Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.3.5 forgets roll over state?

10.3.5 forgets roll over state?
neophilia
Forum Regular
Aug 28, 2004, 01:36 PM

Getting a weird bug on my rev A dual 2.0 running 10.3.5.. Every so often, the systems seems to forget to display any roll over actions. Examples:

- The dock item names don't show up on roll over
- Clicking a menu and scrolling through the list won't highlight anything (instead, clicking and holding does)

This also COMPLETELY freaks out Photoshop. For instance, toggling the cursor mode for the brush from Precise to default (capslock key) makes the brush cursor jump to the top left corner of the screen or sometimes another random place and just stick there. But you can still draw on the canvas fine, it's just as if the cursor itself doesn't update.

Restarting has always fixed this. Repairing permissions, Disk Util, etc haven't fixed anything.

Any ideas? Haven't found anything in various searches..

Thanks,
-n

Thorzdad
Aug 28, 2004, 10:04 PM

Do you happen to have a Wacom tablet on your Mac?

I am experiencing similar, though not identical, problems as well. For me, when I mouse over to my hidden dock, it doesn't automatically pop-up. I AM getting the same lack of menu highlighting that you describe.

I am suspecting there is some sort of glitch in my Wacom driver.

neophilia  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 28, 2004, 10:42 PM

Originally posted by Thorzdad:
Do you happen to have a Wacom tablet on your Mac?
Nope, all I have is a Logitech mouse (no drivers installed, though). Forgot to mention, this also kills rollover functionality inside Safari.
-n

Thorzdad
Aug 29, 2004, 10:42 AM

THis is very interesting, though. Your the first person I've talked to who is having similar problems. The fact that you don't have a tablet is, I guess, good news to me. I have problems wih Safari when this happens, too. For instance, normally, clicking on the scrollwheel of the Wacom mouse will open a link in a new tab. When this problem crops up, that function is dead.

Maybe we can figure this out together? Find come commonalities between our situations?

Are you the only user on your Mac? If not, would someone else happen to also be logged in at the same time as you (using Fast User Switching)?

Jim

smeger
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2004, 12:31 PM

I don't know what's causing this, but it sounds like either the portion of the window server that's responsible for mouse in/out events is getting fubared somehow, or mach messaging is somehow getting screwed up.

No clue why, or how to fix, though.

Are you guys running any software that installed custom kernel extensions (kexts)? Do you have multiple monitors? Do you regularly use video mirroring? Can you think of anything that happens often that would change your monitor geometry? Do you regularly play games that change the monitor resolution?
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Busemann
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2004, 02:07 PM

I have this with my MS IntelliMouse if I don't use its drivers, but only when using fast user switching (!)

For me the problems starts when using the side-buttons or clicking with the scroll-button. I think its a bug with Apple's built in mouse drivers for multi button mice.

the only solution that did it for me was to install the MS-drivers.

Thorzdad
Aug 29, 2004, 03:25 PM

smeger: I would have no idea about installing kexts. What sort of software would do so? I don't run multiple monitors (just my 23"Apple Cinema) I don't play games very often...maybe once a month or so.

My Mac is primarily a work machine (Illustrator, Photoshop, etc) and a web browser (Safari). The only thing that seems, for me, to be associated with this problem is Safari. The problem seems to always start while using Safari. That's not to say everytime I use Safari it happens, but when it happens, I seem to be using Safari. That, and I am always using the wireless (2-button + scrollwheel) mouse that came with my Wacom tablet. Obviously, I have the Wacom driver installed (the latest one that supports Fast User Switching) so, I don't think it relies on Apple's mouse drivers.

neophilia  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2004, 04:57 PM

I do have 2 users and I think it's only happened with both users logged in.. The problem crops up on both accounts when it does. Also have 2 monitors hooked up to the 9600 Pro card.

Played Halo a bit on this machine earlier and found it to crash consistently, but at the time I was running a secondary PCI graphics card that was giving me loads of problems. Haven't played anything else or done anything else that would change the monitor resolutions.

Might try installing the Logitech drivers (again) later.. I do have MouseZoom installed as the horrible Logitech drivers don't let you tweak speed and in fact shift the speed in and out when I had it installed. Huge letdown, the hardware's great but terrible software.
-n

Thorzdad
Aug 29, 2004, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by neophilia:
I do have 2 users and I think it's only happened with both users logged in.. The problem crops up on both accounts when it does. ...
I think this might be the common point for us. This problem only pops-up for me when I have other users logged-in as well.

Busemann
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2004, 06:31 PM

I think this might be the common point for us. This problem only pops-up for me when I have other users logged-in as well.
Yes here it only happens when 2 or more are logged in and when clicking other buttons than the left or right buttons.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Aug 29, 2004, 08:22 PM

I've had some dodgy rollover behaviour since 10.3. Bookmarks on the bookmarks' bar in Safari do not highlight or stay highlighted when they shouldn't, and sometimes widgets don't activate when I mouse over an inactive window. I'd say it's a window server thing (although I am sing USB overdrive for mouse drivers). It's never effected me negatively, just an annoying bug that reminds me OS X is still not perfect.

RayX
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 29, 2004, 11:37 PM

As noted in the Logitech Control Center Readme:

Q: My LCC settings are gone after switching user with "Fast User Switching", what happened?

A: LCC does not support "Fast User Switching". In order to enjoy the different LCC configurations for multiple users, one has to log out and log in the system instead of using "Fast User Switching". To log out and log in the system:

* Select Apple Menu on the upper left corner.
* Select "Log Out".
* Click "Log Out" button when prompted.
* Select your log-in name or type in the log-in name. Then, enter your password.
* Click "Log In".
( Last edited by RayX; May 20, 2006 at 06:23 AM. )

Thorzdad
Sep 1, 2004, 09:20 PM

Just recieved this from Wacom support:

"I have some good news, and some not so good news. The good news, is
that both of the problems you are experiencing are known. The not so good
news is that I am not sure when they will be resolved. After talking with
our Mac developer I've learned that the middle mouse click problem you are
having is not a Wacom specific problem, like you pointed out. It is actually
a problem with all mice with a scroll wheel and middle mouse button. It is a
bug with Mac OS X, and we actually filed a bug with Apple, bug #3757233,
which ended up being a duplicate, so we are indeed not the only folks who
have reported the problem. Regretfully, there isn't much I can do to help
out with that specific issue."

Sooooo...this is a known issue and at least two bug reports (and at least one from a voice I would think Apple would be more apt to listen to, namely Wacom) have been filed.

Now we twiddle our thumbs and wait for Tiger, I guess.

BTW, Wacom support turned out to be about the best support I've encountered in a long time. They kept me updated regularly and *gasp* actually bothered to ask intelligent questions. And never a scripted reply.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Sep 2, 2004, 01:43 AM

I have this with my MS IntelliMouse if I don't use its drivers, but only when using fast user switching
Just chiming in... Using 10.3.5, I have this bug with an MS IntelliMouse (no extra drivers) when using Fast User Switching. A reboot is the only thing that solves it. Even logging out both users, then logging one back in doesn't help.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

neophilia  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 2, 2004, 01:53 AM

It sounds like this really is a 10.3.x OS X bug that affects anyone using a multi-button mouse with fast user switching enabled.

Dang, I was hoping for an easy fix. Guess it's all up to Apple.. Wish the Finder had a bug button built in like Safari..
-n

lenox
Senior User
Sep 2, 2004, 02:29 AM

Hi, I was pointed to this thread by RayX; I am having a very similar problem...I didn't see this thread, so I made my own. Instead of linking to it, I'll just paste my issue.
-------------
Topic: expos� and FUS bug

I have some expos� hotkey set to a few buttons on my mouse (without modifiers), and it works great. However, the other day, I set up Fast User Switching so my roomate could use my computer from her own account. Her account is set up completely standard, down to the default aqua wallpaper.

Anyhow, when she switches to her account, and then I go back to mine, every button I click on my mouse invokes an expos� mode...so I can't click on anything. I have a logitech mouse, but I am using no special logitech drivers; just os x's support.

Anyone else come across this before? I was thinking of just setting up her account to have the same expos� prefs as mine, to see if that fixes things.
---------------

From reading your reports and comparing them to mine, it seems like something with the mouse prefs doesn't carry between user switching, and this bugs out the window manager/expos�/something. Let's hope they take care of this in 10.4; I sent a really detailed bug report to Apple.

Black Lab
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 2, 2004, 10:23 PM

I found this topic from some extensive searching, and thought I would chime in.

It sems that I was afflicted by this bug yesterday. I do have a Logitech multi-button mouse with the Logitech drivers installed, but as opposed to most of you it seems, I do NOT have Fast User Switching enabled. Never have. Maybe that makes me the odd one out here. I don't understand why this happened though. I thought it was the Skype OS X beta that I downloaded and installed yesterday, but that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

Currently running 10.3.5 on a 500mhz G3 iMac, 384MB RAM.

IamBob
Senior User
Sep 4, 2004, 05:00 PM

+1

woodie63
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2004, 01:04 PM

Hi, I have had the same problem with a ti 800DVI powerbook running 10.3.4
I also have a WACOM Intuos 2 tablet.
Normally I would restart to resolve the issue but this time I noticed that the problem started around the time I plugged in my D-link bluetooth adapter.
So I unplugged all USB devices, tested the menus via the trackpad, the menus worked as normal again.

Hope this helps as a temporary fix

Peter

mikemako
Senior User
Sep 19, 2004, 09:24 PM

I noticed this bug in 10.3.2 while using a standard Kensington optical mouse (Model number 72123). The problem went away once Kensington released an updated driver for Panther. The updated driver release notes confirm the FUS bug: "If you are using Mac OS X 10.3 Fast User Switching, you must use MouseWorks 2.4 or later, since earlier versions will get very confused." So it's fixed for Kensington Mouse owners..
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

Busemann
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2004, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by woodie63:
Hi, I have had the same problem with a ti 800DVI powerbook running 10.3.4
I also have a WACOM Intuos 2 tablet.
Normally I would restart to resolve the issue but this time I noticed that the problem started around the time I plugged in my D-link bluetooth adapter.
So I unplugged all USB devices, tested the menus via the trackpad, the menus worked as normal again.

Hope this helps as a temporary fix

Peter
Still happens here with no USB devices except the mouse and keyobard.

Its a really strange bug for sure...

RayX
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2004, 07:02 AM

Fixed or improved in 10.3.6?

Anyone got any reports?

I will be testing soon.

neophilia  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 7, 2004, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by RayX:

Anyone got any reports?

I will be testing soon.
Haven't had the problem yet under 10.3.6, but it's only been a day for me.
-n

Some Guy []
Forum Regular
Nov 8, 2004, 12:00 AM

maybe that's why apple is still only making 1 button mice :p

-justin

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 25, 2004, 12:32 PM

Originally posted by RayX:

Anyone got any reports?
Still there . Powerbook 12" first generation with Logitech and Kensington mice.

neophilia  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2004, 04:02 PM

Haven't gotten the issue to repeat yet under 10.3.6. I do sometimes get what feels like a slow menu response, but that's been going away without a restart. Fingers crossed..
-n

Macpilot
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2004, 08:48 PM

Hmmm.....

I have this issue with Safari once in a while, when the cursor goes over the upper left corner of a Safari window, the cursor arrow disappears. And now that I think about it, it only happens when using a mouse, and not the trackpad.

I use a BT500 bluetooth mouse on the road, and a Logitech MX700 at home. I never had to install drivers to use either mouse. And I have FUS enabled.
MacBook Pro
Mac Mini

Thorzdad
Jan 12, 2005, 11:07 AM

After several months of quiet, this little bug jumped-up and bit me last night. I had nearly forgotten all about it, too. I wish I knew a) What made it go away for so long, and b)What made it suddenly come back. I haven't substatially changed or added anything to the system in that time.
Still running 10.3.6.

neophilia  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2005, 01:14 PM

After several months of quiet, this little bug jumped-up and bit me last night. I had nearly forgotten all about it, too. I wish I knew a) What made it go away for so long, and b)What made it suddenly come back. I haven't substatially changed or added anything to the system in that time.
Still running 10.3.6.
Man that is weird. I woke up this morning, switched users and my cursor vanished. First time in months. Now the system is hanging on startup.. Didn't run any updates last night. I think I did upgrade to 10.3.7 a while ago.
-n

nebben123
Forum Regular
Jan 12, 2005, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by Busemann:
I have this with my MS IntelliMouse if I don't use its drivers, but only when using fast user switching (!)

For me the problems starts when using the side-buttons or clicking with the scroll-button. I think its a bug with Apple's built in mouse drivers for multi button mice.

the only solution that did it for me was to install the MS-drivers.
Ah-ha! I have the same problem. If I fast switch to another user, and then scroll-click (for example to open a new tab in OmniWeb), then I can't click on anything else in OmniWeb until I force-quit it and re-launch.

Weird.

Ben

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 15, 2005, 04:36 PM

I'm having the same problem, and I've also only noticed it when I have multiple people logged into the system (multiple user switching).

Dual G5 2.5, 4gb RAM, dual 23" Cinemas, Kensington Wireless Mouse (multiple buttons), 10.3.7

Is this still happening to people with 10.3.8?

(sorry for the bump, but I didn't think this warranted a new thread)
( Last edited by Steve; Feb 15, 2005 at 05:10 PM. )

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

neophilia  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 15, 2005, 05:13 PM

Originally posted by Steve:
Is this still happening to people with 10.3.8?
Just upgraded, and so far so good..
-n

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 15, 2005, 05:22 PM

Originally posted by neophilia:
Just upgraded, and so far so good..
-n
I'm upgrading as we speak, so I'll see how it works out.

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 15, 2005, 06:54 PM

Everything seems to be working like it should now!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 16, 2005, 09:20 AM

I have not been bitten by this bug since I only use Apple input devices. However, the pessimist in me says it may be premature to declare the bug has been squashed by 10.3.8 after only one day's worth of use. For the sake of everyone effected, I do hope the positive reports pan out.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Busemann
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2005, 01:24 PM

Not fixed in 10.3.8..

But if you use 3rd party mouse drivers, it doesn't happen.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2005, 04:07 PM

Bizzump. Has anyone found an actual useful fix for this problem? Because it just turned up for me in 10.3.8 after using a Logitech mouse/kb with drivers for, oh, 2 years.

Just noticed it yesterday in 10.3.8, still happening with 10.3.9 today, and with only one user logged in (FUS is off in System Preferences, but I use WinSwitch, so I guess it's actually on).

The issue with the dock and even Safari bookmark rollovers I can deal with. But its screwing up of menu highlighting is really getting my goat.. It's persisted through at least 2 reboots now, as well.

sporksalot
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2005, 04:14 PM

Anyone know if Tiger fixes this problem?

I've got a Wacom tablet and FUS turned on and I've been living with this problem for a while . Beyond the gerneral annoyingness of it, it actually makes some apps like Maya and Shake un-useable. At this point i'm hoping for anything that might fix this problem.

eric

Busemann
Mac Elite
May 2, 2005, 04:34 PM

Yes, it is fixed in Tiger

Forum Links
Forum Rules