Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > ubuntu compatibility

ubuntu compatibility
Maflynn
Professional Poster
May 7, 2009, 04:05 PM

Not sure if my questions below can be answered, as I'm unsure of how ubuntu users are here at 'NN but here goes.

I'm looking to play around with this OS and had a couple questions
1. Is 9.04 compatible with Bootcamp/VMware? Any issues
2. I've been googling but I haven't found what the differences between version 8 and 9 are.

In general with ubuntu any recommendations, suggestions for general usage and/or sites to gather more information.

Thanks
Mike
~Mike

ghporter
Administrator
May 7, 2009, 04:25 PM

1. ANY Intel-based version of Ubuntu should be bootable through a Boot Camp-produced partition. VMWare supposedly is also flexible enough that any Intel-based OS should work with it.

2. Have you gone to Ubuntu's 9.04 release notes page and compared what's there with their 8.04 release notes?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Maflynn  (op)
Professional Poster
May 7, 2009, 07:36 PM

No, I didn't even see those, I have 9 downloaded and started reviewing stuff I found on vmware. It seems at the moment their tools have issues with ubuntu 9.04.

I'm going to d/l 8.04 tonight and compare them myself but thanks for the link, I'll start looking at it now
~Mike

cgc
Professional Poster
May 7, 2009, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Maflynn View Post
Not sure if my questions below can be answered, as I'm unsure of how ubuntu users are here at 'NN but here goes.

I'm looking to play around with this OS and had a couple questions
1. Is 9.04 compatible with Bootcamp/VMware? Any issues
2. I've been googling but I haven't found what the differences between version 8 and 9 are.

In general with ubuntu any recommendations, suggestions for general usage and/or sites to gather more information.
I tried Ubuntu 9.04 via VMWare but the VMWare tools aren't yet supported 100% so you won't get shared folders and drag & drop between Mac and Ubuntu but Ubuntu works. This thread explains how to get 9.04 working perfectly and I've done some manual methods but in the end I went back to 8.10 until VMWare works this out. All in all, Ubuntu 8 or 9 both kick butt, though I prefer Fedora 10 but don't use it due to it's UAC-like annoyances (that sherrif badge thing that stops VMWare tools from working...I'm too lazy to fix it).

Maflynn  (op)
Professional Poster
May 8, 2009, 07:10 AM

Thanks for the link, I've been comparing the two so far and there's certainly elements in 9.04 that I really like, like built in (or at least supplied) RDP support. I tried getting the gnome-rpd but there's no way (that I know of) to force that on the console port. That limits my ability and to manage my servers at work

VPN in 8.04 required patching (cisco 4.8) but that seemed to work, I wasn't able to get it to install in 9.04 but I ran out of time last night and didn't patch it. Clearly at the moment 8.04 under VMware is a little more seamless. Given the date of when 9.04 was released I'm hoping VMware will be releasing an update shortly.

To be perfectly honest, I can see ubuntu replacing my windows installation. I was planning on getting win7 and using that as my main environment for when I work remotely but it seems I can most of the functionality in ubuntu, better performance, smaller footprint and no worries about dealing with M$, viruses etc.
~Mike

cgc
Professional Poster
May 16, 2009, 05:42 PM

I've managed to get the mouse and shared folders working using these directions.

cgc
Professional Poster
May 16, 2009, 05:45 PM

Now, unless I change the permissions within OS X to allow everyone to read/write my home folder, I can't access them from Ubuntu 9 via VMWare Fusion. I get this error message:

ANy way around leaving a giant hole in my security (e.g. full read/write access to my home folder for everyone)? Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules