Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Thinking of getting a MacBook 2.1Ghz (White)... need some advice.

Thinking of getting a MacBook 2.1Ghz (White)... need some advice.
tanhauser
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 1, 2008, 02:01 AM

Hi all!!

I've been a dedicated Mac user since 1990 and I think it's time I upgraded, so I've been thinking about getting a new MacBook (2.1 Ghz, White). The thing is, it's been some time since I last upgraded, so I would like some advice regarding this. Here are a few details:

1. For the last 5 years I've been using a Powerbook 17" (1 GHz), which I bought in 2003. It's been a fantastic machine, never had any issues with it until last week, when my HDD died.
2. I use my mac mainly for work and internet. That is, I work mostly on documents (Pages), presentations (Keynote), spreadsheets (Numbers), checking email (Mail) and browsing the net.
3. Don't use my mac for gaming, so that's not important for me.
4. Don't think I need a MBP since I don't really do any heavy-duty work (e.g. Photoshop, video editing, etc.).
5. I have a 23" HD Apple Cinema Display that I can use with my mac as a second monitor.

That said, I would like some advice/input from MacBook owners about how good/bad the MacBook is, what are its pros and cons, what kind of performance upgrade can I expect, what recommendations you guys have, etc.

Thanks for any input, it's been a while since I bought a mac and I really appreciate any feedback!

F

tridentinecanon
Apr 1, 2008, 11:42 AM

If you only use your computer for work and the internet, you may consider keeping your PB for a couple more years. You really won't get anything significant if you sold it, and replacing the HD won't cost very much.

The MB will add some bells and whistles (like a iSight and built-in remote receiver), and for these reasons, you may desire to get one. It is a solid computer and will serve you well.

As far as performance upgrades, since you only use it for internet and "work" (I'm assuming work means Office or iWork), you'll probably notice that certain apps open faster, and Leopard will run more smoothly.

For the pros and cons, I recommend doing a quick forum search.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 1, 2008, 02:44 PM

Go for it. I use the MBAir (which is really just the MacBook with fewer ports) for the same uses and it works well for me (most of the time... issues with spotlight/time machine daemons lately). I'd throw 4GB third party RAM in it just because it's so cheap.

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2008, 10:22 PM

Well, I can honestly say that you won't go wrong with the MacBook for the type of usage you described. I have been nothing but happy with my black MacBook which I bought three weeks before the new ones came out. I considered taking this one back and "trading up", but the differences were so minimal, I didn't bother.

I do mainly what you were talking about doing on my MacBook, plus a little gaming (World of Warcraft), some light graphics and movie editing and things like that. If I could have afforded the bump to the $2400 MBP, I would have just for the dedicated graphics for gaming and the bigger screen, but I'm not unhappy in the least. I really love this MB, and wouldn't touch another PC on purpose!

the geek source
Twitter: @thegeeksource

amazing
Professional Poster
Apr 2, 2008, 01:34 PM

The MB will be fine, provided you're OK with the glossy screen. Glossy just won't work for some people, while others love it. So, you should go to a store and see how much the glossy reflections bother you.

You're the only one who knows what location(s) you're going to be using it in when it's not connected to the external monitor. If those locations include windows that will give the MB screen major problems with reflections, and if those locations represent a major portion of your computing time, then you may have a major source of possible unhappiness. Of course, it may be simple enough just to turn a chair or a desk sideways, and the problem may be gone.

If your work is paying for the laptop, get an MBP, matte screen.

harbinger75
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 2, 2008, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by amazing View Post
The MB will be fine, provided you're OK with the glossy screen. Glossy just won't work for some people, while others love it. So, you should go to a store and see how much the glossy reflections bother you.

You're the only one who knows what location(s) you're going to be using it in when it's not connected to the external monitor. If those locations include windows that will give the MB screen major problems with reflections, and if those locations represent a major portion of your computing time, then you may have a major source of possible unhappiness. Of course, it may be simple enough just to turn a chair or a desk sideways, and the problem may be gone.

If your work is paying for the laptop, get an MBP, matte screen.
This is just my opinion, but I think too many people fear the glossy screen when it really isn't that big of a deal. I've owned a ton of matte screen LCD's over the years, and the glossy screens I've had haven't given me any problems in any lighting.

I actually prefer them over matte screens due to the richness of the colors being displayed...and yes, I do a lot of graphics work on the side. I just don't see that the glossy screens are a detriment as much as they are a boon.
the geek source
Twitter: @thegeeksource

amazing
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2008, 11:49 AM

I recently sat with a friend's MB, and played around with seeing how bothersome the reflections were. Frankly, they bothered me a lot, and I could easily see getting serious eye fatigue. Since the conditions were similar to how I always use my laptop, I knew that a glossy screen would not be my preference.

All I'm saying is that it depends on how and where you mostly use the laptop. It also depends on how easily you get eye fatigue (and whether you even are aware of how eye fatigue impacts you.)

Christopera
Forum Regular
Apr 3, 2008, 05:34 PM

Eye fagique and glossy screens are a matter of light angle and light quantity. It is always best to have your computer screen at a 90 degree angle to any light source and have the surrounding light intensity to screen light intensity at about a 1:3 ratio. Doing this will significantly elimate screen glare no matter the screen type. However, a notebook is made to go places so you don't always have control of your environment like you might in an office setting, but keep these ideas in mind when picking your seat at the coffee shop can go a long way towards keeping your eyes happy.
MB 2.16ghz c2d 3gb/250gb

@pplejaxkz
Senior User
Apr 3, 2008, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Go for it. I use the MBAir (which is really just the MacBook with fewer ports) for the same uses and it works well for me (most of the time... issues with spotlight/time machine daemons lately). I'd throw 4GB third party RAM in it just because it's so cheap.
If you're really into versatility then the MBAir is another choice. Just not having an optical drive at hand at all times is too much of a con for me, personally.
Originally Posted by harbinger75 View Post
Well, I can honestly say that you won't go wrong with the MacBook for the type of usage you described. I have been nothing but happy with my black MacBook which I bought three weeks before the new ones came out. I considered taking this one back and "trading up", but the differences were so minimal, I didn't bother.

I do mainly what you were talking about doing on my MacBook, plus a little gaming (World of Warcraft), some light graphics and movie editing and things like that. If I could have afforded the bump to the $2400 MBP, I would have just for the dedicated graphics for gaming and the bigger screen, but I'm not unhappy in the least. I really love this MB, and wouldn't touch another PC on purpose!
I too use my Macbook for the same reasons. I do some graphics work and programming on the side and I have been nothing short of satisfied with my Macbook up until this point. The only thing I want to upgrade is my memory and even at 1GB I can still hold off until then.
Originally Posted by harbinger75 View Post
This is just my opinion, but I think too many people fear the glossy screen when it really isn't that big of a deal. I've owned a ton of matte screen LCD's over the years, and the glossy screens I've had haven't given me any problems in any lighting.

I actually prefer them over matte screens due to the richness of the colors being displayed...and yes, I do a lot of graphics work on the side. I just don't see that the glossy screens are a detriment as much as they are a boon.
I have heard a lot of talk between matte and glossy screen. My friend has a Powerbook and I while using it, I'd much rather have a glossy screen. The colors come in so clear and vibrant in my opinion. But this is really beating a dead horse, this topic has been discussed a good amount around the MacNN community.

-------
All in all my verdict is go for it! I think you'll be nothing short of satisfied with your choice.

brettcamp
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 6, 2008, 03:46 AM

I upgraded from a 2005 15" PB to a previous generation MacBook (big sale) last month. I love the screen (though noticed the viewing angle is narrower than the PB's was) and especially its brightness, love the new keyboard, much=improved performance, and overall solid feel of it. It really feels like the ideal computer; I don't even use an external display and it's my only computer. All would be well except the hard drive died this morning. They replaced it at the Apple Store (no charge of course) and Time Capsule restored all my data, as far as I can tell. Otherwise no complaints, but of course that's a pretty major one. No harm done, fortunately.

Forum Links
Forum Rules