Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Slow Adobe Acrobat Reader Download

Slow Adobe Acrobat Reader Download
Sagedaddy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2001, 11:19 PM

Hello All,
Has anybody found the Acrobat Reader 5.0 Downloader/Installer to be abysmally slow? It has been going for more than 1/2 hour and it only downloaded 61K!! I am running OS X and the installer is a classic app. Anybody have a similar experience? Anybody know a faster way to get it? Thanks.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2001, 04:23 AM

It's driving me NUTS - It seems to get decent speed, but only for 2 or 3 minutes, and then gives an error and gives up. Fortunately it keeps what it's downloaded so far, but it's really driving me mad. Why can't Abobe just post a URL to the installer file ???

penfold
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 11, 2001, 06:36 AM

Are you installing in Classic or native OS 9.1 - I would recommend booting in OS 9.1 and try from there. To be honest I'm on a dial up and have not bothered to complete the d/l - Preview serves me needs for now - what ever happened to OmniPDF - seems to have vanished from OmniGroup's web site - shame - it was really good.
--------------------------------
You're crazy - you think you're going to change this silly little world... better see yourself a shrink
----------------------------------------------------------------

mumble
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 11, 2001, 01:47 PM

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Jun 12, 2001, 07:06 AM

There's no way I'm downloading 39 Mb over a modem !

I only wanted to see what ClearType or whatever it's called looks like on my iBook.

Nokin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2001, 01:28 PM

I downloaded it into 9.1 without a problem but it kept crashing when I tried to open it in OSX........then suddenly, a month or so later, it has started working ok in OSX except that now if I try to save to PDF from Preview then Acrobat 5 opens up and does the save (not Preview)!

Whatever, it's probably worth trying to dowmnload by booting straight into 9.1.......I just wish I knew what I've changed that has let it take over Preview!

Nokin

Nokin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 12, 2001, 01:29 PM

I downloaded it into 9.1 without a problem but it kept crashing when I tried to open it in OSX........then suddenly, a month or so later, it has started working ok in OSX except that now if I try to save to PDF from Preview then Acrobat 5 opens up and does the save (not Preview)!

Whatever, it's probably worth trying to dowmnload by booting straight into 9.1.......I just wish I knew what I've changed that has let it take over Preview!

Nokin

Forum Links
Forum Rules