Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 17" bag/case

17" bag/case
yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 15, 2003, 02:18 AM

what are some good bags/cases for the 17" powerbook. Im looking for style yet functionality. Something big so I can store a lot yet not to big that it is bulky.

laseca
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2003, 02:47 AM

Originally posted by yoyoman:
what are some good bags/cases for the 17" powerbook. Im looking for style yet functionality. Something big so I can store a lot yet not to big that it is bulky.
Apple sells the Brenthaven backpack and shoulder case specifically designed for the 17" Powerbook. I believe they are exclusive to Apple. Go to the store and run through the routiine of ordering the Powerbook and you'll get to the page showing the extras you can buy. Click on the "Learn More" link for pictures and detailed info.

sonoronos
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2003, 03:10 AM

I've been most impressed with the Booq Folee Messenger 17.
It's a cavernous bag with a built-in laptop sleeve, and most
important it looks rather stylish...

http://www.booqbags.com/folee.html

Wet Jimmy
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2003, 03:13 AM

Tom Bihn bags rock. Try the Smart Alec and Monolith combo. You can't beat it.

Sean Li
Forum Regular
Apr 15, 2003, 05:20 AM

Just to add another option and make things more confusing, check out Waterfield Designs at http://www.sfbags.com/ - they make the Racer-X for the 17", IMO one of the better bags out there, particularly if you want a less bulky bag.

They also have customizable Sleevecases, which I highly recommend for added protection, or if you're going to put the PowerBook in a larger case / briefcase.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2003, 07:10 AM

Personally, I think the 17" Brenthaven Shoulder Case is an amazing bag, and definitely worth taking a look at. I've written a full review on it that may help you decide here: Click HERE

Good luck in your decision!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

JakBeatZ
Forum Regular
Apr 15, 2003, 08:24 AM

I've looked at everything -- Brenthaven, Tom Bihn, Waterfield Designs, Spire, Booqbags, etc.

I didn' want a shoulderbag so that ruled out Waterfield and Booqbags. Something shyed me away from the Brenthaven bags so it was down to the Spire Meta w/boot and the Tom Bihn Brain Bag w/monolith. In the end I went with the Spire Meta because the Monolith didn't fasten to the Brain bag in any way -- only the brain cell fastens to the brain bag. The monolith is too big and the Brain Bag wasn't totally designed for it from what I can see. The Meta/Boot combination won because the boot fits perfectly into the Meta and it's fastened. Additionaly, the boot has a velcro cover as opposed to the Monolith which has a zipper. I didn't want to risk scratching up Big Al with a zipper so Beta/Boot it is. Here are the links of the two:

http://www.spireusa.com/Merchant2/me...oduct_Code=ME3

http://www.tombihn.com/Merchant2/mer...egory_Code=100

Wet Jimmy
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2003, 08:38 AM

Originally posted by JakBeatZ:
In the end I went with the Spire Meta because the Monolith didn't fasten to the Brain bag in any way
If you're after a smaller and sleeker bag than the Bbrain Bag, the Monolith fastens to the Smart Alec - the bag it was designed for.

Originally posted by JakBeatZ:
I didn't want to risk scratching up Big Al with a zipper so Beta/Boot it is.
FYI, the Monolith has a plastic zipper - unlikely to scratch Big Al...

The thing I like about the monolith, aside from the hard plastic shell and ample padding, is the fact that the PB sits suspended from the bottom of the sleeve by about an inch, providing plenty of extra shock protection from any unexpected drops. It's certainly the best sleeve I've come across.

Choosing a bag isn't easy, is it?

JakBeatZ
Forum Regular
Apr 15, 2003, 09:04 AM

Originally posted by Wet Jimmy:
If you're after a smaller and sleeker bag than the Bbrain Bag, the Monolith fastens to the Smart Alec - the bag it was designed for.
I was looking for a little extra space than what the Smart Alec had. Also, I liked the layout of the Meta.

FYI, the Monolith has a plastic zipper - unlikely to scratch Big Al...

The thing I like about the monolith, aside from the hard plastic shell and ample padding, is the fact that the PB sits suspended from the bottom of the sleeve by about an inch, providing plenty of extra shock protection from any unexpected drops. It's certainly the best sleeve I've come across.
Oh, plastic eh! Cool. That gives it a brownie point!

As far as I understand it, the Meta has a hard plastic shell insert aswell that the boot fits into. It too is fastened, maybe suspended -- need to check or wait until it arrives to be sure.

Choosing a bag isn't easy, is it?
You're telling me.. sheesh!

Buzzfish
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 15, 2003, 10:00 AM

not many people have mentioned Marware's new bag:
http://www.marware.com/SFExtreme.html

It looks like a solid bag, but I just ordered one so I won't know until i get it.

For the price, I figure it worth a shot.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 15, 2003, 01:42 PM

Originally posted by Buzzfish:
not many people have mentioned Marware's new bag:
http://www.marware.com/SFExtreme.html

It looks like a solid bag, but I just ordered one so I won't know until i get it.

For the price, I figure it worth a shot.
Looks boaring. something that looks rad. Excitment. Something so that when I walk around people go ooo what is that he has in his bag. So far only a few looks neat.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2003, 02:59 PM

Looks boaring. something that looks rad. Excitment. Something so that when I walk around people go ooo what is that he has in his bag. So far only a few looks neat.
You enjoy attractive thieves, no?

Of course that may *seem* like a good idea to have a flashy bag, but a flashly bag is a more attractive target to theives, thus I'd get a stealthy bag. There's no need to brag, as long as you know what's in there, it's all good.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

b3b0p
Forum Regular
Apr 15, 2003, 03:26 PM

I have owned 3 sleeve/bag combos. I sent one back and continue to use the other 2.

The first one I baught was the Timbuk2 Mogwai w/ sleeve and every option available except logo color change (the mogwai, was their computer commuter bag, which they are redesigning and you can't buy right now). Simply an awesome bag! If you want room, padding, and lots of versitility in a bag this is the one. Unfortunately it is not a backpack. I am only 5ft 4in. and if I was just an inch or two (maybe more) taller this bag would work perfect for me (I still kick/bump it a little as I walk even though the shoulder strap is about as short as it will go comfortably)

The second one I ordered was the Tom Bihn (Bin) Monolith/Smart Alec combo. I sent back the sleeve before I even got the smart alec. It is nice, but the monolith is pretty damn tall and the zipper was kinda trouble some. I felt like I was going to scratch my Powerbook when I slipped it in and out. I can't say much about the bag except for what Darcy, the lady taking orders and answering the phone when I called told me.

The third bag was the Brenthaven backpack. Another great bag! But, don't expect to be putting more then a book (or 2 maybe) and/or some magazines along the the usual Power Adapter, Mouse, Cell phone, and gameboy. The sleeve has a shell, and does suspend the Powerbook up an inch or two like the monolith. But unlike the monolith, the sleeve has a padding on top and uses velcro to close and attach to the backpack. The packback also has padding on the bottom and back, unlike the smart alec (well, that is what Darcy, the lady who I talked to at Tom Bihn said).

Bottomline:

although I prefer the backpack for comfortability (probably because I am so short and the weight distribution is a little better when carrying heavy loads), the Timubuk2 is my preferred Bag/Sleeve combo for everyday use because I can fit Books (like 3+ 300+ college texts easily), folders and notebooks, my lunch (I am cheap brown bagger; How do you think I baught my 17" powerbook?), mouse, cell, power adapter, gameboy + games, and just about anything else that would fit into a typical bag pocket. I can only fit one (two if I push it) books in to the brenthaven and I cannot fit my lunch in it (atleast when I have books I can't). Otherwise, everything else seems to fit just fine. But like I said, when I walk I bump it a little because I am kinda short, which is my only complaint. The Timbuk2, when worn properly does not make you tilted as you walk. The strap goes across you chest and the bag will sit on the lower/middle back (depending how tall you are in my case). So it is not too bad when carrying all my stuff compared to some previous laptop bags I have had.

If I had to rate them:

Timbuk2: 9.0 (lots of room/protection. Bump when I walk. Customizable - color/pockets/features. Expensive.)

Tom Bihn: 7.0 (never got the smart alec, but the monolith seemed rugged and very protective)

Brenthaven: 8.0 (very comfortable, just needs more depth to fit my lunch and an extra book. Plain black. Vertical 17" sleeve is long.)

Chris
( Last edited by b3b0p; Apr 15, 2003 at 03:36 PM. )

baglunch
Forum Regular
Apr 15, 2003, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by AssassyN:

Of course that may *seem* like a good idea to have a flashy bag, but a flashly bag is a more attractive target to theives, thus I'd get a stealthy bag. There's no need to brag, as long as you know what's in there, it's all good. :)
I totally agree, i prefer my hi-frills things in no-frills packaging, in a nice brown paper bag.

Here's what I did to get a not so "hi, i'm a laptop bag" bag:

Accessorizing..
So now that I have my super sweet apple powerbook, what do i lug it in? Well that was a tough decision with all the (expensive) options out there. I decided that I didn't want to spend that much, and didn't my bag to look like it was a laptop backpack or like a raver nightmare (aka too tech).

To protect it I opted for the Tom Bihn Monilith which features lots of padding plus a suspension feature for the bottom so the laptop never effectively contacts the ground:

I also got an icover to protect the screen, this also serves as a handy screenwipe:

The monolith worked great, and did everything i expected but now i needed something to put it in, because of the suspension feature it uses it didn't fit into my g-bag, which has built in speakers (great for presentations), and i got for free. Sure it's pretty flashy looking but its function outwieghs its form:

So after searching for a waterproof backpack, and sifting through 1000 hits, I found that the options available were either too expensive, or too corny for words (too tech, or complex looking with too many colors). Eventually while visiting some friends at their job i found this bag:

it has everything i needed: lots of pockets, waterproof, fits my laptop in it's sleeve, and it was basic yet stylish looking.

Eventually I may Macguyver (tm) my g-bag's speaker system into my Supreme bag if I feel it becomes a necessity, and I'm daring at the time.
( Last edited by baglunch; Apr 15, 2003 at 05:50 PM. )

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 15, 2003, 10:10 PM

whos gonna steal it. If you have it on you at all times. Why would some one steal a back pack becuase it looks cool. What would happen to people at school then. They would get stolen every day if that was the case. The osiris one looks great with the black case for it. Perfect.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 15, 2003, 10:53 PM

whos gonna steal it. If you have it on you at all times. Why would some one steal a back pack becuase it looks cool. What would happen to people at school then. They would get stolen every day if that was the case. The osiris one looks great with the black case for it. Perfect.
You obviously haven't been to New York or ran into people in the world that have no regards to morals, and those that steal go after the most attractive things as they clearly look more valueable.

Why do you think it's not smart to plaster your vehicle with audio decals when you have a $5,000 sound system. Why would you want to advertise to theives? Trust us, you'll get enough gawking simply by pulling your PB out of the bag, a beautiful and flashy bag would wear thin very quickly in my honest opinion. Why run the risk of attracting any more attention than possible to your valueable computer? There will be time in which you'll need to sit your bag down for moments, to pick up your newspaper, get your coffee or keys, etc., and it only *takes* a moment for an experienced theif to walk away with it.

But seriously, do exactly as you please. But if you've never had experience with theives, I'm warning you, you don't want to attract attention. You shouldn't mind if other people are "wowed" by your notebook bag, it's what's inside that counts.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

iDORK
Forum Regular
Apr 15, 2003, 11:34 PM

I just ordered the Incase 17" Leather Sleeve Case: here

It's thin, lightweight, and simple.

I'm also planning on buying the Volt XL backpack from Spire when they receive more in-stock.

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2003, 11:58 PM

Of course that may *seem* like a good idea to have a flashy bag, but a flashly bag is a more attractive target to theives, thus I'd get a stealthy bag. There's no need to brag, as long as you know what's in there, it's all good.
I definitely agree with this. I do a decent amount of travelling over long distances, so I get pretty worn and spaced out. So, I basically wanted a bag that would do three things.

1. Not SCREAM laptop.

2. Carry only what I needed, nothing else. (I travel light: iPod, Bose Quiet Comfort Headphones, 17", charger, extra battery)

3. Have some sense of style.

As a result, I ended up getting a PowerSleeve17 from booq. I haven't received it yet, but I did talk with their customer support. It carries exactly what I need (or so customer service says), looks good, and doesn't scream laptop (PB sits vertically in bag, odd dimensions disguise laptop). I'd say mission accomplished!

http://www.booqbags.com/ps17.html
Ryan

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

beanman
Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2003, 12:29 AM

Originally posted by Sean Li:
Just to add another option and make things more confusing, check out Waterfield Designs at http://www.sfbags.com/ - they make the Racer-X for the 17", IMO one of the better bags out there, particularly if you want a less bulky bag.

They also have customizable Sleevecases, which I highly recommend for added protection, or if you're going to put the PowerBook in a larger case / briefcase.
Let me just say that the quality of Waterfield Designs are superb. I don't have a bag, but did invest in a sleevcase that fits(remarkably well) into my existing book/messenger bag. The protection is top notch and not bulky at all.

I also order a camera case from Waterfield and love it as well. They make some great stuff. I ordered the sleevecase sometime after my camera case. I got a hand written thanks on my invoice saying thanks again for my order as I was emailed by Gary after my first purchase and I told him that I loved the case and most likely would buy from them once my PowerBook arrived. And so I did. And to me, I like that kind of busines.

Gary's a good guy and he'll take care of your Powerbook. He also designs some quality stuff over there.

PowerBook 17" | 1GHz | 1Gb RAM | 60G

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 16, 2003, 01:06 AM

You obviously haven't been to New York or ran into people in the world that have no regards to morals, and those that steal go after the most attractive things as they clearly look more valueable.

Why do you think it's not smart to plaster your vehicle with audio decals when you have a $5,000 sound system. Why would you want to advertise to theives? Trust us, you'll get enough gawking simply by pulling your PB out of the bag, a beautiful and flashy bag would wear thin very quickly in my honest opinion. Why run the risk of attracting any more attention than possible to your valueable computer? There will be time in which you'll need to sit your bag down for moments, to pick up your newspaper, get your coffee or keys, etc., and it only *takes* a moment for an experienced theif to walk away with it.

But seriously, do exactly as you please. But if you've never had experience with theives, I'm warning you, you don't want to attract attention. You shouldn't mind if other people are "wowed" by your notebook bag, it's what's inside that counts.
2 things only would use it at school and some ones home. When doing video editing at a park no one would be there that would steal it.
Also if i went to a mall and started to use it. why would I grab a newspaper when I can just go online and view the news. Coffie near a expensive laptop. I don't think so. 3200 dollars im not risking it. ALso get a lock make it so u need a pw to log in.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 16, 2003, 01:09 AM

2 things only would use it at school and some ones home. When doing video editing at a park no one would be there that would steal it.
Also if i went to a mall and started to use it. why would I grab a newspaper when I can just go online and view the news. Coffie near a expensive laptop. I don't think so. 3200 dollars im not risking it. ALso get a lock make it so u need a pw to log in.

No one will steal. Pluse the bags people gave links 2 look more like a 17inch laptop bag. Becuase its so small and think. A really cool back pack would look more normal and wont be able to tell if you have a laptop. If some one where to try to steal a laptop from me I would snap there neck. I swear.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2003, 08:56 AM

Judging by your immaturity and your atrocious attempts at forming standard sentences I'm almost convinced trying to convince you of a fact of life that theives like flasly objects was futile. Do as you please, and good luck w/ your bag.

BTW, "snap their neck"...they don't allow PBs in jail.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 16, 2003, 01:07 PM

BTW, "snap their neck"...they don't allow PBs in jail. [/B][/QUOTE]

What I am saying is that no one will take my laptop. Yes I will do what I have to so that people wont steal from me, not that they would. Cali is pretty safe where I am. The smaller bags attract more people than the Osiris bag would ever, just becasue you would see a odd shape. If some one where to steal a laptop they need the password any ways to log on right?

freud
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2003, 02:03 PM

Password? I don't think so. They will reformat the drive. A thief looking for his next fix won't care about what's on it. I will always keep a watchful eye on my PB, even among friends. In the end you can only blame yourself for being negligent if it gets stolen.

tonewheel
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 16, 2003, 02:11 PM

Clearly, naive people who haven't been "around the block" yet. Your cozy campus isn't the real world, btw.

Don't kid yourself. Your possessions, including your computer, are high on the list of many thieves waiting for their next take. Buy the best bag you can afford that will protect your computer and accommodate your accessories. And just keep your bag close to your side at all times.

yoyoman  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 16, 2003, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by tonewheel:
Clearly, naive people who haven't been "around the block" yet. Your cozy campus isn't the real world, btw.

Don't kid yourself. Your possessions, including your computer, are high on the list of many thieves waiting for their next take. Buy the best bag you can afford that will protect your computer and accommodate your accessories. And just keep your bag close to your side at all times.
2 things also. Im gonna get a mini lock for my bag. Password for my powerbook. I have been around the block but not with a laptop. I have had to deal with punks out there bigger than me. And i managed. lol. Osiris sounds like a good bag.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2003, 02:34 PM

I'm astounded here...do you honestly think a "lock" will stop a thief? People steal cars, they can certainly manage to break a simple lock to get a laptop computer. And a password? The thief would promptly reformat & reinstall the operating system in the first place, they wouldn't want your files and your setup.

Anyway, you've gotten the point (I guess...) that you shouldn't choose a flashly bag because it'll only attract more attention which is something you shouldn't want. Best of luck at any rate.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Apr 16, 2003, 02:37 PM

Personally, I ordered the booq bag. It has pockets to hold items, but is still relatively minimalist. What I would suggest for any student is getting a sleeve from some place like www.madsonline.com and putting that in a normal backpack. I did this with my Ti, and I just slid it right in my backpack from JanSport. Nearly everyone on campus had one of these, so mine blended in quite well. I still had room at the top, so I'm convinced a 17" would fit in there. And since it has two main compartments, you can easily separate your PB from any other items you may have such as books and binders. Just one more way to avoid damage. Worked quite well for me.

baglunch
Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2003, 02:41 PM

Osiris sounds like a good bag.
if you get this you'll need a vertical laptop sleeve to go with it since it doesn't come with one. Also, if you use the 17" you'll need to get the larger model bag:

The other model that I have with the detachable speakers (product info) is too stout to fit the 17".

In case you're still interested in it, this beast takes 12 AA batteries, and eats them for lunch. Invest in 24 (high capacity) rechargable AA NiCa batteries, your wallet with thank you.

baglunch
Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2003, 02:46 PM

BTW, "snap their neck"...they don't allow PBs in jail.
A friend and I were talking about this when I first got the 17" hotplate. If someone's going to rob me for it they might as well just go and shoot me because I'm not giving it to them, and if they shoot me i'll make sure it hits the pb, at which point they might as well not even bother because they're not walking away with anything. I'd rather smash it on the ground than let anyone walk away with it.

baglunch
Forum Regular
Apr 16, 2003, 02:48 PM

[B]I'm astounded here...do you honestly think a "lock" will stop a thief?
Agreed, I've seen people walk away with whole display cases in order to steel a watch in a store, for a $3200+ laptop i'm sure they'd be willing to run a marathon with a chair or table.

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 16, 2003, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by baglunch:
Agreed, I've seen people walk away with whole display cases in order to steel a watch in a store, for a $3200+ laptop i'm sure they'd be willing to run a marathon with a chair or table.
Absolutely, lol.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

tainibaebi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 16, 2003, 07:47 PM

anyone tried Waterfield's large cargo bag + sleevecase combination?

freud
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2003, 01:15 AM

I just got my Tom Bihn Mitre sleeve. Got it in a couple days. It has no pockets, but that's ok because it can go in my briefcase. And while I'm using it, the sleeve makes a nice soft pad I can keep my Book on.

Nicoleto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2003, 01:38 AM

I bought this bag pack for the 17". It is very strong and has lots of room.
It was a little bit big for my taste, so I took the two small side bags off.

you can see more models here

Clive BagPack

Paul Huang
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 18, 2003, 02:05 AM

I wouldn't place the 15.2" or 17" in anything other than a custom-made Pelican or ZEROHilliburton case. The ZERO case is a bit conspicuous, but it sure does a better job at protecting the aluminum/titanium foil than flexible cases. You can't protect something that flexes with something flexible.

I travel around the globe more than three times each year. I KNOW what it takes to protect something as flimsy as the PowerBooks.

chris36
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2003, 04:59 AM

I just bought the deliciously Crumpler's wacko-phone. Superb bag with lots of interior pockets and protection!!!

checked it out!
http://www.crumpler.com.au/public/select/crumpler.html

tritonus
Senior User
Apr 18, 2003, 05:31 AM

I'm deciding between booqbags.com PowerSleeve 17 and sfbags.com WF sleeve with shoulder strap.

Opinions on the two?
SwitCHerland, Europe
17" PowerBook 1GHz | WaterField SleeveCase | LaCie d2 250GB | AirPort Extreme BS, AirPort Express | iPod photo 60GB

Forum Links
Forum Rules