Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > drag&drop utility/script that would attach and mail file

drag&drop utility/script that would attach and mail file
gr33n
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2003, 09:51 AM

does anybody know of a utility or a script, or mail plugin which would create a shortcut on desktop for some email address - so that you can drag&drop a file onto it, and it will automatically create a new mail, attach a file and send it ?

won't do it for all address book, but there are a couple of people with whom we are exchanging attachments daily ...

gr33n

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 17, 2003, 10:02 AM

You can just select the file in Finder, then go to the menu "Finder" ---> Services ---> Mail ---> Send File

This will create a new mail with the document as an attachment.

Not quite drag & drop, but very close.

AFAIK, this only works for single documents, though.

-s*

gr33n  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2003, 10:41 AM

yes, using it daily ... it still opens mail.app, creates new mail and i have to type in the address ...

my idea was - one shortcut on desktop for each of addresses (i might need some 5 max) and when you drag&drop, all creating/attaching/sending happens in the background ...

gr33n

JKT
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2003, 11:37 AM

Originally posted by gr33n:
yes, using it daily ... it still opens mail.app, creates new mail and i have to type in the address ...

my idea was - one shortcut on desktop for each of addresses (i might need some 5 max) and when you drag&drop, all creating/attaching/sending happens in the background ...

gr33n
It might be a nice feature to have in theory, but in reality it would be a huge security hole in the OS. Just think about what happens in Windows with Outlook and the various viruses that are able to steal your address book and mail everyone to propagate itself.

As for drag and drop - simply drag and drop your file(s) to the Mail icon and it will create a new message with that file/those files attached. You still have to add the address and press send, but it is hardly time consuming.

cpac
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2003, 12:40 PM

I'm sure there's a way to do this with applescript, I'm just not good enough with it to tell you how.

FWIW, you can create a simple mail-to link in an html document, and drag that link to the desktop or dock in order to create an easily addressed email.

Just create a new document in TextEdit, make it plain text, and type:

Code:
<a href="mailto:[email protected]">Email Somebody</a>
and save the file with a .html extension.

Open the file in OmniWeb (or other browser of your choice) and click and drag the link that appears to the desktop or dock.

Whenever you click on the file that was created when you draged the link, a new email will be created already addressed to [email protected].
cpac

Forum Links
Forum Rules