Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Operating a Mac Without a Mouse

Operating a Mac Without a Mouse
TonTaub
Forum Regular
Location: Sitting in a Viennese Cafe and drinking my Melange.
Aug 31, 2004, 03:36 AM

Hi All,

I just booted from a testing partition (10.3.4) and somehow it happend that the mouse didn't work.

So I wanted to leave it and hit the power button to get the reboot menu.

Then I noticed that I can't get to the "restart" button with the keyboard. Ok, just pressing enter ("shutdown") and starting up wasn't a big problem, but I often use the keyboard in certain apps (like Photoshop) and now I'm aware of that I've to change to the mouse just for a single dialog - which is not my idea of fluent and ergonomic working.

Any idea how to get around this in an elegant way?

Thanks a lot, :-) Michael.
May 19th 2004: Switching Day! ( AlBook.G4/1,5GHz/768MB/80GB.5400rpm/128MB.VRAM/Superdrive/10.3.9 )
ok, that is history! :-)

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2004, 05:15 AM

When the power dialog comes up press R to restart.

TonTaub  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2004, 05:24 AM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
When the power dialog comes up press R to restart.
hat

Ok, that helps in the case of rebooting.
But how's that within an app like Photoshop?

I just tried elsewhere where this typical "do you want to replace"-dialog comes in case of saving a file or such.

Default is "Cancel" (which makes sense) but unlike on other systems I can't get to "Replace" using just the keyboard.

Any ideas?

Michael.
May 19th 2004: Switching Day! ( AlBook.G4/1,5GHz/768MB/80GB.5400rpm/128MB.VRAM/Superdrive/10.3.9 )

geekwagon
Senior User
Aug 31, 2004, 06:17 AM

System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard Shortcuts -> enable "Turn on full keyboard access"

Now you can use tab to highlight all the controls in a window or sheet (the current selection will have a blue halo around it) and press enter or space to push the button or what have you. You can even turn on "highlight links with tab key" in Safari but that feature drives me absolutely batty in IE so I tend to leave that off.

Even when this is turned off, some programs allow you to respond to dialog boxes or sheets with cmd-<first letter of the option you want> but annoyingly that doesn't seem to be universal.. If anyone knows why I would appreciate knowing.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Aug 31, 2004, 06:19 AM

Get a new mouse?

TonTaub  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2004, 07:18 AM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
Get a new mouse?
*LOL* the "Mouse Problem" was because of a broken disk clone - the mouse is perfectly ok. That just brought up this rather general question.

On my PowerBook I'm pretty fast when it comes to go through hundreds of images resizing them with Photoshop Actions - then I just use the keyboard - I just don't want to reach over to the mouse (trackpad is better but not ideal).

Michael.

TonTaub  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 31, 2004, 07:20 AM

Originally posted by geekwagon:
System Preferences -> Keyboard & Mouse -> Keyboard Shortcuts -> enable "Turn on full keyboard access"
That looks pretty good! I tried this on our old and trusty 10.2.8 system here.

Thanks a lot!! :-) Michael.

SS3 GokouX
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 31, 2004, 11:23 AM

Universal Access > "I have trouble with the..." Mouse and turn on Mouse Keys, when you absolutely have no way of using the keyboard to navigate through an application. You can use the number pad to control the mouse. It's not the most enjoyable experience you will ever have, but some apps just refuse to respond to full keyboard access (specifically background applications that spawn error windows, you can't command-tab to them).
( Last edited by SS3 GokouX; Aug 31, 2004 at 05:40 PM. )

"And I will rule you all with an iron fist! You! OBEY THE FIST!" -Invader Zim

Rickster
Mac Elite
Aug 31, 2004, 05:17 PM

Also, Cmd-R (or sometimes just R) often works as a shortcut for "Replace" when saving a file that conflicts with an existing one.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

Forum Links
Forum Rules