Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Boot camp installation if ALREADY partitioned?

Boot camp installation if ALREADY partitioned?
jksu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2006, 06:48 PM

hi,

i figured i'd be smart and partition my new 120gig drive for my macbook... installed the drive, fired up disc utility, made a 8gig partition for windows and the rest of os x. did the migration transfer overnight without a problem.

today i tried to install boot camp -- and it turns out i should've left my drive as a single partition.

am i stuck? do i have to backup the macbook and re-format it as a single partition? i may spend the $ for parallels just to avoid the hassle.

john

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 26, 2006, 08:41 PM

I think all Boot Camp does for you in terms of the hard drive is do the partitioning. As you already have the drive partitioned, Windows should see the unused space and let you install there.

That's just conjecture; I'm waiting for my own MacBook Pro to wind its way through "channels" in the agency that's funding my graduate work... Of course other people will chime in if I guessed wrong; they're good at that!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Macola
Mac Elite
Sep 26, 2006, 10:31 PM

Nope, BootCamp expects (and demands) an unpartitioned disk, so you'll have to reformat. This topic has come up in other threads, and there are a couple of workarounds, but they're not trivial.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Forum Links
Forum Rules