Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Am I the only one still resisting the cell phone revolution?

Am I the only one still resisting the cell phone revolution? (Page 2)
voyageur
Mac Elite
May 5, 2004, 08:24 AM

It's kinda interesting to hear how many others out there don't have a cell. And here I thought I was the only one

I don't think I'll unless I break down and become fearful of being stuck out on the highway at night without one. I spend plenty of time talking with people already and like my solitude when I can get it.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2004, 08:56 AM

What's the point of resisting?

Oh, and on the T610, get the T630 or wait for the K700 instead.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2004, 09:09 AM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
What's the point of resisting?

Anywhere from $300 - $1000 a year
Annoying people feeling they can call you 24/7
Annoying people that don't feel they need to give you any advanced warning
Just another piece of technology making you lazy

I've been resisting, and it's actually one less thing to worry about.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2004, 09:11 AM

Originally posted by voyageur:
It's kinda interesting to hear how many others out there don't have a cell. And here I thought I was the only one

I don't think I'll unless I break down and become fearful of being stuck out on the highway at night without one. I spend plenty of time talking with people already and like my solitude when I can get it.
This is where that "pay as you go" phone would really work out. I'm thinking of buying one and seeing how I like it. Put a few hundred in to the phone and go from there...

The thing with the programs is it makes you feel like "use it or lose it" so it gets you in to a mindset of "I should really be using my phone" then they rake it in when you go over you minutes.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2004, 09:12 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:

You save money by not having a landline. People want to contact people, not a residence.

There's both off-buttons, caller ID and vibration/no sound to counter "other people".

Oh I can see the part about being lazy when not having to run to the nearest house if you witness a car accident

sixz
May 5, 2004, 09:13 AM

Originally posted by MindFad:
I've gotta say it's getting tough to keep up the fight against the cell phone. I'm afraid this may be the year�The Year Josh Breaks Down And Gets A Cell Phone�.

In 15-20 years time when the cases of 'The great mobile cell disease'
begin to register in hospitals as the number one killer - you'll know
it was the right decision to get connected.

Everyone's doing it - it must be right.

( A little over-kill maybe, but still a high probability of serious cell damage)

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2004, 09:19 AM

Originally posted by sixz:
( A little over-kill maybe, but still a high probability of serious cell damage)
Pseudo-science and hysteria? There's no hard science on that except for the fact that the little radiation you get cause no measurable change in the cells of the brain. Standing in front of a running microwave is a lot more dangerous

http://www.fda.gov/cellphones/qa.html

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2004, 09:26 AM

You save money by not having a landline. People want to contact people, not a residence.

There's both off-buttons, caller ID and vibration/no sound to counter "other people".

Oh I can see the part about being lazy when not having to run to the nearest house if you witness a car accident
While I realize there are situations where a phone would be nice, and I also said I like the idea of Pay as you go, not everyone is ready to get rid of their land line especially if you run a business from home.

Lazy... while I'm not saying everyone is lazy, it can breed the "Oh, it's OK, I'll just call and tell them I'll be late" attitude. Yes, it's nice to know that they are 15 minutes behind, but it still doesn't make it OK to be late. (and this comes from someone that's not always on time)

I'm tired of giving directions to my apartment (because they didn't even bother to know where they are going)

Perhaps it's just me and the people I deal with at work that gives me a negative vibe on the cell phone. I had no intention to bring it in to this thread, but it makes me go bonkers when people don't have the common courtesy to turn off their phones or at least turn them on vibrate.

Middle of a Meeting: Beep beep beep
Middle of a Movie: Beep beep beep

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2004, 09:28 AM

Pseudo-science and hysteria? There's no hard science on that except for the fact that the little radiation you get cause no measurable change in the cells of the brain. Standing in front of a running microwave is a lot more dangerous

http://www.fda.gov/cellphones/qa.html
Ha ha... I wouldn't even use the "cell damage" card...

Then again, I do wear a tin foil hat.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2004, 09:30 AM

I've gotta say it's getting tough to keep up the fight against the cell phone. I'm afraid this may be the year�The Year Josh Breaks Down And Gets A Cell Phone�.
I'm actually looking at the options now... I'm going to buy once I find an inexpensive plan and a great phone that works with OS X.

calamar1
Mac Enthusiast
May 5, 2004, 09:31 AM

Originally posted by voyageur:
indeed; it's good to hear that there's so many others, and it's nice to not be alone in being averse to them. me, i talk on the phone all day at work, so actually i hate telephone conversations entirely, and it works out well that i've no need for them in my free time. unfortunately, now that the devil verizon charges me $27 a month for having a landline with nothing but 8 local (as in ordering a pizza) calls a month, the day fast approaches where a cell phone is cheaper.

the only real situation where i'd felt like i was missing something was in the case of using them as a logistical tool to meet up with people. then i discovered i could check my work voicemail via an 800 number, so now i abuse the hell out of that instead.

sixz
May 5, 2004, 09:36 AM

Pseudo-science and hysteria? There's no hard science on that except for the fact that the little radiation you get cause no measurable change in the cells of the brain. Standing in front of a running microwave is a lot more dangerous ;)

There's no hard science that the US's continued
drive for energy will cause a global climatic catastrophe.

Considering how much revenue mobile technology
makes - I can see how almost nothing could stand in
it's way.

Got to go, my micro meal is ready.

starman
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2004, 09:59 AM

Here are my issues with cell phones.

First, they're a great asset when you have a problem. My alternator died on the very day we had one of the worst snowstorms in NJ. I was able to call my sister-in-law who takes the same way home to circle back and pick me up. Good thing, too since my engine stopped and it was getting friggin' cold. I also phoned AAA and had the car picked up.

Second - this is my favorite:

Mike?
Yeah?
We're out drinking. Coming? Hello?
(sounds of tires screeching in the driveway)

Third, people can get you anytime, anywhere. This is good and BAD. There are times when I just don't want to talk to certain people, and once they know you have a cell, they feel like you're obligated to talk to them. I hate that. Leave a message and be done with it. Then there are times when you WANT to be found (see above).

Fourth, the bluetooth phones kick ass. If you're going to get a phone, get one that syncs with your computer.

Last, the camera in the phone was a nice addition. I do see how people think it's overkill, but I've been taking pictures since I was in single digits so I like having it. Click on my moblog below to check out the pictures I take with it.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

dreilly1
Mac Elite
May 5, 2004, 10:12 AM

I have a cell phone, and generally find it useful, although I keep it on vibrate mode permanently because I can't stand it when a phone rings in the middle of something important. Also because all the ringers nowadays are stupid songs and my phone has precisely one ring that actually sounds like a phone, and it's horrible.And I don't know why they pack so many useless featrures into phones. I don't even have numbers programmed into my phone, and I could care less if I can play games on it.

I find it most useful when I've been out to lunch a bit too long and call my co-workers to make sure I won't be missed at afternoon meetings...

Lately, though, I've been getting all sorts of wrong numbers, generally guys asking for a girl. The girl's name is different every week. I think one of my buddies is scrawling my number on mens' room walls as a prank, or maybe one of my female friends is giving my number to guys she meets but doesn't like. Now I don't answer the phone if I don't recognize the Caller ID number (not even then, sometimes), and my voice-mail message says something to the effect of:

This is my phone. This phone does not belong to anyone else. If a woman gave you this number... ummm... I hate to be the one to break this to you, but she doesn't want to talk to you and gave you a fake phone number to get rid of you, which happens to be mine. Get over it...

Beewee
Mac Elite
May 5, 2004, 10:14 AM

Anyone else still resisting? Or, at least, finding it hard to resist? Anyone else totally enamored with the T610? Anyone ashamed of it?
Had a cell phone for a while, one of those prepaid suckers. I used it for a while but it became a hassle bringing the damn thing everywhere I went. I already have to remember my wallet, ipod and earbuds, plus I discovered that it really isn't so bad not being a slave to modern technology. Answering the phone at home is a big enough pain in the ***. Most of the calls are worthless anyway, and when I let the machine pick it up nobody leaves a ing message! I really don't need to deal with that while I'm driving or in class.

benb
May 5, 2004, 10:32 AM

Hmm. Seems, according to their agreement, T-Mobile *may* ask for a deposit, and I have the option to cancel within 7 days. Damn, sucks having no credit, and I don't really want to have to pay some insane deposit. I'm pretty certain they'll ask for it, too. We'll see how it goes, I guess, when phone time comes around.
Try going through Amazon. I think the T610 was $50 last time I checked, after rebates. I know when I did that they didn't ask for a deposit.

benb
May 5, 2004, 10:36 AM

In 15-20 years time when the cases of 'The great mobile cell disease'
begin to register in hospitals as the number one killer - you'll know
it was the right decision to get connected.

Everyone's doing it - it must be right.

AND ITS NOT THAT MUCH DIFFERENT THAN AN MRI!!!!!!

Person Man
Professional Poster
May 5, 2004, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by Ozmodiar:
Perhaps the best aspect of only having a cell phone is that I never get calls from telemarketers.
That's just because the telemarketers don't have your cell phone number in their lists yet. They don't make any distinction. Especially now that you can tie your old "landline" number to your new cell phone thanks to the number portability rules.

I have a real problem with telemarketers calling cell phones because YOU'RE the one paying for the call, regardless. So, when the national do-not-call list came out, I registered both my landline phone AND my cell phone.

Person Man
Professional Poster
May 5, 2004, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by vmpaul:
You know, I looked into those because I was thinking of getting my mother a phone. It would just be for emergencies if she ever needed it.
You know that any cell phone, regardless of whether you have any service on it or whether it's been locked out by any given company, can be used to dial 911 in an emergency situation. That's what part of those "extra fees" goes to pay for.

Granted, you can't call anybody else, but if you really wanted to limit yourself to "just emergencies" and not pay a dime for service, you could go that route.

Many local police departments will take old, deactivated phones and give them to rape survivors, etc. just for that purpose.

Person Man
Professional Poster
May 5, 2004, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by mitchell_pgh:

I resisted for the longest time, until I had to have one for my job. As a doctor, I get pages to the hospital all the time. Do you know how annoying it gets when you're out on the road by yourself and you get a page, and then have to go and hunt for a phone you can use? I used to get lots of funny stares from people in restaurants, gas stations, businesses, etc when I would have to go and ask (beg) the use of their phone to make a local call to the hospital. Granted, it doesn't happen very much, as I'm still in residency, but once I'm out on my own I'll REALLY need it then.

As far as the annoying people thing goes... that's what the OFF button on the cell phone is for I keep my phone OFF most of the time. If I want to be found, then I turn it on, and only when I want to be found. I have yet to run across people who are indignant when they call my cell phone and have to leave a message on the voice mail. Plus, I don't get any wrong numbers that way. I've found that if I leave my phone on all day, I get about 8-10 wrong number calls... answering them uses up a minute.

Piece of technology making me lazy? If you were one of my patients in the hospital and something happened to you (and I'm not out of town to another doctor)... you'd better be happy that I can answer a page as soon as I get it, and not 10-15 minutes later because I was hunting for a phone. (and I know plenty of doctors who routinely ignore their pages for long periods of time)

Besides, you'll never see me use the cell phone without a hands-free device when I'm driving, and even then 95% of the time I pull over to the side of the road to talk. I also excuse myself from restaurants, movie theatres, etc. to answer pages and NEVER have my phone on in that situation. I can't tell you how MAD it makes me when I'm in the office seeing patients and their cell phone rings... and then THEY ANSWER IT AND EXPECT ME TO WAIT 10 MINUTES WHILE THEY TALK ABOUT THEIR FREAKING DOG! Granted, most people just answer their phones long enough to say "I'm at the doctors; I'll call you back later," but THEY SHOULD HAVE TURNED IT *OFF* IN THE FIRST PLACE *BEFORE* ENTERING MY OFFICE.

Ok. Rant done.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
May 5, 2004, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by Person Man:
I can't tell you how MAD it makes me when I'm in the office seeing patients and their cell phone rings... and then THEY ANSWER IT AND EXPECT ME TO WAIT 10 MINUTES WHILE THEY TALK ABOUT THEIR FREAKING DOG! Granted, most people just answer their phones long enough to say "I'm at the doctors; I'll call you back later," but THEY SHOULD HAVE TURNED IT *OFF* IN THE FIRST PLACE *BEFORE* ENTERING MY OFFICE.
Wow... That is rude. Could you get away with charging them extra for the time they made you waste waiting for their conversation to end, which you could have used to see other patients? I'd love to hear them explain that one to their insurance company...

I find it very annoying that some people feel that the call coming in on the cell phone is more important than the face-to-face conversation they are having. There are, in reality, very few circumstances where that is the case. Although I'll admit that I've answered wrong-number cell phone calls several times as an excuse to get out of a particularly boring meeting. (Can you tell I hate meetings?)

starman
Clinically Insane
May 5, 2004, 12:12 PM

This isn't a cell issue alone, but I hate it when you say "I gotta go" and the person on the other end says "Oh, let me tell you about...".

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2004, 12:32 PM

i mean look folks.

having a celphone is good. just because the number one thing you hear when people pick up their phones is "where you at?!!?", dont let that get in the way of your celphone-ness.

i pretty much never pick up my phone. if it rings and i dont recognize the number, or the persons name isnt entered into my address book i dont pick it up. if i do recognize the number but dont feel like talking to them (95% of the time), i let them leave a voicemail. if its important, they will. hell. i go days without making or receiving a call. but its good to know its there.

my ringer is always off. ESPECIALLY in meetings or movies. assuming i did use a ringer, it would be some basic ringtone, not a 50cent song.

i dont really see the appeal of these fancy cellphones with videocameras and all that, but i DO want a treo 600. im not going to spend 6 bills on it, but down the road somewhere they will come down in price. ive carried a palm for 6+ years now, and celphone for a year or so. it would be good to just carry the one device.

Ozmodiar
Mac Elite
May 5, 2004, 12:41 PM

That's just because the telemarketers don't have your cell phone number in their lists yet. They don't make any distinction. Especially now that you can tie your old "landline" number to your new cell phone thanks to the number portability rules.

I have a real problem with telemarketers calling cell phones because YOU'RE the one paying for the call, regardless. So, when the national do-not-call list came out, I registered both my landline phone AND my cell phone.
Really? I was under the impression that they can't call cell phones based on something enforced by the various cell phone companies. All I know is the day I get a telemarketer calling my cell, someone at that company is getting fired.

MindFad  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2004, 01:09 PM

Originally posted by benb:
Try going through Amazon. I think the T610 was $50 last time I checked, after rebates. I know when I did that they didn't ask for a deposit.
Awesome. I didn't even know you could do that through Amazon. Thanks.

But how was your credit at the time?

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2004, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by Link:
Sure! T-Mobile in the US supports any GSM phone.

OTOH, some GSM companies (at&t for example - and cingular I think) only support GSM850.. so as long as you're in the US I'd suggest a GSM850 phone. The T610 supports it, the well-awaited Z600 does not, yet, at least). Then again some people just don't need that at all.

The process is simple. All you have to do is take the SIM card the phone company gives you and slide it into the new phone. Generally this slot would be under the battery

As for what chris v said... I never could figure out the point of using a cell phone at a PARTY.
No Cingular and now AT&T Wireless support both GSM 850 and GSM 1900 I believe it is. Most of the new phones though that are not world phones are supporting GSM 850 only.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
May 5, 2004, 01:48 PM

You can buy the phone itself anywhere, but you still need service. I imagine it's your cellular service provider complaining about your credit. But I imagine that they'll complain less if you own the phone already, and just need the service. Also, by owning the phone already you might be able to get service without signing a long contract, since your'e not getting the phone as part of the promotion.

voyageur
Mac Elite
May 5, 2004, 01:48 PM

... but THEY SHOULD HAVE TURNED IT *OFF* IN THE FIRST PLACE *BEFORE* ENTERING MY OFFICE.
I always wondered why my doctor's waiting room had the "Turn off Cell Phones" sign. Now I know. I wouldn't have believed people would use a cell phone while in the examining room.

insha
Senior User
May 5, 2004, 03:46 PM

I've been researching the past few months, talking with friends�who have almost every service there is�reading up on phone online, and so on, and I've come down to T-Mobile, since they don't want deposits from us poor souls without credit.

And after reading up on the Sony Ericsson T610, I'm totally sold on it. I really like the design of the phone. And it's got BlueTooth�*and* I can theme it! I'm such a consumer whore.

