Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Almost bought a macbook today

Almost bought a macbook today
cleary_jp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2007, 01:19 AM

I was in my local apple store today looking at both the imacs and macbooks. Im really not sure what to get. My last computer was a white imac, which was by far the best computer I have ever owned. I know people say you should only buy a laptop if you need the portability, and I don't really need a portable computer, although it would be nice to be able to move my computer around the house. I only use a computer for internet and music, so I don't need the better graphics card in the imac. One possibility that I have been thinking of is buying an external monitor for the macbook. Any opinions on what they think would be really helpful. Also does anyone know if the problems with heat and discoloration have been fixed with the currrent macbooks? And also what is the highest resolution I could have on the external monitor with a macbook? Sorry for the long rant!

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2007, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by cleary_jp View Post
I know people say you should only buy a laptop if you need the portability
I have never heard that suggestion before.

And also what is the highest resolution I could have on the external monitor with a macbook?
From Apple.com, "extended desktop and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 1920 by 1200 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors"

I only use a computer for internet and music
The MacBook should be fine. Do you still have the white iMac? which model is it exactly, G3, G4, G5, Intel? If it's still decent, a MacBook would be a nice 2nd Mac.

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 1, 2008, 04:05 PM

This article may provide some guidance. Desktops provide greater value, but I'd never go back to one after a decade of PowerBook portability. Much better for travel, for working or just surfing in different parts of the house ... it's really a lifestyle thing. Just be sure you use your MacBook in an ergonomically healthy fashion -- too many laptop users work in a way that can damage neck, wrists, back, or eyes.
I like the idea of a cheap external display for when you need the space, like in using graphics of photo apps. (I do nothing but text and the web, so my 15" PB screen is sufficient as desktop replacement.) You could always try a MacBook alone, and then get the external display if you find you need the extra screen space. Or as the previous writer suggested, you might consider using your old iMac, if you still have it, as a second computer for back up and big screen use, although you then have to deal with synching the two.

DCJ001
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 1, 2008, 05:45 PM

I don't need a large screen and I like being able to take my computer out of town with me. I've got a MacBook, with a keyboard and mouse from a previous Mac, with this stand (which is extremely stable):

Which gives the appearance of a 13.3" iMac:

Here are some options if you're looking to buy one:

Mstand Laptop Stand By Rain Design - Google Product Search

Here's the company's page:

mStand - specs
( Last edited by DCJ001; Jan 1, 2008 at 10:32 PM. )

kaygirardi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2008, 07:34 PM

Hi, I've got a macbook and it's fantastic.

Get this!!!! - When you plug it into an external monitor, it doesn't just chuck the screen onto the other screen, it opens up a whole new screen and runs the two simultaneously, and seemlessly, so if you have both going, you can have like your msn & emails running in one and be playing a game or watching a movie or whatever in the other. I'm 500 times more impresses with my macbook. Especially since I got the latest operating system etc. You'll get that for free. Bonus. And the new ilife.

Also, even if you don't really need the portability. You'll appreciate being able to cart it to your friends house occasionally. The best thing for me is I don't need a designated desk or anything. All the tables I use it at, I can do other stuff at too like eating, drawing, storing junk etc.

Not sure what resolution it gets up to on the external monitor but it's high. It looks fantastic on my 21inch crt monitor. I plug it in mainly to watch movies with friends and stuff because we don't have a normal dvd player for the tv.

If you do buy an external monitor I reckon get one with either firewire or a small dvi in socket. You can get mini-dvi to the small dvi cables for about $6.

cleary_jp  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2008, 05:14 AM

Thanks guys for your replies. Iv'e decided to get the macbook, but I'm going to wait until Macworld to see if Apple releases something interesting. I only have one question left that hasn't been answered. Iv'e seen alot on the net about discoloration and heat issues. Can anybody tell me if those problems have been resolved in the new C2D models?

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 3, 2008, 08:09 AM

Thanks guys for your replies. Iv'e decided to get the macbook, but I'm going to wait until Macworld to see if Apple releases something interesting. I only have one question left that hasn't been answered. Iv'e seen alot on the net about discoloration and heat issues. Can anybody tell me if those problems have been resolved in the new C2D models?
My wife has a 1st generation (2.0GHz Core Duo) white MacBook. No case discoloration at all. No heat problems, either. Its been very reliable.

And she wanted it instead of an iMac simply because it required less space on her desk. While I tend to sprawl out on the sofa with my laptop, she usually uses hers at her desk and rarely as a portable machine (and there's nothing else connected to it - we have Airport and the printers are all networked).

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jan 3, 2008, 08:47 AM

[QUOTE=cleary_jp;3567074 Iv'e seen alot on the net about discoloration and heat issues. Can anybody tell me if those problems have been resolved in the new C2D models?[/QUOTE]
That was an early on problem with the MacBook and I've not seen any recent reports. Additionally apple fixed the flawed computers so I think the issue is resolved.

macbookfreak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2008, 08:30 AM

Shrewd move, to wait 'til after MacWorld - who knows what wonders Steve will reveal?

I have a white C2D MacBook that's well-used but shows no signs of discoloration. I think they've got that problem sorted.

I've got a Rain Design stand as well. Nice design and very functional.

Yes! Yes! I admit it! I'm a MacBook Freak!

ankurcd
Jan 8, 2008, 01:23 PM

me waitin' for MWSF too...
.... Steve ... do give us something... anything...
Regards, Ankur
-----------------------------------
switching from windows (via a Macbook) right after Steve's keynote on MWSF Jan 15 '08...!!!

macfantn
Mac Elite
Jan 8, 2008, 02:17 PM

i want mwsf to get here NOW, i need a new computer.
"I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin', and hook up with them later"

ankurcd
Jan 13, 2008, 08:01 AM

Help! I am going to Zagreb (Croatia) for 2 weeks business trip... I would love to pick up a Macbook there after Steve's keynote on Tuesday... anyone knows any apple store or resellers in Zagreb? That way I can also get some duty back after I return!!!!

Thanks for taking the time!
Regards, Ankur
-----------------------------------
switching from windows (via a Macbook) right after Steve's keynote on MWSF Jan 15 '08...!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules