Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > No laptop refurbs in Apple Store: new models coming?

No laptop refurbs in Apple Store: new models coming?
amazing
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2007, 10:42 PM

I'm shocked: Just last week I was looking at MB and MBP refurbs (and PB) in the online Apple Store. Now there are absolutely none of the above. To me that means that Apple has sold off all their stock to 3rd party resellers to reduce their inventory prior to introducing new models. I'm thinking there'll be some online firesales from places like Microcenter, etc.

Understand that I'm not saying that new models are coming out immediately--just, maybe, oh maybe, in a month or two. Timed for the back-to-school buying crowd?? It's gonna be some while, because I imagine they have to reassure the retail buyers that they'll have a window-of-opportunity to sell what they've bought.

Anyway, I've seen this pattern with refurbs in the past, because whenever Apple introduces a new rev laptop, they then feature deep discounts on the present generation under a different tab in the "Special Deals" section online. When you're offering special deals on brand new models on the previous generation, you don't want to also to having to even more drastically reduce the refurbs.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 29, 2007, 11:07 PM

If your theory is right, it's because Intel is releasing the next generation mobile platform in a week.
But I have a feeling come tomorrow morning there will be plenty of refurbs available.

dagamer34
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2007, 01:40 PM

No, Apple only gets a few refurb units at a time (less than 10) and they sell out VERY quickly. A CS rep told me that you have to get up early to buy them (7-8AM) before they disappear since you save a lot for laptops that still get a full year warranty (I saved $400 on my new MBP).
15" MacBook Pro C2D 2.16Ghz | 2GB RAM | 120GB HDD | 128MB X1600 GPU

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2007, 01:54 PM

Refurbs do come and go. And yes, new MBPs based on Santa Rosa are expected May/June.

-Allen Wicks

mduell
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2007, 06:17 PM

Actually, there's almost nothing in the refurb store right now... one Mac Pro, a few displays, Airport, and a mouse.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2007, 06:41 PM

check at 8am (est) and im sure you'll see more than that.

ive been keeping a look out for refurb mbp's and only see them during the very early morning time (bout 7:45a.m. pst)
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

amazing  (op)
Professional Poster
May 1, 2007, 10:48 AM

oops, there are MB and PB refurbs available today. Looks like I'll have to return to consulting chicken entrails (tofu chicken, naturally!) for predictions as to when new laptop models will come out.

alternatively, I could consult the rumor sites for equally accurate predictions...

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
May 1, 2007, 09:08 PM

...or one can simply follow Intel's clear road map: new mobile chipset (Santa Rosa) in May. Since MBPs are very profitable for Apple, Apple is unlikely to let the MBPs get stale. Ergo new MBPs May/June time frame. Perhaps upgrades to MBs for the K-12 crowd pretty soon also since much of that market buys about now.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 1, 2007, 09:44 PM

The MacBook Pros are gone because I was just going to order one. Apple seems to hate me when I order refurb stuff.

Enigmatic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 1, 2007, 09:45 PM

Although I can sympathize with you who are waiting for a new revision, it's nice for once for me to have a computer for 4.5 months and still not have it discontinued and outdated(2.16 c2d mbp bought in dec), although I know that it won't be much longer until I no longer have one of the newest. I'll still be as content though.

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
May 2, 2007, 01:18 AM

Generally speaking do you guys think the upgrade from merom to santa rosa is worth it?

In current events across the internet companies left and right are announcing the santa rosa platform. While apple is yet to offer any insight about the upgrade. Do you think apple sees this upgrade as not enough to create a hype over current c2d?

I am more waiting for a complete redesign of the MBP......Love my 17" mbp 2.33 is a beast but the AL CASE is old-and we all know how apple is a master at creating products that make you drool
A.I.R (ART IS RESISTANCE)

Gamoe
Mac Elite
May 2, 2007, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Javizun View Post
Generally speaking do you guys think the upgrade from merom to santa rosa is worth it?
Well, we should at least have better integrated graphics, and maybe a few other goodies. I'm sure Apple will update the MBPs accordingly as well. At the very least, I would wait out the month and see for myself if it's worthwhile. You can always get a referb or old stock if you decide it's not.

Sultan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2007, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Javizun View Post
Santa Rosa replaces Napa (both are "platforms", ie cpu, chipset, wireless chipset and some optional components). The CPU will still be merom.

The difference between Napa and SR is fairly small. If you've got a merom-based system already, it's not worth it IMO.

Sultan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2007, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Gamoe View Post
Well, we should at least have better integrated graphics, and maybe a few other goodies. I'm sure Apple will update the MBPs accordingly as well. At the very least, I would wait out the month and see for myself if it's worthwhile. You can always get a referb or old stock if you decide it's not.
The desktop version of the integrated graphics - X3000 - is actually currently benching as worse than the GMA 950.

The current drivers -- Windows, obviously -- don't have the hardware T&L support implemented.

Obviously, this is irrelevant to the MBP tho' ...

amazing  (op)
Professional Poster
May 16, 2007, 11:43 AM

So, I started by supposing on April 29 that Apple's clearing out of refurbs indicated new models coming--and May 15 was the eventual magic day.

I'm mainly posting this because I still think that clearing out the refurbs is a minor indicator of new models in the offing. Everybody is always looking for signs that a new model is coming, and given that rumor sites and chicken entrails are about as reliable as cloud reading and divination, I'd rather have a more verifiable predictor of a pending update.

mduell
Posting Junkie
May 16, 2007, 01:21 PM

But in the time between your post and the MacBook refresh, there were refurb MacBooks available.

Time and the Intel roadmap are the best two predictors of new Mac releases.

amazing  (op)
Professional Poster
May 16, 2007, 04:20 PM

Well, yes, but that's Apple, ringing the last dregs out of the refurbs just before the update. And I did say it was a minor indicator, perhaps to be used with the major indicators of time and Intel releases so as to narrow down the time of arrival... Apple has always been very shrewd about milking the most possible out their product lines.

Now, for example, with the MB creeping up closer to the MBP (MB even has a better superdrive than the 15"), Apple's going to milk just a bit more out of the MBP, but everybody knows that new models are just around the corner. Apple is staggering the product announcements so as to get the most publicity as possible for each upgrade. Sales of the MBP will plummet as savvy buyers postpone their purchases momentarily, yet Apple will still sell some MBP.

Just as, if my post on April 29 made some few people postpone buying MBs even for just a few days, they'd be within the window where Apple would let them exchange the old model for this newest model. Is the exchange policy still 10 days? So, if they'd hesitated till the 5th or later, there's some benefit to be had.

Forum Links
Forum Rules