I don't particularly like the idea of being in constant contact with everyone I know, but I don't have to always pick it up. And it would be nice to be able to be in contact with friends anywhere; it'll be easy on plan-making. And I miss so many calls in my house as it is�folks are call waiting inept 'round these parts�I think it's time I caved.

Sounds like I've convinced myself on the Internet.

This year will probably be ... The Year�.

Anyone else still resisting? Or, at least, finding it hard to resist? Anyone else totally enamored with the T610? Anyone ashamed of it?
I have T610 with T-Mobile (I'm in NYC) -- I absolutely love it and that BlueTooth�; which works transparently with my TiBook. The signal strength around my house is not that good; but I don't mind as it frees me up from taking calls when I'm home or just want to relax.

benb
May 5, 2004, 03:50 PM

New. I probably had 3 months or so of credit history. I made all 3 payments on time though.

Link
Professional Poster
May 5, 2004, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by scaught:
my ringer is always off. ESPECIALLY in meetings or movies. assuming i did use a ringer, it would be some basic ringtone, not a 50cent song.
I love those stupid things. This means it's so much less likely everyone's going to have the same damn ringtone.

It's a beautiful thing.
Aloha

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2004, 04:18 PM

i just got this new cell phone, damn its sweet!

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Chemmy
Mac Enthusiast
May 5, 2004, 04:31 PM

Why? The T630 has a different screen that's supposedly better in sunlight, and that's it. I have no problem reading my T610 outside, and they're cheaper than dirt right now.

I can also browse the internet on my PowerBook over my unlimited T-Zones internet thanks to Bluetooth.

I love people that won't use cell phones for this reason. Most every modern cell phone transmits its data over a digital radio network. Guess what that means: cell phone user or not, your brain is in the middle of a sea of radio waves all day every day.

Worrying that radio waves might give you brain cancer seems a bit silly, given how long the radio has been around, but choosing not to use a device because it communicates using radio waves is even sillier.

1.25ghz 15" PowerBook

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
May 5, 2004, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by Chemmy:
I love people that won't use cell phones for this reason. Most every modern cell phone transmits its data over a digital radio network. Guess what that means: cell phone user or not, your brain is in the middle of a sea of radio waves all day every day.

Worrying that radio waves might give you brain cancer seems a bit silly, given how long the radio has been around, but choosing not to use a device because it communicates using radio waves is even sillier.
How about the people who protest against cell masts, but themselves own and frequently use a mobile phone. Hay if you have one you gotta have the other. The best way to stop them building more masts is for less people to have phones. If the school is full of 100's kids txt'ing and yaking to each other every break time (and during class), where do you think they are going to need to stick a new mast? Hypocritical dumasses, don't you just love em!

Person Man
Professional Poster
May 5, 2004, 05:22 PM

Originally posted by dreilly1:
Wow... That is rude. Could you get away with charging them extra for the time they made you waste waiting for their conversation to end, which you could have used to see other patients? I'd love to hear them explain that one to their insurance company...
I'd love to do something like that. I can't do that now because I'm still in residency (and the billing, etc is out of my control).

But I've only had it happen to me once (Most of the patients I see in the residency clinic are there because they have no money and so come to the "free" clinic). I've seen it happen to other doctors in their offices while on rotation there, though.

Mac Write
Mac Elite

I have a plan $30/month Unlimited 24/7 calling in my City area (which is huge). it's great. I just got a new phone in Feb, but am upgrading to a V400 since it has a headset jack (the primary reason for upgrading) and also dual battery charger (my 6190 had this, but the headset connecter is not universal). 2.5mm headset connecter baby!

I I got the Siemens M55 in Feb. I like my LD plan 850LD US and Canada $17/month. or 7�/min without a plan and all calls are billed by The Second! including LD!!! and this is with no contract!
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

Link
Professional Poster

The only variety of cell signal that makes me SLIGHTLY concerned is the 3G one, which had reports of causing dizziness and whatnot
Aloha

Person Man
Professional Poster
May 5, 2004, 05:28 PM

Originally posted by Ozmodiar:
Really? I was under the impression that they can't call cell phones based on something enforced by the various cell phone companies. All I know is the day I get a telemarketer calling my cell, someone at that company is getting fired.
Now that you can switch your landline phone number to cell phone service, how would the telemarketing companies know? I don't think you could just "flip a switch" and they know they can't call your number anymore because it's no longer landline service.

