Camino for a couple weeks and see how it goes.

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2007, 08:08 PM

I used Camino for awhile, then switched back to Safari when 10.4 came out because it was faster at rendering and downloading etc. than Camino. Before that, Camino was faster. I use CamiTools (IIRC) Session Save and Restore script with Camino, which I still use occasionally when Safari doesn't render properly.
A related question: I like to keep a lot of tabbed windows open in my browser. Is it better (i.e. less performance hit) to use only Safari and have, say, a dozen or more Safari tabs open, or to use both Camino and Safari simultaneously and have the same number of windows open, but half in Camino and half in Safari?

cgc
Professional Poster
May 1, 2007, 09:12 PM

I use Firefox exclusively and would switch to Camino if their JavaScript would work right. I've installed that Java patch to enable all browsers to use the latest Apple JS but it does nothing to solve my problems.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2007, 09:23 PM

Part of the problem might be that you don't seem to understand the difference between Java and JavaScript.

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2007, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by wingdo View Post
For the last several months I've been using Safari as my default browser with FireFox as my secondary. I am not really all that happy with FireFox's interface so I decided to re-try Camino. After downloading the latest build I went to PimpMyCamino � to grab some add ons to try and make Camino a full service browser. It seems that there is really nothing left for Camino, CamiSearch is no longer available, Inqusitor is no longer available, same for CamiBlock, CamiSearch and CamiTools. All the really good stuff for Camino seems to be gone.

Who is still using Camino, why and what add ons are you using?
There are some very good extensions that I love and missed in FF when I used Camino for a month, last month. I like the Digg.com extension, the weather reader, the RSS reader ... Sorry folks, Camino just doesn't make the grade.

I think browsers have evolved from just READING web pages. I believe they are as important as word processors and spreadsheets, but much more useful. They help us check things out such as bank balances, interact with others at social networking sites, etc. Plain browsing, in my opinion, is about as exciting as sending text email.

You CAN do it, but WHY?

:dragonflypro:
Senior User
May 1, 2007, 11:34 PM

I keep wanting to use Camino, not sure why… maybe because it is pretty.

But I keep coming back to Safari for 90%. I keep FF on hand for all its webdev tools/extensions.

houstonmacbro
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2007, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by :dragonflypro: View Post
I keep wanting to use Camino, not sure why… maybe because it is pretty.

But I keep coming back to Safari for 90%. I keep FF on hand for all its webdev tools/extensions.
It (Camino) ain't all that pretty.

Sage
Mac Elite
May 2, 2007, 12:13 AM

I use it for the rare site or two that doesn’t work properly in Safari – launches faster than Firefox.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2007, 12:18 AM

Yes. I use it at home and work since it's faster (in general), the nightly/optimized build, and features.

JKT
Professional Poster
May 2, 2007, 02:42 AM

macosxhints.com - Polls in System

macosxhints.com - It's that time again -- Browser wars #8. Which web browser is your current favorite?

Look at the "browser wars" polls. Approx 12% of macosxhints.com readers use Camino as their primary browser (fwiw, I am not one of them, but I never have been either)

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
May 2, 2007, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL View Post
Part of the problem might be that you don't seem to understand the difference between Java and JavaScript.
As further clarification: Java and JavaScript are not related to each other. At all. The names are similar, but the languages and how they work are very different.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

philm
Mac Elite
May 2, 2007, 05:13 AM

I use Firefox with the 'GrApple' theme which makes it very Mac like in terms of looks. For me, it's the best of both words. Looks good, and is pretty much industry-standard so it works with all web sites.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
May 2, 2007, 07:25 PM

I use Camino full time, and find it quite good except for the few glaring bugs it has.
Linkinus is king.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 2, 2007, 07:35 PM

Firefox full time. Especially now with the Del.icio.us toolbar add-ons.

Evoken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2007, 08:09 PM

Safari full time, and Firefox for that odd page which doesn't works on Safari.

I have tried Camino, but have never liked it.

Evo

selowitch
Mac Elite
May 2, 2007, 08:14 PM

Camino's my default browser right now, on the theory that it would be Firefox with some Cocoa GUI elements. But since Camino is not really any faster on the Mac than FF, and that it's harder to add extensions, I may switch back to FF or to Safari. I keep thinking that maybe Camino will die, but the Mozilla folks insist they are going to continue development.

liquidsilver6840
Forum Regular
May 2, 2007, 08:40 PM

Nope... Camino was giving me some kind of problem when rendering pages. The pages started to flicker! I re-downloaded Firefox to use it as my default web browser. The only thing that I don't like about Firefox, and that Camino has, is the button style used. Camino's buttons look and feel like OS X, while Firefox's look like Win2000.

MacBook 1.83Ghz Core Duo / 1GB RAM / 60GB HDD
iPod Nano First Gen 1GB Black

Evoken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2007, 08:42 PM

^ You can use a theme for Firefox to make it look more mac like

cgc
Professional Poster
May 2, 2007, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
As further clarification: Java and JavaScript are not related to each other. At all. The names are similar, but the languages and how they work are very different.
I see I'll have to be more careful crafting my messages in here. My lawyers have reviewed this message and deemed it safe to post.

My college reports that "JavaScript 1.5 or higher is required..." I erroneously stated that the JavaEmbedded plugin should have corrected this, but that plugin "...allows other web browsers than Apple's Safari to use the most recent versions of Java (1.4.X) on Mac OS X." Since, as you pointed out, Java and JavaScript are two very different things, this wasn't a possible solution to my problem.

I think the gist of what I was saying earlier was simply that Camino still has a few limitations. I would love to move from FireFox to Camino but cannot yet.

liquidsilver6840
Forum Regular
May 2, 2007, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Evoken View Post
^ You can use a theme for Firefox to make it look more mac like
I downloaded iFox Smooth v2.4.4 and I still get the Win2000 buttons (by buttons I mean the one like "Submit Reply" and "Preview Post").

MacBook 1.83Ghz Core Duo / 1GB RAM / 60GB HDD
iPod Nano First Gen 1GB Black

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
May 2, 2007, 10:53 PM

I use Camino almost exclusively. Safari will always bog down after a while and still seems to have issues with gmail, although I know these have been fixed in the nightly builds. Still, I have always found Camino very stable and with a nice interface that never gets in the way. I also find the pop-up blocker in Camino to be much better than Safari's (I'm sure there must be some fancy extension to make it better in Safari, but I am talking out-of-the-box).

Evoken
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2007, 11:17 PM

liquidsilver6840 so do I. Firefox is very PC-like. Crappy port.
( Last edited by Evoken; May 2, 2007 at 11:47 PM. )

selowitch
Mac Elite
May 2, 2007, 11:38 PM

I actually think Shiira might be a better browser than Camino, although I admit I don't like the look of the latest beta.

littlevish
May 2, 2007, 11:44 PM

Camino 1.1 beta is my default browser. Just as stable as the last release, and has some of those old hacks built in. Much faster than Safari and it's got an awesome look.

cgc
Professional Poster
May 3, 2007, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Evoken View Post
liquidsilver6840 so do I. Firefox is very PC-like. Crappy port.
Firefox is a spectacular port it's just got a crappy GUI which can be fixed with FireFoxy and a nice theme (I use grApple UNO).

shinykaro
Forum Regular
May 3, 2007, 10:00 AM

I'm a fairly recent switcher, less than one year, and I installed Firefox as soon as possible on my iMac. But it's buggy! Randomly, it would crash or refuse to display CSS. So I moved on to Safari. But that one has its limitations too, and yes there are a lot of extensions, but even though it's my default browser, I find myself using Camino at least a third of the time.

The interface is clean and simple, it renders pages that Safari has trouble with, and I love the built in pop-up and ad blocking. I must confess to having a MySpace, and anyone who's used it knows how packed it is with annoying ads. Camino blocks 'em.

