Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PowerBook UJ-815 SuperDrive: What firmware do you have?

View Poll Results: What SuperDrive firmware did your powerbook ship with?
Poll Options:
12" AluBook with D0CB firmware 33 votes (22.92%)
12" AluBook with other firmware (please post) 0 votes (0%)
15" TiBook with D0C4 firmware 63 votes (43.75%)
15" TiBook with other firmware (please post) 1 votes (0.69%)
17" AluBook with D0C7 firmware 0 votes (0%)
17" AluBook with DWDB firmware 45 votes (31.25%)
17" AluBook with other firmware (please post) 0 votes (0%)
I've got a non-Apple UJ-815! (please post) 2 votes (1.39%)
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll
PowerBook UJ-815 SuperDrive: What firmware do you have? (Page 2)
Rational_User
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 24, 2003, 08:57 PM

The dirve can write to Sony DVD-RW (rev1.1) though.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 24, 2003, 10:01 PM

Originally posted by Rational_User:
Drive has firmware DWDB / MMC-3

it cannot write to Fuji-DVD-RW or Intenso DVD-RW

It cannot read any DVD+R/+RW I have burned on a DRU-500A. Very disappointing. Hopefully there will be an updater with improved read/write abilities for the uj-815.
I wouldn't be surprised if it couldn't read any brand of +R/W. I'm sure Matsushita considers it the enemy format.

P.S. We made the MacNN front page.

all2ofme
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 25, 2003, 04:44 AM

I wonder if there's anything about these firmware versions peculiar to the models of Powerbook that they come in. Apart from people such as Eug who've flashed theirs with another version or myself who got back a fixed machine with a different version they all seem to be cleanly divided up into three groups, depending on which machine the drive is in.

I wonder if my new drive (DOCB) was cannibalised from a poor 12" that had something else wrong with it...

Probably as simple as the release dates of the machines, but maybe not.

Let us know what you get it back with!

Originally posted by JeffHarris:
My 15" TiBook has a DOC4 drive.

Since it recently decided NOT to read or even mount DVDs, I'll be curious to see what Apple replaces it with!

Rational_User
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 25, 2003, 06:33 PM

I think these days, most dvd players support _reading_ both + and - versions of dvd r/rw. (three dvd roms and writers I have read both + and - and so does my sony NS900 TV dvd player, but apparently not yet the uj-815)

That the uj-815 does not _read_ dvd +r/+rw is a serious problem and it should be fixed with a free firmware update, if the matshita-panasonic and apple do not want to sell completely outdated dvd reading technology.

That the the current dwdb mmc-3 firmware supports dvd-rw with some media is reason to believe that the situation will improve in time. If apple stands behind its products, they should make the future firmware updates available to all current customers free of charge, just like Sony does for the dru500a, which recently got upgraded from 2x dvd+r to 4x dvd+r, just by a firmware upgrade available for download.

Restricting everything (read and write) to just dvd-r (and perhaps very few selected dvd-rw discs) at 1x speed is definitely not overwhelming.

I also hope given that 16x CDR is now possible, there may be someday also 8x CD-RW instead of 4x.

javascript:smilie('')

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2003, 08:55 PM

Originally posted by Rational_User:
I think these days, most dvd players support _reading_ both + and - versions of dvd r/rw. (three dvd roms and writers I have read both + and - and so does my sony NS900 TV dvd player, but apparently not yet the uj-815)

That the uj-815 does not _read_ dvd +r/+rw is a serious problem and it should be fixed with a free firmware update, if the matshita-panasonic and apple do not want to sell completely outdated dvd reading technology.

That the the current dwdb mmc-3 firmware supports dvd-rw with some media is reason to believe that the situation will improve in time. If apple stands behind its products, they should make the future firmware updates available to all current customers free of charge, just like Sony does for the dru500a, which recently got upgraded from 2x dvd+r to 4x dvd+r, just by a firmware upgrade available for download.

Restricting everything (read and write) to just dvd-r (and perhaps very few selected dvd-rw discs) at 1x speed is definitely not overwhelming.

I also hope given that 16x CDR is now possible, there may be someday also 8x CD-RW instead of 4x.
I don't have a problem reading DVD-RW, so that's covered. However, as you know, my TiBook can't write to it, which is an annoyance.

I'm not surprised the drive does not read +RW, though. Quite frankly, I think it's a mistake to buy any stock Mac hardware and assume +RW will be read. Apple doesn't really support + either, and thus it's not a priority. In fact, even though they've supported -RAM in the past, they don't seem to be supporting it as much these days. Apple is -R, with a little -RW and -RAM thrown in.

Indeed, I'd rather have DVD-RAM support in my TiBook and don't care much about + support, but that's just me. + would be a bonus, but definitely not a necessity to most Mac users.

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Apr 27, 2003, 05:03 AM

I've been happily accessing DVD+RW discs on my 17" PowerBook (as well as my 800DVI PowerBook) - I don't have any DVD-RW discs to try yet though.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 27, 2003, 07:22 AM

Originally posted by DVD Plaza:
I've been happily accessing DVD+RW discs on my 17" PowerBook (as well as my 800DVI PowerBook) - I don't have any DVD-RW discs to try yet though.
What brand of burner (and discs)? Is it correct to assume you have the compatibility bit set and Rational_User does not?

DVD Plaza
Senior User
Apr 27, 2003, 08:36 AM

Originally posted by Eug:
What brand of burner
Philips

and discs
Verbatim

Is it correct to assume you have the compatibility bit set
What compatability bit? The discs are flagged as DVD-ROM, rather than DVD-Video, but nothing more - same thing my PowerBook 800DVI needs to read the discs.

MarcOSX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 28, 2003, 07:21 PM

I have a big problem,
in my PB G4 17 superdrive have a firmware : DWDB,
but I had flashed it with a previous version : DDCB,
where can i get the firmware version : DWDB.?

Now with the version DDCB It can't read DVD-RW.
I would upgrade to original version DWDB that I flashed.

Please help me.

MarcOSX

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2003, 10:11 PM

Originally posted by MarcOSX:
I have a big problem,
in my PB G4 17 superdrive have a firmware : DWDB,
but I had flashed it with a previous version : DDCB,
where can i get the firmware version : DWDB.?

Now with the version DDCB It can't read DVD-RW.
I would upgrade to original version DWDB that I flashed.

Please help me.

MarcOSX
Hmmmm... Not a good idea.

However, my D0CB (which is from the DDCB flasher) does read DVD-RW. It just can't write to it.

MarcOSX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2003, 11:22 AM

However, my D0CB (which is from the DDCB flasher) does read DVD-RW. It just can't write to it.

Thanks Eug, but , I burned DVD-RW & erased it with my 17PB before flashing.
Now I try it, and it cannot erare DVD-RW .
My first original Firmware was DWDB, now I have D0CB(DDCB).
Do You know where can I get DWDB ?
Please HelpMe Thanks
MarcOSX

MarcOSX
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 29, 2003, 11:24 AM

Thanks Eug, but , I burned DVD-RW & erased it with my 17PB before flashing.
Now I try it, and it cannot erare DVD-RW .
My first original Firmware was DWDB, now I have D0CB(DDCB).
Do You know where can I get DWDB ?
Please HelpMe Thanks
MarcOSX

videian28
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2003, 10:36 PM

got mine today, it is DWDB

17" PB

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2003, 04:36 PM

The Toshiba Tecra S1 now comes with what looks like to be this drive (tray version I think).

It supports DVD-Multi (incl. DVD-RW and DVD-RAM).

Nicoleto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2003, 01:15 PM

DWDB here too. (It does record DVD-RW)

Bugsi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2003, 07:40 PM

I have a 1-month old 15" TiBook and it came with the UJ-815 with D0CB firmware. (Update the chart!)

It won't burn DVD-RW discs, even if I do a Toast quick-erase on my 17" iMac. It will, however, *read* DVD-RW discs if they're burned on the iMac (Pioneer Superdrive).

Every time I try to burn a CD-RW with Toast 5.2 though, it tells me on verification that sector 0 couldn't be read, disc failed.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jul 9, 2003, 08:51 PM

Originally posted by Bugsi:
I have a 1-month old 15" TiBook and it came with the UJ-815 with D0CB firmware. (Update the chart!)

It won't burn DVD-RW discs, even if I do a Toast quick-erase on my 17" iMac. It will, however, *read* DVD-RW discs if they're burned on the iMac (Pioneer Superdrive).

Every time I try to burn a CD-RW with Toast 5.2 though, it tells me on verification that sector 0 couldn't be read, disc failed.
Yes, just to reiterate:

D0C4 and D0CB - read DVD-RW but cannot write to it.

DWDB - reads and writes DVD-RW

It seems that now both the 12" and 15" PowerBooks are D0CB. The 17" is DWDB.

Dunno what your CD-RW problem is. I have no probs with CD-RW. Are you using good quality media?

I cannot update the chart. Only a mod can. This thread is a bit too old anyway... I think a new 15" Al may be coming within a month or so.

P.S. Welcome to MacNN.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Jul 17, 2003, 09:14 PM

To use Dantz's Retrospect 5, you need D0CB or later. See here:

PowerBook G4 SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
The MKE (MATSHITA) UJ-815 SuperDrive requires firmware revision D0CB or later and Retrospect 5.0 with Retrospect Driver Update 3.6.106 or later.

The Apple UF-815 firmware updater is for customers with earlier versions of the PowerBook G4 with pre-D0CB firmware. It updates the UJ-815 firmware to D0CB. The Apple UJ-815 firmware update requires Mac OS X to update.

Although the Apple UJ-815 firmware updater is available for download from the Dantz Web site, it is provided "as is" by Dantz Development. Please contact Apple in the unlikely event that you encounter problems with the UJ-815 firmware updater or with non Retrospect CD or DVD authoring software after applying the firmware update.

This update is available from:

ftp://ftp.dantz.com/pub/updates/fw_UJ-815.sit

Directions for installing the UJ-815 firmware update:
1. Boot the computer into Mac OS X. This updater does not support Mac OS 9.
2. Uncompress the download archive using Stuffit Expander.
3. Quit all running applications and close all open windows.
4. Eject any media that is in the drive.
5. Launch "Update UJ-815 to D0CB" to start the firmware update process.
6. Enter your user name and password then click OK.
7. Read the attention notice and then click Continue if your drive is ready to be updated.
8. Click Update. The update process can take up to a few minutes to complete. Please be patient.
9. Click Restart when the update is complete.

AirforceRed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2003, 06:30 AM

<snip>
Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
[B]To use Dantz's Retrospect 5, you need D0CB or later. See here:

[i]PowerBook G4 SuperDrive (DVD-R/CD-RW)
The MKE (MATSHITA) UJ-815 SuperDrive requires firmware revision D0CB or later and Retrospect 5.0 with Retrospect Driver Update 3.6.106 or later.

The Apple UF-815 firmware updater is for customers with earlier versions of the PowerBook G4 with pre-D0CB firmware. It updates the UJ-815 firmware to D0CB. The Apple UJ-815 firmware update requires Mac OS X to update.
</snip>

Guys, can anyone please help me?!

I have just (physically) installed a uj815 in my Ti PowerBook (which came with a Combo drive originally). But the Apple System Profiler says that Disc Burning is not supported. It recognises the drive for what it is, and gives the Revision as D100 - which I have not seen anyone refer to here or on any other online forums. (Someone has suggested to me that it is a PC firmware revision.)

I have tried to update the Firmware of the drive with DOCB (as decribed above), but it just says that "this computer does not need this upgrade" and won't do anything. The same thing happened when I tried the DDCB Firmware someone posted to another forum (but it is my understanding that DOCB and DDCB are one and the same, so this isn't surprising).

Has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,

A.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2003, 08:48 AM

So is that an OEM Matsushita drive with the Matsushita firmware? I wonder if DVD-RAM would work with that.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2003, 03:57 PM

This post suggests the Dantz D0CB firmware can burn 2X DVD-R and 16X CD-R. I don't believe it, but I haven't tried it yet.

AirforceRed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2003, 04:13 PM

So is that an OEM Matsushita drive with the Matsushita firmware? I wonder if DVD-RAM would work with that.

What does OEM stand for?

As for your question about DVD-RAM... I don't have any RAM disks to try, but Toast sees the drive as, and I quoth:

"Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-815A (MMC3)"

which would infer to me that it could write DVD-RAM....

Am I the only one with this scenario then?!?!?

Has no-one else done the hardware upgrade themselves?

A.

Eug  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2003, 04:30 PM

Originally posted by AirforceRed:
What does OEM stand for?

As for your question about DVD-RAM... I don't have any RAM disks to try, but Toast sees the drive as, and I quoth:

"Matshita DVD-RAM UJ-815A (MMC3)"

which would infer to me that it could write DVD-RAM....

Am I the only one with this scenario then?!?!?

Has no-one else done the hardware upgrade themselves?

A.
Hmmm... That's interesting. I thought our units might be the UJ-815-B, but I can't remember off hand. I don't have my TiBook with me to check.

I assume you bought the drive from a 3rd party? From where? Any pix of the transplant?

Where do you live? If you were in Toronto I could lend you a DVD-RAM disc to try.

Does Toast let you burn to it? I have a very recent DVD burner in a Firewire enclosure, and my TiBook won't let me burn from certain OS X (even for CD-R), but burns work fine in Toast. It's not the enclosure, because OS X works fine with that enclosure with other drives (even from the same company).

EDIT:

Doh! I guess we don't know... The Apple D0CB updater thread's Apple System Profiler's pic does not list an A or a B.

( Last edited by Eug; Jul 28, 2003 at 04:39 PM. )

AirforceRed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2003, 05:13 PM

Yeah, I bought the drive from a third party off eBay - [link] - and it did say it was a uj815-B. I'm pretty sure it said this on the unit, but I don't really feel like opening up by precious baby to see inside again!!

Sorry, no pix of the transplant - when I was doing it I was thinking I should photograph it - but I was shaking so much the pictures probably wouldn't have come out!

Was a fairly smooth operation though - unscrew back, lift off, slightly lever the existing drive out (left side first! right side slots in), gently lever off the connector, then the worst part - pull of connecting wire from drive - this is pretty firmly held down with glue. Remove bezel from new drive and replace with bezel from old drive. Remove side attachments from old drive and fix to new, re-attach connector and stick down wire, slot back in, watching PBook's slot for alignment, put case back on and voila! Bob's your Uncle.

PowerBook started up straight away no problemo. Only problem is the fact that the OS doesn't recognise it as a SuperDrive... (See the other thread). Reads disks no problem too. Writes okay using Toast (if you haven't read the other posts).

I'm in Edinburgh, Scotland (no, not England), Britain. Just had a check - only got one DVD-RAM disk and that is in a case which doesn't remove.

Any help on making OS X see it as a SuperDrive would be appreciated... I have considered doing a OS reinstall, but don't really want to... It might see it on instalation then? What do you think?

A.

AirforceRed
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 30, 2003, 04:09 PM

MCE are now doing the Ti SuperDrive upgrade with 2x DVD-R and DVD-RAM:

http://store.powerbook1.com/mceindvsupup.html

Wish they'd give me the fecking Firmware...

A>

karo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2003, 01:07 PM

Hi,

I bought a 815-A drive firmware D100 from dfwdepot.com. They charge $ 300 and you can keep your drive which sells for about $ 200 on Ebay. The gangsters at MCE charge $ 350, and steal your drive and force you to send it in. Anyway:

DVD-RW can be read, DVD-RAM read, write works in the Finder, 16xCD and 2xDVD-R burning works only in Toast which to me is not a big deal since the Finder takes twice as long because it copies the data first. I am happy. Anyway, if anyone knows how to get it to work in the Finder and how to get the drive region free please post it.
Karo

irishpolish
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2003, 10:04 AM

I got a Superdrive from Macresq (nice people!) with firmware DWDB / MMC-3.

Dantz Retrospect Express 5 sees the DVD-R drive but refuses to use it. I hate to lose the 16x CD-R writing but that appears necessary for compatibility with Dantz.

Also, I could not read a DVD-RW.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2003, 05:41 PM

DVD-RW can be read, DVD-RAM read, write works in the Finder, 16xCD and 2xDVD-R burning works only in Toast which to me is not a big deal since the Finder takes twice as long because it copies the data first. I am happy.
Cool! Too bad Apple didn't leave this DVD-RAM functionality intact, even if they didn't officially support it.

I could not read a DVD-RW.
Strange. Reading has not been a problem if properly recorded on good media.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Aug 12, 2003, 10:12 PM

Originally posted by karo:
Hi,

I bought a 815-A drive firmware D100 from dfwdepot.com. They charge $ 300 and you can keep your drive which sells for about $ 200 on Ebay. The gangsters at MCE charge $ 350, and steal your drive and force you to send it in. Anyway:

DVD-RW can be read, DVD-RAM read, write works in the Finder, 16xCD and 2xDVD-R burning works only in Toast which to me is not a big deal since the Finder takes twice as long because it copies the data first. I am happy. Anyway, if anyone knows how to get it to work in the Finder and how to get the drive region free please post it.
Karo
Try updating it D101. It apparently works. See here.

chromos
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2003, 01:46 AM

FWIW, I had to have my original D0C4 SuperDrive in my 1 GHz TiBook replaced earlier this month. The Apple Store Burlingame replaced it with a D0CB SuperDrive. Darn!! I would've liked to be able to burn DVD-RWs...

Rational_User
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2003, 05:35 AM

The unsupported firmware update D101 for the UJ-815 drive is great. In addition to 2xDVD-R and DVD-RW write support, it now can write CD-RW at 8x (opposed to 4x with DWDB). Also, for the first time I was able to read DVD+RW disks recorded long ago on an external DRU500. These disks were not readable with firmware DWDB. The DVD+R disks still do not work with firmware D101. Perhaps with a future update.

Great Job. (And shame on Apple)

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Aug 17, 2003, 12:38 AM

Yep, I'm on D101 too now. Works great!

I can always downgrade to D0CB again if I need to send the TiBook in or something.

By the way, I'm not surprised +R doesn't work. It might in the future, but I wouldn't count on it. Panasonic doesn't like the + guys very much - direct competitor.

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 17, 2003, 12:48 AM

Originally posted by JohnM15141:
I just burned a 597 MB CD of Data on my 17" PB using Roxio Toast 5.2 at 16X and it took 4:15 to make. My drive is a Matshita DVD-R UJ-815 using DWDB
Is that the standard firmwear that came with the 17" or did you update/modify it. So the dwdb is the 16x and 2x dvdr 1x dvdrw

Forum Links
Forum Rules