Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > RAID 5 Question

RAID 5 Question
Big-C
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2004, 02:54 PM

Hi,

Does anybody here have a Raid 5 volume setup? If so, do you happen to know a unix command for displaying details about the raid? I'm interested in emailing the status of the raid to myself each morning.

I can make the email part happen, but I can't figure out the command to list the status of the raid.

I've found that 'diskutil checkraid' will list my mirrors - but not raid 5 (or I'm doing something wrong)...

Thanks for any help!

-Chris
PS. Any alternative suggestions about getting this information is welcome!

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2004, 03:38 PM

Are you using an Xserve RAID box by chance?

Big-C  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2004, 03:43 PM

Yes - sorry I didn't provide details;

I have 2 scenario's:

g4 xserve with Xraid connected via fibre. (about 1 year old).
g5 xserve with Xraid connected via fibre.

Both are running 10.3.4.

These machines have moved from testing to production recently.

-Chris

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2004, 03:46 PM

Well, why can't you use the "Xserve Raid Admin Tools" then to get all the information? It even has an option to E-mail you the data of the RAID when requested?

Just wondering.

Big-C  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2004, 05:35 PM

The admin tools are what I'm relying on at the moment, and that is a fine idea...

The only reason I ask for a unix command is that other admin's on my servers have turned off the xraid admin tool and forgot to turn it back on. We had one disk fail in the year we've had the xraid, and I only noticed it because I walked by the machine and the disk light was red. The machine stayed up and worked perfectly, but I wish I had known when it happened.

While I can admonish them, I feel more comfortable creating a cron job that they don't know how to fiddle with.

No biggee - thanks for your input!

-Chris

sbjordal
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2004, 09:47 PM

There are no xserve commandline tools available that would give you that information. I dont have an xraid in front of me, but you could try to telnet or ssh in to the ethernet mgmt ports on the xraid itself to see what's available there. There are some xserve commandline diag tools that you can install also from the Server Admin cd, but I think those are stricktly xserve hardware (hwmond) related. Again, i dont have the equipment in front of me, so this is all from memory.
---
One XP Box, One Suse Box, One Blue & White,
One ibook, One iMac 17 FP, one 30 gig iPod and a mini
happy .mac customer, os9 free since 3/24/01

dhobbit
Jul 26, 2004, 10:07 PM

You can use snmp to query the xraid. I've used snmpwalk to get xraid status.

Originally posted by Big-C:
The admin tools are what I'm relying on at the moment, and that is a fine idea...

The only reason I ask for a unix command is that other admin's on my servers have turned off the xraid admin tool and forgot to turn it back on. We had one disk fail in the year we've had the xraid, and I only noticed it because I walked by the machine and the disk light was red. The machine stayed up and worked perfectly, but I wish I had known when it happened.

While I can admonish them, I feel more comfortable creating a cron job that they don't know how to fiddle with.

-Chris

msuper69
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2004, 10:51 PM

Originally posted by Big-C:

-Chris
I would not have a good feeling if my server admins didn't know the importance of leaving the admin tools running. Maybe if they have to come in at night and fix a problem because they turned off the tools they might learn an important lesson.

RayX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 28, 2004, 03:45 AM

-

RayX
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 28, 2004, 03:46 AM

---
( Last edited by RayX; May 20, 2006 at 06:30 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules