Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Holy Christ... that's a Power(full) PC (laptop)

Holy Christ... that's a Power(full) PC (laptop)
dettociao
Senior User
Apr 30, 2003, 08:23 PM

Forgive the puns.

http://www.expressnotebook.com/prodd...linenumber=134

Does anyone else think that would beat the hell out a 17" speed-wise? No fair taking OS X into consideration.
-.-
12" SuperDrive

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2003, 08:27 PM

Originally posted by dettociao:
Does anyone else think that would beat the hell out a 17" speed-wise?
Absolutely. Most PC's can kill a Mac in raw speed. Of course, that's not what owning a Mac is about, so to me, it doesn't really matter. There's tons of things about Macs that are better, starting w/ the design of that PC laptop *puke*. But year, it's fast...clunky, ugly, terrible battery life, etc...but it's fast.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

javabeans
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2003, 08:36 PM

Forgive the puns.

Does anyone else think that would beat the hell out a 17" speed-wise? No fair taking OS X into consideration.
Its 12.0lbs
PB.17.1Ghz - iPod.10G

magness
Apr 30, 2003, 08:38 PM

It looks like it has a P4 Desktop processor. You'd be lucky to get 60 minutes out of that thing at full-bore. If you're thinking of getting a PC, the ones with a Pentium Mobile Processor are very efficient and good. A Pentium Mobile 1.6 almost beat a Pioneer P4 3.0GHZ laptop

I wouldn't bother with it being a Centrino spec too at the moment since the "802.11g" standard is about to be ratified.

dettociao  (op)
Senior User
Apr 30, 2003, 08:48 PM

Originally posted by javabeans:
Its 12.0lbs
12lbs? jeez I didn't even see that. I'm not looking to purchase it... I just stumbled across it and thought it looked massively powerful.
-.-
12" SuperDrive

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 30, 2003, 09:31 PM

Yeah, that lens flare effect on the picture makes it look especially powerful...

But seriously, I remember back when Assassyn brought up a very similar question, comparing the 17" powerbook to one the Alienware laptops, and now he is saying the same thing we are. There's more to a laptop than raw power -- it's a delicate balance of enough power to do what you want, while still being light enough to carry around and having enough battery life to actually work on the go.

Interesting that it has a memory stick slot -- I guess it's not limited to Sony laptops.

dettociao  (op)
Senior User
Apr 30, 2003, 09:35 PM

Originally posted by Icruise:
But seriously, I remember back when Assassyn brought up a very similar question, comparing the 17" powerbook to one the Alienware laptops, and now he is saying the same thing we are. There's more to a laptop than raw power -- it's a delicate balance of enough power to do what you want, while still being light enough to carry around and having enough battery life to actually work on the go.
Nod. I'm in complete agreement over this (wish I wasn't getting rid of my 12" )
-.-
12" SuperDrive

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 30, 2003, 09:49 PM

Nod. I'm in complete agreement over this (wish I wasn't getting rid of my 12" )
So don't...

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2003, 10:21 PM

So don't...
LoL, I'm sure in this case "need" overrides "want".
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

spaced
Forum Regular
Apr 30, 2003, 10:50 PM

Holy crap...

12lbs and ugly as sin!

No thanks!

mrtew
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2003, 10:52 PM

It may be heavy, but it sure is thick! It's like getting two and a half Apple computers for the price of one. Gawd that's thick!

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 30, 2003, 11:00 PM

But look at the bright side -- you can use it to press flowers, or to hit intruders with!

Ryan1524
Senior User
Apr 30, 2003, 11:05 PM

as much as i agree with most of you guys, about raw speed not being the point, i think most people here secretly wished Apple computers can have that kind of power in their sweet little packagings and OS...
i know i do...(don't kill me)

but i'd never buy that monstrosity, it's ugly, it's huge, it's heavy.
Ryan

dettociao  (op)
Senior User
Apr 30, 2003, 11:18 PM

Originally posted by AssassyN:
LoL, I'm sure in this case "need" overrides "want".
yep. stupid moving and bills and real world. i'll get another 2 grand someday.
-.-
12" SuperDrive

djjava
Senior User
Apr 30, 2003, 11:20 PM

Originally posted by javabeans:
Its 12.0lbs
holy crap.. and people complain about the PB17's size.... 12 poulds is far from being acceptably portable.
http://www.pardonmyenglish.com "Spreading the Conservative Word...In English Only."
RevA PB17 with Panther, Lacie d2 160gb, 4G iPod, Vectorworks 10.5

Ryan1524
Senior User
Apr 30, 2003, 11:28 PM

i wonder how long the battery can last on that thing..lol..
i bet it won't be too long, and they didn't mention the weight with the AC adapter..
Ryan

dettociao  (op)
Senior User
Apr 30, 2003, 11:29 PM

Originally posted by Ryan1524:
i wonder how long the battery can last on that thing..lol..
i bet it won't be too long, and they didn't mention the weight with the AC adapter..
I bet it's like eighteen pounds or something. Much heavier than my dog.
-.-
12" SuperDrive

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 30, 2003, 11:46 PM

as much as i agree with most of you guys, about raw speed not being the point, i think most people here secretly wished Apple computers can have that kind of power in their sweet little packagings and OS...
i know i do...(don't kill me)
Of course we do, and it's no secret, either! I still remember back when the early powerbook G3s were "the fastest laptops on the planet." But I think the point is that we wouldn't trade all the great things about the Mac (the OS, the well designed hardware, etc) for the speed. If that were true, we'd just get windows machines...

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
May 1, 2003, 02:14 AM

Who are the designer of this monster?
I rather buy a 12" PowerBook w/SuperDrive.

Ryan1524
Senior User
May 1, 2003, 02:46 AM

Of course we do, and it's no secret, either! I still remember back when the early powerbook G3s were "the fastest laptops on the planet." But I think the point is that we wouldn't trade all the great things about the Mac (the OS, the well designed hardware, etc) for the speed. If that were true, we'd just get windows machines...
i think that's everybody's dream, PC hardware that runs OSX
Ryan

chipchen
Mac Elite
May 1, 2003, 02:56 AM

that ain't a laptop.. it's a deskop with a built-in LCD screen that folds down on the keyboard. that's it... and that's all.

MacBliss
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Location: 3rd moon of Alderan, Synaan system, free of any Imperial influence. Long live the rebellion!
May 1, 2003, 03:54 AM

But look at the bright side -- you can use it to press flowers, or to hit intruders with!
What about the fact that it gives it a built-in theft deterrent... anyone swipping this off your desk would probably ran out of breath and collapse on the floor before reaching the door...

JM
JM - "Got Mac?"

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 1, 2003, 04:26 AM

i think that's everybody's dream, PC hardware that runs OSX
Maybe, but I think most Mac users want hardware that looks as good as the Apple hardware we have now, but that runs as fast as PC hardware (and is as cheap).

AssassyN
Professional Poster
May 1, 2003, 07:33 AM

Maybe, but I think most Mac users want hardware that looks as good as the Apple hardware we have now, but that runs as fast as PC hardware (and is as cheap).
Abbbbsolutely. We have a winner.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
May 1, 2003, 08:07 AM

that is not a laptop!

-r.

PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
May 1, 2003, 09:17 AM

Forgive the puns.

As some people around here know, I'm a fan of Intel's new Centrino technology, and I think a fair number of very powerful laptops will come to the market as a result.

This machine, however, is NOT one of them.

This has a desktop processor, weighs a ton, and probably gets 90 mins of battery life.

I would take a PowerBook over this thing any day of the week, no questions asked.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 1, 2003, 10:23 AM

Yep, Centrino is good, and P4M is passable, but this 12 lb monster is neither.

In other words, this thing is crap, and not even a PC user with half a clue would get anywhere near it.

I'd take a 5 lb Centrino machine running at half the clock speed over that any day. Mind you I'd take a TiBoook over the Centrino machine.

euphras
Mac Elite
May 1, 2003, 11:22 AM

Why two optical drives on a "notebook"??!?

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

makkystyle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2003, 11:40 AM

Can you name the truck with four-wheel drive,
smells like a steak, and seats thirty-five?
Canyonero! Canyonero!
Well, it goes real slow with the hammer down.
It's the country-fried truck endorsed by a clown.
Canyonero! Canyonero!
Twelve yards long, two lanes wide,
sixty-five tons of American pride!
Canyonero! Canyonero!
Top of the line in utility sports,
unexplained fires are a matter for the courts!
Canyonero! Canyonero!
She blinds everybody with her super high-beams.
She's a squirrel-squashin', deer-smackin' drivin' machine.
Whoa, Canyonero! Whoa!
It's like when you were five years old and you took all the jars of play-doh and mushed all the different colors together just because you could. Then you realize you're never getting them back apart again and all your stuck with is a big brown mess you never play with again. That's my impression of this laptop.

Nicoleto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2003, 01:21 PM

I was a PC user for almost 15 years and I switched completely to mac almost 1.5 years ago. I've had many PCs and since I switched I've had one iBook, three PowerBooks and two iMac, and Believe me there is no better computer on earth than the 17" Powerbook. I just love it.

jtbowden
Forum Regular
May 1, 2003, 01:22 PM

Can you imagine how many drivers that thing would need? I wouldn't want to have to reinstall the system. "Windows has found 86 new devices..."

No Superdrive. OPTIONAL 802.11b (not g)

Operating System is optional. I imagine this is so you can trick it out with Linux. Good luck with that.

Seems cool with all of the hardware, but ignoring battery and heat considerations, I can't see anyone having all of that stuff working seemlessly. Heck, alot of my friends have Dell Laptops and they dhave a hard time getting stuff to work sometimes.

Riemann Zeta
May 1, 2003, 02:23 PM

Machines like this are not designed to be laptops. They are, instead, "portable" desktops with LCD monitors. Notice that this computer uses a desktop Pentium 4 CPU (not the lower-power centrino or P4-M) and desktop DDR RAM. The machine also uses a full height desktop hard drive and a desktop video chip (R9000 Pro 128MB). While the machine technically comes with a battery, the battery life cannot be more than about 30 min. Also, the machine is massive, probably 9 kg or more. However, yes, they are fast--a desktop P4 3.06 GHz will perform quickly.
God is just a statistic...

Ryan1524
Senior User
May 1, 2003, 02:51 PM

the company is from Taiwan i think. and they produce these OEM laptops that are sold to Sager, and other smaller names.
if you flip through a PC world you'll find 3-4 different companies displaying this exact same unit with different logo slapped on it.

a brown mess of play-doh...perfect analogy.
but this definitely beats carrying your tower around (with the whole band of kb, mouse, etc of course) if you're a pc user that is..
Ryan

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 1, 2003, 06:43 PM

Originally posted by Riemann Zeta:
Machines like this are not designed to be laptops. They are, instead, "portable" desktops with LCD monitors. Notice that this computer uses a desktop Pentium 4 CPU (not the lower-power centrino or P4-M) and desktop DDR RAM. The machine also uses a full height desktop hard drive and a desktop video chip (R9000 Pro 128MB).
Are we looking at the same computer? The computer in the link uses the Mobility Radeon, a notebook hard drive and what appears to be notebook RAM as well.

BkueKanoodle
Senior User
May 1, 2003, 07:32 PM

Still hardware wise, this thing is a kick ass portable machine. Is it light? No. will it win a design comptetion? No

Will it kick some serious ass? yes

12lbs is heavy, but not when the only place you carry it is back and forth between the office.

For $3400 lets see what you get:

3.06 ghz P4 processor
512 mb ram
16.1 inch 1600 x 1200 screen
Radeon 9000 w/ 128 MB of RAM
2 (count them 2) 80 gb hard drives
Floppy drive (You may not need a floppy, but there are a lot of people who do. This is a huge thing in my book)
DVD-R/CD-RW Drive
Built in Wireless
Built in Ethernet
Windows XP Pro
Detachable MP3 player with 256 mb RAM
Built in TV Tuner. (nice)

This is not a laptop for a Mac User, it doesn't pretend to be.

This is a machine for some one who wants to be able to take their work with them, needs Windows and wants all the options. You may not like it, but it serves a role.

I personally use a Apple Laptop and a Windows Laptop on a daily basis. My Windows machine doesn't travel home with me every night like my apple does, but its nice to be able to when I need it. For me, this would be a killer machine. Now where did I put those blank PO's
15" Macbook Pro 1.83 2 GB RAM
Blackbook 13.3 Powerhouse 2 GB RAM
MacMini Dual Core 2 GB RAM (Sadly running Windows Most of the time)
Numerouse Workstations running windows and Linux. Sorry don't have the specs, I don't pay much attention to them anymore. :)

dettociao  (op)
Senior User
May 4, 2003, 05:02 PM

Originally posted by jtbowden:
Can you imagine how many drivers that thing would need? I wouldn't want to have to reinstall the system. "Windows has found 86 new devices..."

No Superdrive.
Optional SuperDrive.
-.-
12" SuperDrive

yoyoman
Grizzled Veteran
May 4, 2003, 10:01 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dettociao:
Forgive the puns.

[/QUOTE

that laptop is so shitty. No firewire 800 gig eathernet wireless bluetooth and 802.11g its not great. Looks nasty. What more can u ask for. Speed wise you think its fast. The blue screen of death is fast. haha.

dettociao  (op)
Senior User
May 4, 2003, 10:04 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by yoyoman:
Forgive the puns.

[/QUOTE

that laptop is so shitty. No firewire 800 gig eathernet wireless bluetooth and 802.11g its not great. Looks nasty. What more can u ask for. Speed wise you think its fast. The blue screen of death is fast. haha.
Ask yourself. Do you use Firewire 800. Do you use Giga ethernet? I'm just posing the question.
-.-
12" SuperDrive

BkueKanoodle
Senior User
May 4, 2003, 10:13 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by yoyoman:
Forgive the puns.

