Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > LaunchCFMA hanging and pegging CPU....

LaunchCFMA hanging and pegging CPU....
MindFad
Posting Junkie
Oct 28, 2007, 05:15 PM

So I've encountered my first real Leopard issue. It involves LaunchCFMA and opening Photoshop CS files (original CS, yes, not CS2 or CS3). When I open one of the PS files, it seems to randomly hang—sometimes these same files will all open without issue at all, and other times none will open—which will peg LaunchCFMA to 100% CPU. It will just sit there and do nothing. I've let it sit for a few minutes and the files still didn't open. But!—this is the big but—if I simply click click anywhere (on the Desktop, in another app, etc.), the file will immediately open as normal.

Here's a video to illustrate better.

You could say, "Well, why not just click twice?" Yeah, it seems minor, but it's bothersome that it's random, and that it pegs one of my CPUs to 100% indefinitely unless I intervene. This is also an issue with creating scripted workflows, too, or batching things. I know it's only been two days, but any ideas, folks?

I'll post this at Apple's support forum, and send them some feedback as well.
( Last edited by MindFad; Nov 9, 2007 at 01:05 PM. )

MindFad  (op)
Posting Junkie
Oct 31, 2007, 02:02 PM

Hmm, nothin' at all?

I've also posted this on Apple's support forum.

UpQuark
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 8, 2007, 12:42 PM

Rosetta is started to support CS. And as a result, the process takes much more time to start.

The stability should still be there. But did you do a upgrade or archive and install?

Thanks,

Neil

MindFad  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 8, 2007, 12:55 PM

I did a full wipe and install, as I do with every major release. It's not that it's starting up, and it doesn't do it only at launch; it does it after CS has been launched, and does it randomly with all PS files. I have let LaunchCFMA hang at 100% for ten minutes. It's obviously not functioning as it should.

Of course, as I mentioned, LaunchCFMA will stop and the file will launch if I simply click the mouse anywhere on the Desktop.

MindFad  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2007, 01:06 PM

To clarify, the process in top is actually LaunchCFMApp. I didn't realize it was just a truncated name at first! In activity monitor, the process simply appears as the app name itself, though.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2007, 01:18 PM

Interesting, the last time I saw LaunchCFMApp was when running a Classic app. What Mac are you on?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

MindFad  (op)
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2007, 01:13 AM

Suppose I should've put that in the original post.

Original 15" Intel Core Duo 2GHz MacBook Pro. Complete wipe and install of Leopard (so fresh and so clean), and brand spankin' new install of Photoshop CS.

Forum Links
Forum Rules