What's more, and I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but when I'm on a particularly slow Internet connection, like in my office, Safari becomes impossibly sluggish and I notice significantly higher speeds when using Camino. It could be a fluke, I don't know, but I wouldn't give it up.

passmaster16
Senior User
May 3, 2007, 07:52 PM

I've been using Camino since its Chimera days. In general, I've always found Camino to be slightly faster than Safari on newer machines. Years ago I would use Safari more on my iBook G3 because Camino was sluggish, but once I went to the G5 and now Mac Pro, I use Camino 75% of the time. I'm on a 1.1b nightly, and it's been solid. I still wish that they would use native text fields as there is still some delay when typing messages on forums such as this one. Overall I'm happy with the progress of it, and I'm glad they didn't stop development on it. I think it offers some nice features that Safari doesn't have.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
May 3, 2007, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by liquidsilver6840 View Post
I downloaded iFox Smooth v2.4.4 and I still get the Win2000 buttons (by buttons I mean the one like "Submit Reply" and "Preview Post").
That's because in-page widgets are not part of the browser UI, which is what themes change.

If you want prettier widgets, use my Firefoxy.

EndlessMac
Senior User
May 5, 2007, 02:14 AM

I use Camino off and on. Firefox is currently my main browser but it definitely has some bugs, but those bugs aren't annoying enough for me to switch. Although when using Camino I can definitely sense that it was made specifically for Mac whereas Firefox does feel like it's a port over from Windows. I never really liked Safari so it's either Firefox or Camino for me. Firefox also has some features I like that Camino doesn't have.

exlemor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 7, 2007, 02:26 AM

Hi there, I use Camino 1.1 beta since it first came out and often have 6-10 tabs open and it works great... better than Safari at rendering sites I go to [a lot of them; probably 200 different sites per week], faster than firefox/safari both loading and rendering. Shiira is new to me and decent but not free and not sold on whether it truly is better just yet. I use Opera a lot to check sites... since it is the most compliant / fastest browser...

mickeymac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2007, 03:35 PM

I really love the speed of Camino and it's "sleeker" interface, but the developers seem to be caught up in too many side projects to continue to advance Camino at the same pace as other browsers such as Safari or Firefox. I understand it's an open development project and the contributors have to work on many other projects, but it seems to be severly impacting the development timeline. From what I can tell, many features keep getting pushed out to future versions on the road map in an effort to get 1.1 (now 1.5) out the door.

So, I've been sucked back into using Safari for it's .Mac syncronization and RSS. Firefox continues to stride forward, and once Leopard brings us Safari 3, Camino will be even further behind. It's a shame - Camino is a great browser, but I'm afraid it's dying a long death due to lack of resources.

EndlessMac
Senior User
May 8, 2007, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by mickeymac View Post
I really love the speed of Camino and it's "sleeker" interface, but the developers seem to be caught up in too many side projects to continue to advance Camino at the same pace as other browsers such as Safari or Firefox. I understand it's an open development project and the contributors have to work on many other projects, but it seems to be severly impacting the development timeline. From what I can tell, many features keep getting pushed out to future versions on the road map in an effort to get 1.1 (now 1.5) out the door.

So, I've been sucked back into using Safari for it's .Mac syncronization and RSS. Firefox continues to stride forward, and once Leopard brings us Safari 3, Camino will be even further behind. It's a shame - Camino is a great browser, but I'm afraid it's dying a long death due to lack of resources.
That definitely is one of the problems with Camino. It does seem that the development is very slow and features that people want are added very slowly if at all. Camino is too basic for me at times. I miss some of the features that are found in Firefox. Other than that it is a good browser. I think Camino's biggest flaw is that it just doesn't give me a compelling reason to switch over permanently.

selowitch
Mac Elite
May 8, 2007, 04:45 PM

If they could come out with "Camino with Firefox extensions support," they would regain a lot more market share within the Mac OS sub-niche.

EndlessMac
Senior User
May 8, 2007, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by selowitch View Post
If they could come out with "Camino with Firefox extensions support," they would regain a lot more market share within the Mac OS sub-niche.
I agree considering it doesn't seem like Camino developers have much time to put into furthering Camino quickly, it would definitely be nice have other ways to gain features I feel are missing.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
May 8, 2007, 06:02 PM

I find myself using Camino more and more often. Firefox eats memory and Safari is really showing its age.

wingdo  (op)
Senior User
May 9, 2007, 11:44 AM

Well I've been using Camino a lot for the past week plus. Thanks to everyone who replied. You guys were right, much of what I used to need add ons for has now been built into Camino. I've pretty much stopped using FireFox altogether and my Safari usage is way down too. I've settled on the 1.5.1pre builds as they seem to be the most useful to me.

I do still wish there was a build of Inqusitor available for Camino as it is the only reason I still use Safari at all. It's just the best add on for I browser I have ever used.

For those who may be interested, I've found two optimized builders for the Intel code base of Camio (they also supply PPC only builds).

The default Camino site builds (Universal) weighs in at a file size of 40MB.

jcraig has optimized builds and the Intel binary weighs in at 23MB (Camino [2.0a1pre, 1.5.1pre, 1.5pre] (-O2, -i686) INTEL-ONLY - MozillaZine Forums)

The build I am using is even slimmer at a measly 20MB (Camino Branch (unified bar,-O2,-ftree-vectorize) - MozillaZine Forums)

As a side note, the reason I wanted to re-try Camino was that I've been having issues with WoW (yes, World of Warcraft). Frequently the game starts "stuttering" on me, massive fps drops. I could never find an issue with the game. I worked with the devs to tweak settings and even try out some settings that were at that time not yet published edits, nothing seemed to clear up things. I noticed that the problem did not happen every night, so I started keeping a log of what I wsa doing every night before playing and I noticed one glaring item. Every night that I had issues, FireFox was running in the background. I stopped running FF while playing and the issues went away. So I went back to Safari as my primary browser. I finally started using Camino and I've not had this issue with Camino. Gecko engine without all the issues of FF.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies.
( Last edited by wingdo; May 9, 2007 at 12:08 PM. )

bowwowman
Mac Elite
May 9, 2007, 06:34 PM

Camino...............use it, luv it, does what I need it to do

been that way since the early days,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Personally I find it hilarious that you have the hots for my gramma. Especially seeins how she is 3x your age, and makes your Brittney-Spears-wannabe 30-something wife look like a rag doll who went thru WWIII with a burning stick of dynamite up her a** :)

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2007, 07:58 PM

I use Camino every once in a while. It's nice on older slower Macs (aka, G3s).

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2007, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by selowitch View Post
The thing is, if they did that, it wouldn't be Camino anymore.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
May 9, 2007, 10:57 PM

I think they've discussed it at length. But I imagine the amount of work it would involve to make Firefox extensions work on Camino would not be worth the wait.

I think Camino's biggest problem will be if Safari in Leopard fixes all the memory leaks and slowdowns and also works on more sites (thinking of gmail and google docs there). But since Leopard is still a long way away maybe they don't have to worry too much. I would like it if they fixed some small problems, like the location bar searching bookmarks as well as history (seems like a small thing). Also, I don't know why they've made the search bar so tricky to change without using an add on. I'd like it to remember info I enter search boxes and fields on web sites too, like Safari and, gasp, even like IE 5 on Windows does.

Wevah
Senior User
May 10, 2007, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
My college reports that "JavaScript 1.5 or higher is required..."
Firefox and Camino use the same JavaScript engine. I am going to guess (based on similar cases in the past) that the website in question utilizes suboptimal detection in some places (though it's possible that it's getting false answers from Camino, I doubt it).
[Wevah setPostCount:[Wevah postCount] + 1];

seaj11
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2007, 04:40 PM

I love Camino. It's fast and much more reliable than Safari. I pimp it out with CaminIcon, Camino ExtraPrefs, CamiSession, CamiScript, and CamiTools.
15-inch 2002 iMac G4/800MHz; Mac OS X 10.4.10

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 16, 2007, 05:53 PM

BTW, this forum works best on Camino instead of Safari.

Forum Links
Forum Rules