Ok... I just went to the National Do Not Call List homepage, and it says: "You can register your home or mobile phone for free," so I imagine that cell phone numbers not on the list are fair game for telemarketers. It's probably not become much of an issue as many people haven't given their cell phone numbers to businesses yet and most cell phone numbers aren't listed in phone books.

OH-N'omac
May 5, 2004, 06:02 PM

I get the feeling your credit is causing you some worry. If that's the case, you're better off going without the cellphone and taking care of credit first unless you know you're going to be able to make significant money by being available 24-7. Interest rates are still low, consolidate your debt and put that monthly cellphone money toward fixing your credit instead.

Link
Professional Poster
May 5, 2004, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by OH-N'omac:
I get the feeling your credit is causing you some worry. If that's the case, you're better off going without the cellphone and taking care of credit first unless you know you're going to be able to make significant money by being available 24-7. Interest rates are still low, consolidate your debt and put that monthly cellphone money toward fixing your credit instead.
If I remember correctly, it wasn't that he had bad credit.. he had NO credit.
Aloha

MindFad  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2004, 06:16 PM

Yeah, my credit's not bad. I just have none. We'll see, though. The cell phone thing wouldn't be until later this year. Thanks for the help, guys!

Chemmy
Mac Enthusiast
May 5, 2004, 07:05 PM

Originally posted by Link:
The only variety of cell signal that makes me SLIGHTLY concerned is the 3G one, which had reports of causing dizziness and whatnot

1.25ghz 15" PowerBook

MallyMal
Grizzled Veteran
May 5, 2004, 08:06 PM

Yeah, I hate cell phones too because it seems that people are addicted to them. I see girls walking down the street on beautiful sunny days but they have the cell stuck to their ear.

I think one day providers will just implant the phone into the person instead.

As for me, I got my first cell late last year. I had to get it for business purposes and that is still the only reason I have it.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2004, 08:20 PM

Yeah, my credit's not bad. I just have none. We'll see, though. The cell phone thing wouldn't be until later this year. Thanks for the help, guys!
You can build some. Just get a gas card or a card that will give you a low credit limit and just use it for gas and things like that. if you use it wisely then it will be fine. Then when you sign up for a phone your credit will/should be considered good and you might not need to put anything down.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2004, 08:30 PM

I don't know about your area, but my university has an associated credit union that will give a credit card to just about anyone as long as you're eligible to be a member (they have good rates, too). I got one last year and have been building my credit since.

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
May 5, 2004, 09:10 PM

Am I the only one still resisting the cell phone revolution?
Cell phones suck... who wants to be called anywhere, anytime.

No thanks

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2004, 09:17 PM

Now that you can switch your landline phone number to cell phone service, how would the telemarketing companies know? I don't think you could just "flip a switch" and they know they can't call your number anymore because it's no longer landline service.

Ok... I just went to the National Do Not Call List homepage, and it says: "You can register your home or mobile phone for free," so I imagine that cell phone numbers not on the list are fair game for telemarketers. It's probably not become much of an issue as many people haven't given their cell phone numbers to businesses yet and most cell phone numbers aren't listed in phone books.
Thanks for the National Do Not Call List link. I get like 20 telemarketing phone calls a day.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2004, 09:18 PM

Originally posted by Dale Sorel:
Cell phones suck... who wants to be called anywhere, anytime.

No thanks
Turn it off when you don't want to answer it?
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Mac Write
Mac Elite
May 5, 2004, 09:23 PM

Forgot to mention when/if I upgrade to the V400 I am putting a nice MP3 ringtone on it, that I created. a 4 note beat that is unique to me simple and I can tell it's my phone.
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

benb
May 5, 2004, 09:54 PM

Truly, a mobile phone plan is not that big a risk for a provider. So you don't pay, they are out $80 if you stay within you minute limits. Maybe $200 if you gab a lot. Considering the actual cost of the calls, its not too big a risk. The biggest risk is in them giving you a nice phone cheap or free, then you not paying and they lose out the money on the phone. In addition, they realize that there are people like you with no credit history that can afford a monthly phone bill.

I'd be willing to bet that if you go through Amazon, you pay no money down.

Forum Links
Forum Rules