[/QUOTE

FW 800 - Not many peripherals for it, and its speed is only helpful to a handful of the population

Gigabit Ehternet- Not many actually using it

Bluetooth- What? so you can use a wireless mouse . Yawn. Bluetooth was cool 3 years ago, but its long term survivability is severely in question. Bluetooth has always been hype

802.11g- Seeing as the standard hasn't even been ratified yet, it would be wise till the IEEE does that before selling anything. Of course who ever accused Apple of making good marketing choices.
Numerouse Workstations running windows and Linux. Sorry don't have the specs, I don't pay much attention to them anymore. :)

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
May 4, 2003, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by BkueKanoodle:
FW 800 - Not many peripherals for it, and its speed is only helpful to a handful of the population

Gigabit Ehternet- Not many actually using it

Bluetooth- What? so you can use a wireless mouse . Yawn. Bluetooth was cool 3 years ago, but its long term survivability is severely in question. Bluetooth has always been hype

802.11g- Seeing as the standard hasn't even been ratified yet, it would be wise till the IEEE does that before selling anything. Of course who ever accused Apple of making good marketing choices.
You know, I remember when USB 1.0 debuted on the Thinkpads. There weren't many peripherals for it at that time, and the serial and rs232 people all said there was no real use for it's speed over serial.

I also recall when Thin net and token ring were the best networking standards we had, and 16mbit was turbo fast.

Bluetooth is a PAN standard. Personal area network. This is really picking up where Sun dropped the ball on Jini. The notion that small devices can talk to each other. It wasn't meant for mice, it was meant for pdas, cell phones, and other small communications devices, in a personal range.

802.11g - yes, it isn't ratified. Don't lay blame solely at Apple's feet- lay it at Broadcom, Atheros, for they jumped the gun on the chipsets and sold it to the proxims, apples, linksyses, and others of the world. Read my article here on the topic.

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerwork...y/wi-ieee.html
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

BkueKanoodle
Senior User
May 5, 2003, 02:02 AM

Originally posted by vmarks:
You know, I remember when USB 1.0 debuted on the Thinkpads. There weren't many peripherals for it at that time, and the serial and rs232 people all said there was no real use for it's speed over serial.

I also recall when Thin net and token ring were the best networking standards we had, and 16mbit was turbo fast.

Bluetooth is a PAN standard. Personal area network. This is really picking up where Sun dropped the ball on Jini. The notion that small devices can talk to each other. It wasn't meant for mice, it was meant for pdas, cell phones, and other small communications devices, in a personal range.

802.11g - yes, it isn't ratified. Don't lay blame solely at Apple's feet- lay it at Broadcom, Atheros, for they jumped the gun on the chipsets and sold it to the proxims, apples, linksyses, and others of the world. Read my article here on the topic.

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerwork...y/wi-ieee.html
I agree about the 802.11g, and yes eventually 1000tx will take off, its of little use now nor will it make big inroads in the next 3 years (the average life of these current laptops) Many companies just finished getting up to 100 to the desktop.

But Blue tooth has been in the works for longer then 5 years, and it still going no where. I think you're going to see a lot of the companies that were going to use bluetooth as the PAN panacea jump of the 802.11xxx bandwagon. Already many of the wireless companies are looking at it as an alternative to 3g. With the infrastructure for 802 already taking a firm hold, many blue tooth device makers are reconsidering their options.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2003, 02:05 PM

12lbs is heavy, but not when the only place you carry it is back and forth between the office.
Yes it is. One of the reasons I sold my 8 lb laptop was because it was too heavy, despite the fact that 99% of the time the only place I took it was to the office.

It is especially heavy if you need to also carry a backup drive, or a briefcase with papers in it, etc.

Most of my colleagues with 8 lb laptops have regretted buying them.

Yes, a 12 lb laptop serves a role, but that role is for approx 0.1% of the population, esp. considering that it has just about zero battery life.

twil13
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2003, 03:16 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
Yes it is. One of the reasons I sold my 8 lb laptop was because it was too heavy, despite the fact that 99% of the time the only place I took it was to the office.

It is especially heavy if you need to also carry a backup drive, or a briefcase with papers in it, etc.

Most of my colleagues with 8 lb laptops have regretted buying them.

Yes, a 12 lb laptop serves a role, but that role is for approx 0.1% of the population, esp. considering that it has just about zero battery life.

Get in the weight room.

BkueKanoodle
Senior User
May 5, 2003, 03:37 PM

Please, 8 pounds just carrying to the office and and back is too much? Maybe they should leave their shoes at home too, then they could shave another 3 pounds.

Of course, maybe I'm just jaded as I regularly carry 2 laptops home and back, plus, drives, paper, etc. I don't mind carrying them, its the packing and unpacking all that crap that drives me up the wall.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2003, 04:02 PM

Originally posted by twil13:
Get in the weight room.
Heh, been there done that.

Still it's heavy.

It's no surprise my big burly colleagues still like the 5.5 lb TiBook.

Forum Links
Forum Rules