Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Am I the only one still resisting the cell phone revolution?

Am I the only one still resisting the cell phone revolution? (Page 3)
MindFad  (op)
Posting Junkie
May 5, 2004, 11:33 PM

Originally posted by benb:
I'd be willing to bet that if you go through Amazon, you pay no money down.
I'm pretty set on going this route.

Applefreak01
Senior User
May 5, 2004, 11:33 PM

I'm not fighting it so it will become more common and I'll finally get some more options besides caller id and text messages where I live.
( Last edited by Applefreak01; May 5, 2004 at 11:41 PM. )
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
May 6, 2004, 01:02 AM

Originally posted by Dale Sorel:
Cell phones suck... who wants to be called anywhere, anytime.
People with lives who don't spend every night at home in front of their TV.

1) My long distance bill has disappeared since I got a cell phone. Free nights and weekends are your friend when many of the people you talk to are spread across the country.

2) I can't imagine trying to coordinate a meet up with different groups of people on your average weekend evening without a cell phone. In a major city where people could be having drinks in any number of areas its hard to try and get a concrete plan on where and when to meet others. Since cell phones have become common place its easy to change plans as the night progresses so one person or group doesn't get stuck at a lame bar waiting for the people who were supposed to be there 15 minutes ago.

3) Happy hour. I can't even count the number of times I have gotten a call after an afternoon class or work to go have drinks with someone just because they had the urge to go out.

4) Giving a home number to someone you just met means they can find out where you live. I am a big fan of meeting girls when i am out. I am not a fan of them knowing how to find me and stopping by unannounced because they live a few blocks away. Cell phones are an excellent method of communication that still puts a little distance between you and a random before you can check them out to see if they are worth getting to know.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
May 6, 2004, 02:54 PM

A friend of mine's grandmother was absolutely against having a microwave (a lot of the parent-generation is still afraid of it's "evil rays"), my grandmother however remember her parents being so against the electrical stove so she just chuckled and kept up with current technology.

Moral is: You're not old until you stop keeping up with technology.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2004, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
A friend of mine's grandmother was absolutely against having a microwave (a lot of the parent-generation is still afraid of it's "evil rays"), my grandmother however remember her parents being so against the electrical stove so she just chuckled and kept up with current technology.

Moral is: You're not old until you stop keeping up with technology.
oh, ok.

i dont have a cell, and oddly enough i could really use one for what i do to make money on the side here at uni- pizza delivery boy.

i just dont want one. i usually roll about 5 deep and there is always someone there to do the calling. i really never find the need to use one.

my gf has one, but i refuse to call (and pay $1 with my long dist plan) a brooklyn number every time i want to talk to her. good thing she has unlimited text messaging.

one more note about cell phones and the delivery business- for some reason, people seem to forget that calling a cell with a landline is still a long distance call. its damn annoying, especially since the majority of businesses have land lines and no long distance service. be considerate people.

MindFad  (op)
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2004, 06:24 PM

I found out my credit is mild enough where I don't have to put a down payment. Yay. Now where did I leave my steady income?

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Jul 28, 2004, 06:35 PM

Originally posted by MindFad:
I found out my credit is mild enough where I don't have to put a down payment. Yay. Now where did I leave my steady income?
check the fridge... in max's house
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2004, 06:42 PM

man, i sure killed this thread the last time around, didn't i?

Mrs. D4n.
Jul 28, 2004, 10:38 PM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
man, i sure killed this thread the last time around, didn't i?
Probably...but holy **** am I speechless that you didn't start it!!! You're not alone, hun.

wang_himself
Senior User
Jul 28, 2004, 11:44 PM

Cell phones are ok, the people who use them are evil. I hate it when I am talking with someone, then ring goes the phone, and I am told to hang on. Can't people let their voice mail pick-up the frealing call. People become very rude when they have cell phones. Also cell phone users need to learn about the idea of hands free in the car and learn to ****ing drive again. You assholes know who you are. Please get a head set and speed the hell back up to the rest of the flow f traffic and watch the freaking road.
/hi

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2004, 09:13 AM

I don't want to carry anything else with me.
I don't want to have another monthly bill.
I don't want to be contacted at any time.
I don't want to get rid of my home line because I can have as many phones as I want in the house. If I walk to another room and the cell phone rings, I have to stop whatever I'm doing and go back to it.

memento
Mac Elite
Jul 29, 2004, 10:46 PM

Originally posted by Gankdawg:
I don't want to get rid of my home line...
bingo. I'm not getting old because I don't want a cell phone. It's not about keeping up with technology, it's about not wanting to be bothered with all that.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 30, 2004, 12:23 AM

I don't want to get rid of my home line because I can have as many phones as I want in the house. If I walk to another room and the cell phone rings, I have to stop whatever I'm doing and go back to it.
++

Thank you.

