Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > why Word and Excel are 2 different apps?

why Word and Excel are 2 different apps?
gr33n
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2003, 10:21 AM

ok, i know why - but don't you think that something like that iWrite should try to combine both into one application?

i mean, i use word/excel a lot, and sometimes when starting a new document it is hard to choose if it better would be 'served' in excel or in word ... sometimes i wish that word could count figures in columns, other times i wish better word processing/formatting from excel ...

and i don't mind if this app would produce pdf files instead of doc or xls ...

seems like we are stuck in this one app for word processing and one app for spreadsheet paradigm that MS has created ... or maybe i have missed that good app out there that already does it ...

gr33n

mh0ffmann
Forum Regular
Dec 17, 2003, 11:11 AM

...wait for iWrite/AppleWorks!
MacBookPro 15" / 2.16 GHz / 100 GB 7200 RPM / 1 Gb
White MacBook 13.3" / 1.8 GHz / 60GB / 1 Gb
PB 5300cs (!!!) 100 MHz / 750 Mb / 16 Mb

gr33n  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2003, 11:13 AM

Originally posted by mh0ffmann:
...wait for iWrite/AppleWorks!
u happen 2 know, or happen to hope ?

gr33n

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 17, 2003, 11:25 AM

sometimes when starting a new document it is hard to choose if it better would be 'served' in excel or in word

One is for writing. The other is for mathematical modeling.

Chris

cpac
Professional Poster
Dec 17, 2003, 12:21 PM

yes I would think those times when choice between the two is difficult are limited to when you're making tables or lists.

Otherwise it's seems pretty easy - if you're writing a document, use word. If you're making a spreadsheet, use excel.

You can already embed objects from one into the other...
cpac

engaged
Location: Close to the sea and a place with a big, big castle...
Dec 17, 2003, 01:26 PM

They are, quite rightly IMHO, different applications. If you were really needing a spreadsheet in Word then you'd just import an Excel spreadsheet - one that would have been much easier to create in Excel!

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2003, 01:44 PM

So that the customize feature can be totally different in both apps so that they are not consistent.

So that they can make sure you are not able to re-map the keyboard shortcuts in Excel to make the standard Mac OS X shortcuts like ctrl-A, ctrl-E, command-right arrow, command-left arrow, etc. not work properly.

In short, to be irritating.

(yes, they should be separate applications. But they should share a little more code instead of reinventing the wheel between the apps like this!)

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules