Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Another "I am so happy with my 12'' PB" thread

Another "I am so happy with my 12'' PB" thread
big fox
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2003, 11:57 AM

I am new to MacNN and I value the forum and postings here a lot.
After using an iMac for almost 4 Years now I decided it would be time to get a new Computer.

After looking at the currently available Windowsnotebooks I quickly decided that they were not for me. It is too much money for just a computer (plastic, crummy keyboards and so on). So I ordered a refurbished powerbook 12''.

I was afraid that it would not be sufficent since I am doing php and webdevelopment. How wrong was I.

I�ve been using this machine for 2 Days now and I am really amazed. I keep on finding cool features like advanced Powermanagement, how the trackpad behaves in different situations (with or without mouse, etc). Fabulous screen and so on.

THIS THING JUST DOES WHAT I EXPECT FROM IT AND EVEN MORE!

I mean, the keyboard is absolutely terrific. Size and screenresolution are very, very good. And it looks great.

It will be a tough companion.

Thank you again for every post that reflected the pros and also the cons of getting one (instead of waiting). I based my decision on your posts and it was a good decision I will not regret. If I do regret it, I will know who to blame.

... just kidding.

Thanks folks.
Volker (Lake Constance, Germany)

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2003, 01:57 PM

Gl�ckwunsch!

Sch�n weitersagen.

Tun wir schlie�lich auch, wie du wei�t.

-s*

Thilo Ettelt
Senior User
Aug 22, 2003, 02:21 PM

Maybe you should rename this thread to "Germans and their 12" Powerbooks"

Anyway I just bought one too (instead of a Dual 2 GHz G5 I have to admit). But it truly rocks and I don't regret anything. I'm using it as a second machine aside my iMac right now. It features a Superdrive which is very cool!

- Thilo

dreamBweaver
Forum Regular
Aug 22, 2003, 04:14 PM

I'm another one like this poster. This board was such a great help in making my purchase.
Looking forward.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2003, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by Thilo Ettelt:
It features a Superdrive which is very cool!
Yeah - I thought long and hard about whether to get the Superdrive option, but I figured it wasn't that much extra, and I was pretty sure I'd regret it a couple of years down the line.

As it is, I already wouldn't want to miss it!

Almost six months later, and no regrets whatsoever. Still makes me happy everytime I open it up. And often, I don't even need to do that to be pleased with my purchase.

(it's just so pretty. and small.)

-s*

variable06
Aug 23, 2003, 12:17 AM

Congrats on the purchase! It's a truly great machine and you'll enjoy it. I'm taking mine on a plane for the first time tomorrow...let's see if it will attract any looks when i take it out

Jason

solitere
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2003, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by big fox:
I am new to MacNN and I value the forum and postings here a lot.
After using an iMac for almost 4 Years now I decided it would be time to get a new Computer.

After looking at the currently available Windowsnotebooks I quickly decided that they were not for me. It is too much money for just a computer (plastic, crummy keyboards and so on). So I ordered a refurbished powerbook 12''.

I was afraid that it would not be sufficent since I am doing php and webdevelopment. How wrong was I.

I�ve been using this machine for 2 Days now and I am really amazed. I keep on finding cool features like advanced Powermanagement, how the trackpad behaves in different situations (with or without mouse, etc). Fabulous screen and so on.

THIS THING JUST DOES WHAT I EXPECT FROM IT AND EVEN MORE!

I mean, the keyboard is absolutely terrific. Size and screenresolution are very, very good. And it looks great.

It will be a tough companion.

Thanks folks.
Volker (Lake Constance, Germany)

You will be even more thrilled with the 12" PB when you update to 10.3 panther later this year... Expose functionality is especially a dream for 12" Powerbook/iBook owners. And the panthers speed is like adding a "1.2 Ghz G4 CPU upgrade to your PB"

big fox  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2003, 01:21 AM

Really? Do you think that the effect is that noticable?

Since I use a connected 21'' Monitor most of the time I don�t have problems with screen size. Although I thought of updating to 10.3 (depending on the costs, that is).

Regards
Volker

Sandbaggins
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 25, 2003, 02:32 AM

The highest scoring PB 12" machine on the Xbench results page is running 10.3
15" 1.25/512/80/5400/SD/AE Aluminum Powerbook

big fox  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 25, 2003, 03:17 AM

Where can I find this test? Is there a direct comparison between pb with 10.2 and 10.3?

I am so curious.

Volker

Forum Links
Forum Rules