Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > External display never sleeps

External display never sleeps
driven
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 4, 2012, 07:55 AM

All, I'm running my ThunderBolt MBP in clam-shell mode. It's hooked up to a very nice external Dell U2410 display.

However, when I walk away from the computer, the display won't go to sleep. The screen blanks, but it stays turned on. This never happened when I had the display hooked up to my Thinkpad. Any thoughts?

Worse: If I manually put the MBP to sleep and I wake it up, it won't re-engage the monitor. I have to unplug the mini-DVI port and re-plug it to get it to re-engage the display again. I'd prefer to not turn off the display as that also disables the internal USB hub and I kill all my external drives.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced his particular issue before? This is a nice display, and I'd like to avoid going to buy Apple's display just to solve this issue.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Sep 17, 2012, 10:15 AM

Try setting a hot corner under System Preferences/Desktop&ScreenSaver to "Put display to sleep." Set displays to mirror, then just go to the hot corner before closing the MBP display.

You should be able to find some variant of that that works for you. Works fine with my 2011 MBP and Viewsonic display.

The MBP display may be dark when you reopen the MBP. If you want the MBP display on just click on "detect displays" in the menu bar.

HTH

-Allen

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 17, 2012, 10:38 AM

Thanks! I'll give this a try when I get back home next weekend.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2012, 08:54 AM

OK, I tried it. Does the same thing. Just blanks the screen, but leaves the display turned on.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Sep 22, 2012, 10:55 AM

Most modern displays go into a dark energy saving mode; if you want more pull the plug.

I generally do not like Dell so do not know about their specific displays' operation.

-Allen

driven  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 22, 2012, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
Most modern displays go into a dark energy saving mode; if you want more pull the plug.
I generally do not like Dell so do not know about their specific displays' operation.
-Allen
It's not that. The monitor stays ON. When I hook it up to my PC, it works as designed. (Lower power mode, etc.) It only stays on when it's connected to the MacBook Pro. It's very odd.
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB

Forum Links
Forum Rules