Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 2GB of RAM or 1GB and 7200rpm HDD

2GB of RAM or 1GB and 7200rpm HDD
Agent69
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2006, 03:16 PM

In a MacBook, which would be better for performance: 2GB of DDR2-RAM or 1GB of DDR2-RAM and an upgrade to a 7200rpm HDD? Which would you get?
Agent69

iREZ
Professional Poster
Oct 27, 2006, 03:24 PM

ram
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

JayMan8081
Oct 27, 2006, 03:44 PM

I was wondering this exact same thing. Could you give your reasons as to why you would do one over the other? Thanks.

gametime10
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 27, 2006, 04:18 PM

The 2GB would probably allow you to have more programs open and run certain programs faster, but if I had to choose, I would pick a larger HDD, just because a larger HDD will increase the functionality of your computer (more programs, Boot Camp, more music, movies, etc...) at the cost of a few seconds of wait time, as opposed to less wait time, but also less functionality.

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2006, 04:18 PM

Ram,
OSX especially with rosetta needs ram.

I'd rather increase the ram which will decrease swapping. Regardless of how fast your hard drive is, ram will always access data faster and by increasing the ram, you decrease OSX's need to use virtual memory/swap files on the drive.

A fast hard drive will only speed up booting up, and any time data is accessed where as memory will be used all of the time.
Michael

mini.boss
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2006, 05:44 PM

2GB Ram.

Considering you even have to ask then its safe to assume you arent going to be doing anything that high end there (or you wouldve just picked both 7200+2GB).

1GB really is enough for most people so if I would recommend anything it would be 1GB + larger HDD. But then who knows. Its all decided by what the end user really needs so its all up to you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules