Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Why Do People Use Mac The Ripper And Then HandBrake?

Why Do People Use Mac The Ripper And Then HandBrake?
Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2008, 12:56 PM

Is that necessary? HandBrake will convert a DVD right off the disc for me. Is it faster? Easier on the disc?

And instead of creating another thread for this question, how do people create those shadows on the screenshots of just windows? I assume thats a Leopard thing?
( Last edited by Mac User #001; Jan 9, 2008 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Another question.)
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2008, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post
Is that necessary? HandBrake will convert a DVD right off the disc for me. Is it faster? Easier on the disc?
I don't think it has much to do with speed or being easier on the drive. I do it because I want to keep the Video_TS folder in case I want to burn it to DVD without altering the picture quality, watch it off my laptop (less battery usage than spinning the optical drive for two hours) or if I want to make two separate encodes - one for say my iPhone and another at higher quality for my AppleTV.

But doing it all in one step works fine, too.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2008, 02:15 PM

It frees up the optical drive faster - you can rip the disc in much shorter time, put the disc out, and use the drive for other things while hb chugs away processing it.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2008, 04:03 PM

Does Handbrake strip Macrovision?

Mac User #001  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2008, 04:09 PM

Ah, that all makes sense.

I usually encode a movie at night though, so time is no worry. And I encode movies at the highest iPod setting which looks great on an iPod and on my 12" screen.

But I definitely see the use of it now, thanks.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2008, 04:54 PM

I use HandBrake to take a movie off of DVD and make it so I can put it in my new iPod Touch.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2008, 06:33 PM

HandBrake sucks at ripping (just ask the developers) and it usually increases throughput by a bit to encode from hard drive instead of optical drive (rip all day, encode all day and night).

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2008, 10:32 AM

Yeah but you still don't need Mac The Ripper unless you really need a de-CSS'ed copy of the VIDEO_TS. I just always just copy the VIDEO_TS folder (or folders if I'm doing multiple DVDs) straight from the DVD to the hard disk in the Finder and then run Handbrake on that.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2008, 10:45 AM

Handbrake can be flaky when it needs to rip the disc too. At least it was in the past. It was more reliable to use MacTheRipper first before running Handbrake. (Note: I haven't bothered trying Handbrake directly from the original DVD since last year though.)

swiz
GUI Punk
Jan 19, 2008, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by wataru View Post
Yeah but you still don't need Mac The Ripper unless you really need a de-CSS'ed copy of the VIDEO_TS. I just always just copy the VIDEO_TS folder (or folders if I'm doing multiple DVDs) straight from the DVD to the hard disk in the Finder and then run Handbrake on that.
No Ill effects from doing a simple Finder copy of the Video _TS folder?
Is the Finder copy faster than MTR?

On a side note, I have a 2.1ghz G5 iMac and it takes typically 10 hours per movie encoding to AppleTV setting. Is this the typical time for this Mac? I was looking on Bare Feats and it looks as if the 2.16ghz Dual Core Intel iMac is almost twice as fast, if I can encode each movie in closer to 5-6 hours Im gonna be selling this iMac for the 24" Intel non-aluminum refurb.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2008, 11:41 AM

Ill effects? Like what? It's a simple file copy operation. I haven't timed it versus MTR, but on any reasonably fast machine it should be similar, since it's probably IO-bound, not CPU-bound.

swiz
GUI Punk
Jan 19, 2008, 12:07 PM

I wasn't sure if there was some trick which MTR was performing while ripping which Handbrake may rely on to successfully perform its task.

24" AlumiMac 2.4ghz C2D, 4g Ram, 300g HD, 750g USBHD • 80g iPod • 160g ATV • iPhone 3g

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2008, 09:51 PM

That's exactly what we've been saying throughout this whole thread--no, MTR doesn't perform any vital task if ultimately all you're going to do is run Handbrake.

swiz
GUI Punk
Jan 19, 2008, 10:23 PM

Then what does MTR do that makes it necessary to use if your doing something other than Handbraking it?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2008, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by swiz View Post
Then what does MTR do that makes it necessary to use if your doing something other than Handbraking it?
Strips Macrovision. Did you think that it simply does nothing more than a file copy? Why would you need it to do that?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2008, 11:14 PM

nm.

swiz
GUI Punk
Jan 20, 2008, 01:42 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Strips Macrovision. Did you think that it simply does nothing more than a file copy?
No the case is I always thought it did do more than a simple copy, thats why I was asking why wataru said it didnt provide a vital task necessary for Handbrake to do its task.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 20, 2008, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by swiz View Post
No the case is I always thought it did do more than a simple copy, thats why I was asking why wataru said it didnt provide a vital task necessary for Handbrake to do its task.
Ahhh... my mistake, sorry I was a little disoriented there. I guess wataru thought that Handbrake handles Macrovision decoding?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2008, 04:57 AM

If it doesn't, that's news to me.

mindwaves
Jan 21, 2008, 09:29 PM

How fast does it take to rip a DVD usually? The time using MTR on my one DVD took 8+ hours on my iMac Al. I don't believe the CPU was even remotely taxed.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2008, 10:37 PM

mindwaves: perhaps it hit a rough spot on the DVD it couldn't read from?

Bradie
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2008, 12:48 AM

I use MTR and then Handbrake because Handbrake will not always rip a DVD for me, so I prefer to go with a method that I know for sure will work.

bearcatrp
Senior User
Jan 27, 2008, 11:44 AM

Isn't MTR still for PPC systems? Has anyone tried wondershare DVD ripper? Being for intel, would assume it works faster. As for handbrake, works great but I have one movie (crank) that it won't work on. Suggestions?
Randy
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 29, 2008, 10:58 AM

As has been said before, MacTheRipper is a much better ripper than Handbrake. For the biggest chance of success, MacTheRipper it first, then Handbrake it.

Furthermore, Handbrake historically has been much more flaky with certain titles if you tried ripping from the DVD directly.

If it works DVD -> Handbrake, then great. However, if it doesn't, then it can't hurt to give MacTheRipper a chance first. I personally had given up on Handbrake ripping. I just use MTF first. Saves headache.

Actually for movies for travelling, I usually don't even bother with Handbrake these days, since I don't have a video iPod at the moment. I just rip the VIDEO_TS folder to my laptop's hard drive, and watch from that directly.

swiz
GUI Punk
Jan 29, 2008, 11:38 AM

I've noticed that even though MTR is PPC it is about 20% faster than a Finder copy of a DVD(on my C2D iMac). I do have to force quit it after every rip for some reason which wasn't the case on my G5 iMac. But it works great.
BTW, kept running into hang at 100% issues with Hand Brake and The Godfather until I disabled Chapters in Handbrake. It still hung at 100% encode which I just canceled, it then Muxed properly and works without a hitch.

Forum Links
Forum Rules