Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Anyone's ACD monitors getting "burnt" with images?

Anyone's ACD monitors getting "burnt" with images?
MindFad
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2006, 10:44 PM

I know this happens to CRTs, but I just noticed tonight to my horror that, towards the bottom left of my 20" display, you can actually see the World of Warcraft XP burnt into the LCD. It's very faded, but you can definitely see it. Doesn't seem to be fading away, either. Whether it's a sign I've played way too much in the last year or not, is there any remedy to it? I've adjusted the UI scale in WOW so it isn't in the same spot anymore, but damn! That's irritating.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2006, 11:42 PM

Widely reported/known issue, solution on the Apple support website - Avoiding image persistence on Apple LCD displays

MindFad  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 27, 2006, 11:45 PM

Hmmph! It actually has faded a little since I put a solid gray as my Dekstop image. I can still very slightly make it out, though. Blizzard should add an option to make that bar, as well as the icons, transparent.

Oversoul
Senior User
Sep 27, 2006, 11:55 PM

MindFad, I've had the same problem on my 23" and I'm not the only one. We've actually been discussing image persistence and a series of other ACD problems here. I know you noted you have a 20" and we're discussing 23"s, but you might feel better (ha!) knowing it's not an uncommon issue.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2006, 09:35 PM

I have some faint persistence of the top menu bar on my 30" cinema display.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2006, 10:00 PM

I'm getting a 30" soon, and that would drive me insane. Is it bad, or just something you'd notice only if you were freakishly attentive?
Linkinus is king.


Sep 28, 2006, 10:12 PM

My 23"s on my Mac Pros ( which were used on G5s before) have screen burn, but they run around 16 hours a day.
-

MindFad  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 29, 2006, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by brokenjago
I'm getting a 30" soon, and that would drive me insane. Is it bad, or just something you'd notice only if you were freakishly attentive?
For me, it seems only like a minor persistence problem after having a window in place for a good twenty minutes, and only then on a solid background Desktop. It's irritating, but probably because I'm freakishly attentive.

Now, is this a "problem" with all of Apple's displays—something that normally occurs in all of them? Or is this isolated? Or maybe the nature of all LCD monitors? I'd never even heard of it until I noticed it after about 4-5 hours of straight World of Warcraft one day, and only then because I happened to have a solid background up. Of course, this 20" ACD is the only LCD I've ever owned, so I don't know if this is just the nature of LCDs or not. Others seem to have it much, much worse, though, with the ghosting.

Rolling Musubi
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2006, 02:56 AM

My year old ACD has a dark wavy persistence near the top right corner; it's from the previous wallpaper I was using. Normally it isn't noticable unless a light color background is there (placed a blank document in the area to take the following).

Following is a closeup taken at a different exposure.

My Cinema Display (clear acrylic model) from 2002 and two 17" Studio Displays from 2001 don't have this problem.
rolling musubi gathers no nori.... (only dirt)

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2006, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by brokenjago
Fairly slight, mostly noticeable on a black screen, but when the backlight is on. The Computer Name screensaver is a good example. I can still see a faint area where the bright white menu bar was. Any fullscreen image covers it up though. I try to minimize any potential burn-in by using the iTunes cover picture screensaver.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2006, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Rolling Musubi
My year old ACD has a dark wavy persistence near the top right corner; it's from the previous wallpaper I was using. Normally it isn't noticable unless a light color background is there (placed a blank document in the area to take the following).

{snip}

Following is a closeup taken at a different exposure.

{snip}

My Cinema Display (clear acrylic model) from 2002 and two 17" Studio Displays from 2001 don't have this problem.
I've seen the same artifact on an HP 17" LCD at work, only it does around all 4 edges of the screen. Very annoying. I think it may be a different artifact than image persistence, though, as nothing at work displayed on that screen could produce such a burn-in.

Forum Links
Forum Rules