Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > iTunes Match

iTunes Match
MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2012, 08:45 AM

Does anybody subscribe? I just want to know if it actually "streams" or "streams and downloads" to iOS devices. I'm just a bit confused after reading some of the articles that were published after the initial launch. From Apple's site "Once your music is in iCloud, you can stream it to any of your devices." But I've read that while it is "streaming" it is actually putting the song on your device.... I just want it to stream because music takes up 90% of my phone right now and I would like to free some of it up.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 13, 2012, 01:21 PM

You must have a lot of music. In iTunes there's an option to download the track, but if you don't it's streamed. I haven't used iCloud streaming on an iDevice yet, but I think it works the same way.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

-Q-
Mar 13, 2012, 01:50 PM

I've used it on both my work laptop and iPhone and unless I tell it to download, it streams.

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2012, 05:46 PM

Thanks for the info... I'm giving it a try.

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 14, 2012, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
I've used it on both my work laptop and iPhone and unless I tell it to download, it streams.
Ok I've been using it for less than a day now and it seems that when I play songs on my iPhone it streams and downloads at the same time... How are you making it just stream? Is there a setting?

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 15, 2012, 10:01 AM

I still wonder about my above post for streaming and NOT downloading to the iPhone, but I'm currently very happy with iTunes match because I downloaded iTunes to my work computer and.. Voila! all my music streams perfectly. Well worth the $25 per year. And now this also gives me justification to buy a Macbook Air with less memory.

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2012, 08:29 AM

After having iTunes Match for almost 2 weeks now, I've noticed that some of my "explicit" content streams edited. Anyone know a fix for this? Also, driving down the highway and hitting a patch of no service is an issue- but that's obviously an issue for any streaming service (especially since I'm on AT&T).

Forum Links
Forum Rules