Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Music Videos and Product Placement

Music Videos and Product Placement
Person Man
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2006, 09:24 AM

Remember when music videos were only used as promotions for songs, artists, and albums?

Not only that, but now they're advertising liquor, soda pop, cars, clubs, etc.

I don't listen to much American pop music these days, but I was watching a DVD compilation of music videos from 2005 from a Greek record label. Out of the 15 music videos, 12 of them had blatantly obvious product placement shots.

Several were promoting Dewar's White Label Scotch Whisky. One was promoting Nissan. One was promoting BMW. One was promoting Coca Cola. Another was promoting Ouzo 12.

There were shots where they would focus just on the product label/logo, so I know these were paid placements.

So I guess music videos advertise more than just the music found in them, now.

Post examples of the blatant product placement you've seen in music videos lately.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2006, 10:39 AM

lately? where have you been hiding?

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Sep 27, 2006, 11:12 AM

Yeah product placement is everywhere, videos, movies, tv, even commercials
Michael

Person Man  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2006, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by d4nth3m4n
lately? where have you been hiding?
Well, as I said, I don't listen to American Pop music, so I don't watch their music videos. And I don't watch much television at all or see many movies. Besides, I know all about product placement in TV shows and movies. That's been going on a LOT longer than music videos have been featuring paid product placement.

It's really only been the last five or six years that I've started noticing product placement in Greek music videos, and the last new American music video I saw had to have been at least 15 years ago.

I'm interested in hearing what people have seen recently in music videos.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2006, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by mac128k-1984
Yeah product placement is everywhere, videos, movies, tv, even commercials
Thank god it hasn't infiltrated our posts yet. The sight of product placement in these forums would make me spit my cool refreshing Pepsi® all over my 20" NEC™ Monitor.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 27, 2006, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man
Well, as I said, I don't listen to American Pop music, so I don't watch their music videos. And I don't watch much television at all or see many movies. Besides, I know all about product placement in TV shows and movies. That's been going on a LOT longer than music videos have been featuring paid product placement.

It's really only been the last five or six years that I've started noticing product placement in Greek music videos, and the last new American music video I saw had to have been at least 15 years ago.

I'm interested in hearing what people have seen recently in music videos.
so you're saying greece is 10 years behind americas trend for conspicuous consumerism?

look, i reserve my doubts about the paid aspect of product placement in music videos, but i do know that it's been going on for a while now. check some ancient N.W.A. videos and notice all the stuff that MTV tried to fuzz out back in the day. google "bling bling" to see what i'm talking about if you haven't already.

oh, and get a blog™

Person Man  (op)
Professional Poster
Sep 27, 2006, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by d4nth3m4n
check some ancient N.W.A. videos and notice all the stuff that MTV tried to fuzz out back in the day
Yes, but would they try to "fuzz it out" in this day and age?

Forum Links
Forum Rules