Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Digital audio out ---> SPDIF?

Digital audio out ---> SPDIF?
JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2004, 11:25 PM

So.... the iMac has digital audio out. Which is great. But I've been looking a bit and can't find an answer for this: anyone know a cheap adapter to convert the 1/8" digital-out into a digital SPDIF connection?
*justin

Isn't logic swell? It gives answers without really answering anything!

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 27, 2004, 12:13 AM

I haven't looked at this at all, but might it be the same connection as on the Airport Express?

I just had a look at the iMac subsite, they call it a mini optical out. I'm betting it's the same thing. If you don't want to buy the Airport express connection kit, go look under minidisc player accessories for a mini-optical out -> optical cable.

-- james

RayX
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 27, 2004, 04:12 AM

It's the same optical connection as in the AirPort Express.

Search for Mini Toslink. Your Hi-Fi/Receiver system most likely has a standard Toslink connector.

So you want a Mini Toslink to Toslink cable (included in the AirPort Express Stereo connection kit), or a standard Toslink cable with an adaptor on one end. Any place that sells hi-fi/audio cables and parts should be able to hook you up.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Sep 27, 2004, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by JustinD:
So.... the iMac has digital audio out. Which is great. But I've been looking a bit and can't find an answer for this: anyone know a cheap adapter to convert the 1/8" digital-out into a digital SPDIF connection?
What's cheap to you ?

Even Radioshack has the stuff you need:

Either use and regular TOS-Link (SPDIFF) cable and this adapter:
http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...t%5Fid=15-1584

or get something like this:

http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...t%5Fid=15-1597

-t

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 29, 2004, 03:07 PM

Just a little FYI -- the optical digital is S/PDIF (Sony/Philips Digital Interconnect Format). It can be carried electrically over coaxial cable (which is what I think you want), or optically using TOSLINK optical connectors. (S/PDIF uses the same exact signaling as professional AES/EBU digital audio, which just uses balanced XLR connectors instead of unbalanced RCA plugs.)

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules