Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Laptop Stands?

Laptop Stands?
MilkmanDan
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2004, 02:45 PM

I've just ordered a 12in Powerbook, and I plan on using it with a keyboard and mouse and probably a monitor when at my desk. I would really like to get a stand for it, but I would love to know what other people have gotten and what is the best price to look/ feature ratio.

Many people enjoy the iCurve from Griffin, but are there any other ideas as to a good laptop stand?

Roy Boy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 18, 2004, 06:40 PM

I looked at the many diferant styles out there and liked the iCurve the best, i use a older apple studio crt monitor the tube went bad so i got one off ebay that had a bad logic board for $25 bucks and fixed my old monitor. alll that to say The legs from the left over studio display make a great powerbook stand. they all do about the same thing so go with the one that suits both your budget and taste

Tomster
Senior User
Apr 18, 2004, 07:53 PM

Podium cool pad! Simple but effective.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

Freeflyer
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 18, 2004, 08:57 PM

If you have some basic tools you can make your own. I made a wooden version of the icurve from stuff I had in the garage. Neat, does the job, cost nothing.

J.
By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out - Richard Dawkins

Link
Professional Poster
Apr 18, 2004, 09:29 PM

A pile of books.

Seriously what's the big deal about those stands anyway? They look silly and are just an invitation for your laptop to fall off of
Aloha

phantomo
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 18, 2004, 09:57 PM

I've bought something similar to this: http://www.coolermaster.com/index.ph...PNC-U51CoolPad

It does cool my PB. My experience told me that if you plan to attach an external monitor, keyboard and mouse, the PB gets a little hotter than usual so the fan will be on most of the time. Having extra fan on the cooling pad helps.
15"MBP/C2D2.4GHz/4GB RAM/320GB HD
15"MBP/C2D2.16GHz/3GB RAM/250GB HD
12"PB/1GHz/768MB/60GB/SuperDrive/AE
iPhone 8GB/iPod video 30GB

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 18, 2004, 11:02 PM

The iCurve is cool because it clears the space under the laptop for whatever you want. My desk is already taken up by my PowerMac and its keyboard, mouse, and other stuff. The ability to shift things around and under the PB while working has really made it easier for me to work at my desk. And although the angle seems steep, the PB is very securely held and doesn't slip around. It's a little bouncy to type on, but the original poster appears to want external input devices anyway.

teknopimp
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 18, 2004, 11:58 PM

i have both the icurve and 2 podium cool pads for my ibook and tibook. the different designs serve different purposes and work quite well.

i don't see a purpose for a stand with fans if your laptop is not a tibook or albook, or other laptop with metal body that radiates heat or if there aren't vents on the bottom.

luckiesf1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 19, 2004, 12:44 AM

I've had the icurve for about 1 month and all I can say is that I wish I had gotten it earlier. After using my pb for 8 months with out the stand, I could feel my neck and shoulders tense up from constantly looking down. When I got the icurve, I have not felt any neck or shoulder pain since the screen is now at eye level. As well, I find it convenient that I can store my ipod cables/wires under powerbook with the icurve.
12" 867 PB/1128MB RAM/60GB/SD/Airport Express/BT Mouse + Keyboard/40GB ipod.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2004, 02:26 AM

iCurve rocks
we don't have time to stop for gas

bbales
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2004, 09:30 AM

Originally posted by Tomster:
Podium cool pad! Simple but effective.
I echo this suggestion. I think it was $30, only and it does the job. I think that icurve looks very odd -- plus, that would make it too high for me. My laptop is always on the cool pad and the fan doesn't run that much. Very effective.

sniffer
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2004, 10:14 AM

I got the iCurve and Apple keyboard from Apple Store a couple of hours ago, and I love it.

Check out my pictures here:

http://hasselberg.mac1.no/bilder/iCurve/Sites.html

This is a quality product!

Sniffer gone old-school sig

Casper Crane
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 19, 2004, 06:38 PM

bought the iCurve last year for my wife, but she doesn't use it (prefers her lap), so i tried it when i got my powerbook, but it sits too high, and i have a keyboard tray. i guess if you didn't have a keyboard tray, and sat the keboard right under it, it'd be good. doesn't look as good as i thought it would.

anyway, got the PodiumPad, which is very stable, invisible under the 17-inch, and only raises the front edge of the notebook about 1/2-inch, so you can really use it without a keyboard.

pop a bluetooth mouse into the picture and you are in heaven.

i only got one because i needed a little more height, and a little less heat.

almost bought the $70 G-Breeze from MacMice, but i'm glad i didn't, it doesn't even seem to be around anymore, and the PodiumPad is only $30.

egleband83
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 20, 2004, 01:08 AM

I bought the iCurve in november and have really enjoyed it. I can definitely tell a difference in back/neck pain; a whole lot less than when my iBook was sitting just on the desk.
A switcher as of 8/20/03 and loving every moment of it!
15.4" 2.2ghz MBP

Forum Links
Forum Rules