Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple Store is down

Apple Store is down
Andy8
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2011, 07:05 AM

Or should it be the App Store is down perhaps?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2011, 09:06 AM

Both back up now.

I got some plans for those quad-core Mini Servers.
Mac Pro is now the only Mac without Thunderbolt where it really should have been the first to get it. Are its days numbered?

Has anyone heard any rumblings about the possibility of running TCP/IP over Thunderbolt?
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2011, 09:11 AM

It's time for a brand spanking new Mac Pro. New case, new everything. How long have we had the giant cheese graters we have now? 7 or 8 years?

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2011, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
It's time for a brand spanking new Mac Pro. New case, new everything. How long have we had the giant cheese graters we have now? 7 or 8 years?
I got my MDD in 2002 and there was one bump after mine before the G5 came out in that form factor. 2003 sounds about right, but hey, if it aint broke don't fix it. (but feel free to add bluray and thunderbolt.)
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2011, 10:19 AM

It is 8 years. And they are only as big as they are because of the ludicrously huge heat sinks and water coolers required by the G5s.

We desperately need a rack-mountable server class Mac or Apple risk going backwards and annoying a lot of business and Enterprise users. I know its not a money spinner (yet) but its not like they can't afford to keep it ticking over and I can't imagine they were losing money on it.

A lot of people, not just Apple employees worked very hard to convince people that Macs are not just toys. It would be a real shame to see that work go to waste and that reputation to return.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2011, 10:24 AM

Sooooo, the new Mini went down to $599 but... It no longer has an optical drive. In fact, you can no longer buy a Mini with an optical drive.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2011, 10:38 AM

I did not expect Apple to remove the optical drive from the Mac mini this soon. In laptops, it might make sense when the owner has a desktop machine, but I think this is a bad move, unless Apple has reduced the price of the external drive, which I doubt.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2011, 10:47 AM

I agree, I use my optical drive all the time. Still, you can get an external for $35 bucks or so, so ultimately, it's not a big deal.

I wonder how long the disc drive has in the MacBook Pros, iMacs and Mac Pros. I have a feeling it's days are very numbered.

Also, none of these new Macs come with any form of install disc. You are supposed to boot off of an emergency partition in case something goes wrong. I don't get it though. What happens if I buy a new hard drive and want to do a clean install? Can I make an installer from what I get in the box?

I feel like I have to throw away everything I've learned over the years and start anew. It's kind of annoying. Why not just give us a disc? They are just being stubborn.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2011, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
I agree, I use my optical drive all the time. Still, you can get an external for $35 bucks or so, so ultimately, it's not a big deal.

I wonder how long the disc drive has in the MacBook Pros, iMacs and Mac Pros. I have a feeling it's days are very numbered.

Also, none of these new Macs come with any form of install disc. You are supposed to boot off of an emergency partition in case something goes wrong. I don't get it though. What happens if I buy a new hard drive and want to do a clean install? Can I make an installer from what I get in the box?

I feel like I have to throw away everything I've learned over the years and start anew. It's kind of annoying. Why not just give us a disc? They are just being stubborn.
I thought the macbook airs came with a flash drive with the OS on it. Did they switch it so all macs without an optical drive have a backup partition? I would hate for that to be true.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2011, 10:59 AM

45/47

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2011, 11:13 AM

Apple has cancelled the white MacBook, again. The entry-level options are now restricted to the 11" MacBook Air and the 13" MacBook Pro.

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 20, 2011, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Apple has cancelled the white MacBook, again. The entry-level options are now restricted to the 11" MacBook Air and the 13" MacBook Pro.
To be fair, doesn't the 11" MBA have the same resolution that the 13" MB had?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jul 20, 2011, 12:38 PM

The white MacBook is still available for Edu customers for now.

I would have assumed that the new Macs came with a Lion USB stick like the previous MacBook Air but there is now this fancy Lion Recovery feature.
OS X Lion: About Lion Recovery

I already removed the optical drive from my MBP and I rarely miss it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules