Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Does anyone own/has driven a Yaris?

Does anyone own/has driven a Yaris?
MindFad
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2006, 05:34 PM

I like its looks. I like its price. 6'5"-ish. Will I fit?

Confirm [ ]

Deny [ ]

Thx.

Salty
Professional Poster
May 21, 2006, 06:05 PM

I was actually debating whether or not I wanted to try and get a car like that...

MindFad  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2006, 07:06 PM

40 views and no takers yet?

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2006, 07:08 PM

seems there a lot more people buying fits than yaris'. dunno why, sorry i can't help florida.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2006, 07:11 PM

If they're the same model we get here, I've driven one.

Avoid...

1) "Coz they're crap.

2) 'Coz I don't think you'll fit.

(Edit: I've been to have a look at the site. Didn't know you could get sedan versions, so my observations should be taken as being for the lift-back.)
( Last edited by Doofy; May 21, 2006 at 07:36 PM. )
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 21, 2006, 07:25 PM

I haven't had the opportunity to sit in a Yaris yet, but it seems to be pretty similar to Chevy's Aveo, which I have been in. The Aveo houses me fairly comfortably and I'm 6'7.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Apfhex
Mac Elite
May 21, 2006, 07:40 PM

Not a Yaris, but I sat in an Echo and fit, but just barely. Wasn't terribly comfortable. 6'4"

As for the Fit, if it's any smaller than a Civic there's no chance, I don't fit into any Civic more than 2 years old.

Tilt-wheel would not be optional.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2006, 09:08 PM

It's $12,000. It's gotta be crap.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

memory-minus
Senior User
May 21, 2006, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by MindFad
6'5"-ish. Will I fit?
Why not just go test drive one?

MindFad  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2006, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by memory-minus
Why not just go test drive one?
Because I made a thread instead.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2006, 09:51 PM

You'd look much better in an F150, 'Fad.

Salty
Professional Poster
May 21, 2006, 10:47 PM

Trucks are too expensive.

mindwaves
May 21, 2006, 11:06 PM

It didn't get so good reviews. I would opt for a KIa Rio, Hundai Accent, Nissan Versa, or Honda Fit for that category. Also, the 2007 Chevy Aveo is looking good. I was going to buy the new Accent, but it came out too late so I opted for a previous generation Civic.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2006, 11:10 PM

I wouldn't say the Yaris is anything like the Aveo. The Echo (which was called Yaris in Europe) was more like the Aveo. The current model of Yaris is a complete redesign.

Having said that, I think you'll fit; they appear to be rather tall. Certainly taller than I expected they would be. However, they look rather cheap for a Toyota (which is to say they're about mid-range quality for a North American car)

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2006, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by MindFad
Because I made a thread instead.
Yeah, I think you should let the MacNN Lounge decide on ALL your major purchases...

-t

MindFad  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2006, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by what_the_heck
Yeah, I think you should let the MacNN Lounge decide on ALL your major purchases...

-t
That's exactly why I started this thread! Can't believe you figured me out!

Thank you for the insights, folks.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
May 21, 2006, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh
It's $12,000. It's gotta be crap.
Once upon a time, not hat long ago really, that was a heck of a lot of money for a car. Did you know that, even accounting for inflation, cars cost a whole lot more now than they did when Ford started making cars?

Sure, there's more technology in cars these days, but you'd think that with the level of mass production today and the way costs drop for years old technology that the total cost would level itself and cars would actually be cheaper today (while still accounting for inflation, of course).

Sage
Mac Elite
May 21, 2006, 11:51 PM

The new range of subcompacts are incredibly roomy – I’ve parked next to a Fit before, and it looks like a skyscraper compared to my Mazda 3.

That said, if you’re shooting for a Yaris, try it out first, because Toyota’s notorious for getting the pedal-wheel arrangement all wrong for taller people – their cars tend to have the pedals close and the wheel far away, which suits short people just fine, but feels really awkward for others.

simonjames
Mac Elite
May 22, 2006, 12:01 AM

Have not been in the latest model - drove the previous and cannot recommend it at all.

Can't believe Mindwaves suggested the Kia or the Hyundai - they should come with optional burial plot! In Australia these 2 have become known as chick cars.

Is the Honda Fit what Honda markets in Australia as the Jazz? My 69 year old mother drives the sports version thats only because she has a bad back and therefore couldn't get into a 3 series.

Pity you guys (USA) don't get the Merc A200 Turbo
this sig intentionally left blank

Sarc
Mac Elite
May 22, 2006, 02:14 AM

The Yaris has an excellent fuel efficiency, has a nice suspension, looks are horrible.
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2006, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by simonjames
Can't believe Mindwaves suggested the Kia or the Hyundai - they should come with optional burial plot! In Australia these 2 have become known as chick cars.
"Chick cars" must mean something completely different in Australia than in North America ...

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 22, 2006, 08:41 AM

Sat in an old shape one when I was looking to buy a car last year. I'm a long legged 6'6" and there wasn't quite enough legroom for me, had my legs around the steering wheel a little.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

greenamp
Mac Elite
May 22, 2006, 09:56 AM

You can get a Corolla for about 14-16k. Corollas get the same gas mileage, are bigger, and a bit higher quality.

ghporter
Administrator
May 22, 2006, 10:18 AM

I've been surprised by how roomy some small cars are-and how roomy some AREN'T! I had to rent a Neon once-and I'm 6'2"+. BAD idea! It didn't fit at all! Contrast that with every Honda I've been in since 1980, all of which fit both me and my 5'4" wife. Amazing!

The Echo seems to have lots more headroom than many subcompacts in part because it's taller. They also seem to have figured out the whole legroom thing (similar to Honda) by designing the seat to work properly in adjusting legroom when it moves front to back. I have only had the opportunity to look at Echos from the outside, but I think I'd be quite comfortable. Those of you giants (that's "people who are taller than me" ) may find things different, but it looks fine for me.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
May 22, 2006, 01:25 PM

You'll fit. And its a good choice, they're very well put together. I think they look kind of cool.
tin pot, garden shed

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 22, 2006, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Gabriel Morales
Once upon a time, not hat long ago really, that was a heck of a lot of money for a car. Did you know that, even accounting for inflation, cars cost a whole lot more now than they did when Ford started making cars?

Sure, there's more technology in cars these days, but you'd think that with the level of mass production today and the way costs drop for years old technology that the total cost would level itself and cars would actually be cheaper today (while still accounting for inflation, of course).
I read somewhere that in a modern car, 80% of the development cost is regulatory compliance, vs. just a few percent 30 years ago.

When Ford made the Model T, they sold one model. Nowadays, car makers make many models, thus reducing volume of each, meaning less economy of scale, and fewer units over which to spread the aforementioned development costs. Combined with costly (though IMHO worthwhile) parts required by regulations (e.g. catalytic converter, sophisticated engine management computer, airbags, etc) that weren't needed in the Model T's day, it makes sense that costs have risen.

Maybe it's even more of a sign that wages for the average American have been stagnant for years while costs for nearly everything have risen.

tooki

simonjames
Mac Elite
May 22, 2006, 05:48 PM

"chick cars" - cars that only young women seem to buy - Hyundai Getz or Accent; Yaris

"hair dresser" cars - Mazda MX-5 (Miata) or BMW Z3

"old lady" - Honda Jazz/Fit

"house wife" - BMW 3 series

"Lombard" - Porsche 944 - Range Rover

what does "chick car" mean in the States? "chick magnet"?
this sig intentionally left blank

Doofy
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2006, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by tooki
Maybe it's even more of a sign that wages for the average American have been stagnant for years while costs for nearly everything have risen.
It's just the western economies balancing themselves out. Cars in the US have been too cheap for too long. I don't know if this still holds true, but a few years back it was actually cheaper to buy a Jaguar in the US than it was to buy the equivalent model in the dealership next to the factory in the UK.

And, if you think about what you're getting and what's gone into it, cars are pretty cheap anyways. I mean, it's a lot of metal for a not-so-bad price.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
May 22, 2006, 07:45 PM

When I was in the market for a new car I looked at the Yaris (Hatchback) and the Scion xA (Hatchback), both made by Toyota.

I like the Yaris, but after some investigating I found out that the U.S is not bringing the 4 door Hatchback, only the 2 door, into the country. I do not like 2 door hatchbacks since someone always has to get out and tilt the seat forwards to let people in the back seat. It's not the end of the world, but, in my opinion, it's a hassle.
If Toyota USA was to bring in the 4 door hatchback I might've* changed my mind.
Take a look at this thread for some photos of the 4 door hatchbacks. They have body kits on them, but you get the idea.

Some other things I did not like about the US Yaris, compared to the Japanese one is the interior, and how much cooler the Japanese one is. Take a look at this thread for some comparison photos of the interiors.

I am 6'2" (1.9m) and I drive a Scion xA (mine). I bought it about a month ago or so and I love it. Everyone who gets in it always comments that it is a lot more spacious than they were expecting. Even with my height I drive with the front seat a little forward, and I don't find it uncomfortable at all.
Besides the fact that the Yaris is only 2 door, the main reason I chose the Scion over it is because it comes with power windows, ABS, power door locks, power windows, and all other stuff as standard.
The only option I asked for was the upgraded stereo head unit, which gives you control of your iPod. Next to the parking brake there is an auxiliary jack for audio in. The iPod option installs a dock connector cable next to the auxiliary in; which charges your iPod, lets you use the steering wheel pause|next, volume up|down controls on the iPod, and the upgraded head unit lets you scroll through your iPod on it's screen, with it's clickable knob.

The 4 door of the Scion and the iPod attachment, and Scion's Pure Price (the price you see on their website is the price you'll pay) were the biggest selling points for me.

I suggest you try out the Yaris if you're happy with it, and maybe take a look at the Scions, since you'll be at the same dealership.

Forum Links
Forum Rules