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2004, 01:55 AM

[hangs head in shame]
I succumbed (finally) last year when I was traveling quite a bit and really thought I could use the ability to call LD from anywhere to anywhere, anytime.

You don't have to. I only carry it on my person if I specifically know that I need to be reached or will be calling out. Otherwise, it stays in the console of my vehicle (if I'm at work or out for the evening) or the my dresser (if I'm at home)

This was the biggest turn off for me, so I started with a prepay phone .. add money/minutes whenever you think you'll need the phone. But darnit, Cingular here was actually formerly Bellsouth Mobility DCS -- so I had the legacy ability to have my Cingular charges billed with my regular landline and DSL bill. So, no separate bill for me (just a bigger one)

Turn that f#cker off an don't carry it around with you. I've been very explicit with my friends and family that I got this phone so I could call out when I needed or wanted to. I use it more like a portable answering machine than a mobile phone.

Then don't ..keep your landline. I have (because my DSL runs thru it as well). Depending on how much your LD charges are each month, it won't really cost you that much more. My cell plan is 29.99/mo. I figure I save about $15-$20/mo from long distance calls that I make from my cell rather than from my home phone. So .. I'm really paying $10-$15 for mobility. Also, most plans allow call forwarding .. just set it to your home number and turn the thing off once you walk in your door.

Honestly, I hate the cell-phone-while-in-line-at-the-supermarket-crowd. But it has truly come in handy for me a number of times:
When I locked myself outta my car and had to call AAA.
When my friend did the same (and I used my AAA for him)
Anytime I might have needed a pay phone
When I'm traveling anywhere ... beats the heck outta calling-card-from-payphone nonsense.
When I'm not near a computer and need email (my text messaging can send to and from regular email clients -- only pager length messages though, I didn't bother with a full blown email/mobile internet package). I've actually used this QUITE a bit more than I anticipated.
As Cpt O said ... when you're out, having a cell makes it much easier to coordinate with people spread far and wide on a Friday night. Some last minute movies have been made and some"meet up with you later"s have actually panned out because of the phone.
Any extended LD calling you wanna make on an evening or weekend. Can save $$$ if you call long distance any significant amount.

Having said all that ... one certainly doesn't need a cell phone but for better or worse, I found it to be a useful convenience in a LOT more circumstances than I thought it would. Just don't get a holster and carry the thing around with you like you would your wallet ... THAT'S when it becomes an boat anchor.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 30, 2004, 03:04 AM

These are really self contradicting. If you got rid of your landline you would not have another monthly bill, you would just replace it with a cell phone bill. You would not need to have many (each expensive) phones, just the one you are carrying around with you. Cell phones are small enough today to be kept unobtrusively in your pocket and unlike the phones in your home they can easily be turned of so you actually have MORE control over when you can be contacted, not less.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2004, 08:23 AM

I guess I'm one of the few on here who can't do without a cel phone.
For me, a cel phone allows me to actually have some freedom and a personal life.
I don't know what I'd do without one. I pretty much have it on me 24/7.

Sealobo
Jul 30, 2004, 08:32 AM

Many years ago, there was a "cellphone" which wouldn't handle incoming calls, but you could dial out. It would show text messages left by the callers, through a paging service. You can then decide if you wanna call back.

After a while that thing got obsoleted. But it was a cool stuff back then, it's among the first generations of affordable/digital/portable communication device.

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2004, 08:33 AM

I am going to have this printed on a card so I can hand it to people who ask me why I don't have a cell phone.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2004, 09:15 AM

Originally posted by - - e r i k - -:
These are really self contradicting. If you got rid of your landline you would not have another monthly bill, you would just replace it with a cell phone bill.
True. But no matter what cell phone provider I've compared, the net will be more money out of my pocket. And I have no desire to get rid of my landline. And if my wife and I want to talk to parents, friends, etc. at the same time, just pickup another extension in the house. With a cell phone, you could do a 3-way call but then you are eating up twice as many minutes.

You would not need to have many (each expensive) phones, just the one you are carrying around with you.
I already have those phones.....and have you seen the price of phones nowadays? Very inexpensive.

Cell phones are small enough today to be kept unobtrusively in your pocket and unlike the phones in your home they can easily be turned of so you actually have MORE control over when you can be contacted, not less.
When I lounge around the house, I don't have anything in my pockets nor do I want anything.

Yes, I could turn off the phone for control......but I can also screen my calls via my answering machine too....which I do.

I think the bottom line for me is the bottom line. Doesn't make sense financially to have a cell phone at this time.
( Last edited by Gankdawg; Jul 30, 2004 at 11:29 AM. )

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2004, 10:55 AM

I can't imagine not having a cell phone really. I've had one since I was 12 (I'm 18 now). And the people that say "I have a landline, I don't need no cell": Are you ALWAYS at home ?? You must have really exciting lives . Cell phones can even save your life . Saying that you don't want to be called anytime, anyware is reaaallly stupid. Just turn of the damn phone or don't answer it. And really are you afraid of the people that are calling you or something ? Don't you dare to answer ? And for the monthly bill thing, just get a pre-paid card, as pointed out before.

I have yet to read a valid reason to NOT get a cell phone. The advantages really outweigh the disadvantages.
If you just say "I don't want one" ok fine but don't make up really weird reasons you don't want one.

Captain Obvious:
2) I can't imagine trying to coordinate a meet up with different groups of people on your average weekend evening without a cell phone. In a major city where people could be having drinks in any number of areas its hard to try and get a concrete plan on where and when to meet others. Since cell phones have become common place its easy to change plans as the night progresses so one person or group doesn't get stuck at a lame bar waiting for the people who were supposed to be there 15 minutes ago.
This is indeed very correct.

Gankdawg:
1.what else do you have in your pockets besides a wallet and keys ? Phones are really small these days, you don't feel the damn things.
2.You don't have to, as pointed out.
4.Getting a cellphone does not imply that you need to get rid of your landline. In our household we all have cellphones but we also have a landline. (even 2 of them)
And with most cellphone numbers you can choose to redirect incoming calls from your cell to your landline.

Gankdawg
Professional Poster
Jul 30, 2004, 11:29 AM

Originally posted by Powaqqatsi:
I can't imagine not having a cell phone really. I've had one since I was 12 (I'm 18 now). And the people that say "I have a landline, I don't need no cell": Are you ALWAYS at home ?? You must have really exciting lives . Cell phones can even save your life . Saying that you don't want to be called anytime, anyware is reaaallly stupid. Just turn of the damn phone or don't answer it. And really are you afraid of the people that are calling you or something ? Don't you dare to answer ? And for the monthly bill thing, just get a pre-paid card, as pointed out before.

I have yet to read a valid reason to NOT get a cell phone. The advantages really outweigh the disadvantages.
If you just say "I don't want one" ok fine but don't make up really weird reasons you don't want one.

This is indeed very correct.

1.what else do you have in your pockets besides a wallet and keys ? Phones are really small these days, you don't feel the damn things.
2.You don't have to, as pointed out.
4.Getting a cellphone does not imply that you need to get rid of your landline. In our household we all have cellphones but we also have a landline. (even 2 of them)
And with most cellphone numbers you can choose to redirect incoming calls from your cell to your landline.
What don't you understand? I said that the bottom line for me is that I can't afford one, prepaid or not. With a prepaid card, you still have a monthly bill--maybe not every month, but another bill (read: outgoing cash) nonetheless.

And what else do I have in my pockets besideds my wallet and keys? Nothing. Again, I think my statement was very clear-I don't want to carry anything else, no matter how small the phone may be.

I never implied that I would have to get rid of my landline to get a cell phone. I just don't have the need for a cell phone. Convenient if you run out of gas? Sure. But it's pretty easy to watch your gas guage. Locking your keys in your car? For me, it's not a problem. Haven't done that in 15 years. The last car I locked my keys in was one I could break into very easily with a coat hanger so it didn't really matter.

To the point of not being able to be reached: If your friends and family know you have a cell phone and they call and can't get ahold of you, it's frustrating to them. They're thinking, "where is he? He's got a cell phone. Why doesn't he answer?"

I don't live in a big city and don't have to coordinate my weekends with dozens of people for drinks so that point for me is a non-issue.

Afraid of someone calling me? Don't be silly. I understand I can just turn off the phone or not answer it. How about this: At work, when I'm in the field, I have a company cell phone. If it rings, it means I've got another work assignment. After a while, you get pretty tired of the phone ringing. When I'm off work, cell phone stays at work and when I get into my personal car, it's just peace and quiet.

Everybody views cell phones differently. I don't dislike them; in fact, I think they are a very useful tool. But my stance hasn't changed:

A couple of people have agreed with me so I'm not alone in this.

It's personal preference people, not a way of life.

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2004, 12:45 PM

What don't you understand? I said that the bottom line for me is that I can't afford one, prepaid or not. With a prepaid card, you still have a monthly bill--maybe not every month, but another bill (read: outgoing cash) nonetheless.

And what else do I have in my pockets besideds my wallet and keys? Nothing. Again, I think my statement was very clear-I don't want to carry anything else, no matter how small the phone may be.

I never implied that I would have to get rid of my landline to get a cell phone. I just don't have the need for a cell phone. Convenient if you run out of gas? Sure. But it's pretty easy to watch your gas guage. Locking your keys in your car? For me, it's not a problem. Haven't done that in 15 years. The last car I locked my keys in was one I could break into very easily with a coat hanger so it didn't really matter.

To the point of not being able to be reached: If your friends and family know you have a cell phone and they call and can't get ahold of you, it's frustrating to them. They're thinking, "where is he? He's got a cell phone. Why doesn't he answer?"

I don't live in a big city and don't have to coordinate my weekends with dozens of people for drinks so that point for me is a non-issue.

Afraid of someone calling me? Don't be silly. I understand I can just turn off the phone or not answer it. How about this: At work, when I'm in the field, I have a company cell phone. If it rings, it means I've got another work assignment. After a while, you get pretty tired of the phone ringing. When I'm off work, cell phone stays at work and when I get into my personal car, it's just peace and quiet.

Everybody views cell phones differently. I don't dislike them; in fact, I think they are a very useful tool. But my stance hasn't changed:

A couple of people have agreed with me so I'm not alone in this.

It's personal preference people, not a way of life.
If you can't afford them then yeah, I completely agree.

For the record: this was not a personal attack to you.

memento
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2004, 02:50 PM

It's more than just being able to afford it. Heck, I could afford a VW Toureg TDI but think that spending $60k is too much for any car. Cell phones are useful to some, but not at all to me. If my employer wants me to be on call 24/7 then they have to pony up the dough. Otherwise, I want my time to be my time. For me it's more a matter of necessity and privacy. I don't want people to have access to me anytime they want. When I'm not in the house, then I'm doing stuff and don't want to be bothered.

And besides, anyone who I do talk to on a cell phone sounds like crap. They're always breaking up or their voice is distorted. That bugs me. Then they pass through a dead zone and it hangs up. Or they're in an airport and we can't hear each other because of the ambient noise.
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Jul 30, 2004, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by dampeoples:
I was given one by the company I used to work for, it came in handy to call home. It was definately not handy to find out about jobs when you were almost home from the last one

I have thought about getting a pager because I go fishing/hiking a fair amount, but what good is it to just know you're wanted. I'll probably just remain incognito.
Wow, how things change
I ended up getting a prepaid deal for use whiel at my new job, I don't anticipate the usage being great, so it should all be good.

MindFad  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 28, 2004, 11:08 PM

Welcome to End Times�.

I got a V600.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Dec 28, 2004, 11:58 PM

Anyone else totally enamored with the T610? Anyone ashamed of it?
i have a T637, which is basically a T630, which is basically a T610 with a brighter screen and slightly different plastics. having come from a Nokia Series 60 Symbian phone (nokia 3650) i am not totally enthralled with the T637. if you have a choice get a series 60 phone such as the Nokia 6600.

also, it probably has been mentioned elsewhere, but amazon.com has great deals on phones + service, often coming out to a net gain for you, at least on the phone end of the deal . for example, if rebatestatus.com ever gets its act together i'll have made $50 on my T637 purchase. not too bad a deal eh? (they claim that the rebate check was mailed on dec 20. we shall see if they're full of it.)

read my more complete thoughts here: http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...37#post2321881

edit: updates after looking at post above. so i'm too late. oh well.

TheMosco
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2004, 12:00 AM

[img]http://mindfad.com/boards/whathaveidone.jpg[/im g]

Welcome to End Times�.

I got a V600.
Have you seen the new V635? I want to replace my V600 with it.
AXP
ΔΣΦ

Krusty
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2004, 12:01 AM

Welcome to End Times�.
I got a V600.
ooooh ... can I be the first to message you on your new phone .... you do have messaging, right

[edit]
oh, and I almost forgot to mention, 'fad: the latest thing all of the cool kids are doing is setting their phones to vibrate, sticking them in their rear-ends and getting called again, and again .... and again.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2004, 01:01 AM

Still don't understand why anyone would resist getting one. I wanted one from the first minute I saw one of those huge white square ones back in '91 and I got one the first month I had a real job and could afford it! Disconnected my landline the next day and never looked back. I don't talk on it all day or anything but it sure is nice to always be in touch if I want to be. What is there to 'resist'. Some people are so proud of the silliest things. Like people that say 'I don't watch TV', or "I don't eat meat", or "I don't even want a cellphone", as if they are Mother Theresa or something. Silly.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2004, 01:08 AM

I don't have one. I won't be getting one because I like to be unavailable sometimes, but I admit it would be useful to have one.

Still, it's an expense I don't need, and I don't really miss not having one. It would be yet another gadget to clutter up my pocket/backpack.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2004, 01:22 AM

i don't have one either. i used to carry one at work but i turned it in - i just don't like to be that easy to get a hold of...i would rather just have people leave me voice mail and i can get back to them when it is more convenient for me, and it allows me to better prioritize my time...i always found he cell calls were like "jumping the queue" and wanted my service immediately when they didn't really warrant it.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2004, 01:25 AM

I have absolutely no desire whatsoever. Damn cell phones, they're just annoying little pieces of crap that bother you and everyone else around you. Cell phone companies treat their customers like crap because they know that people are so dependent on them that they'll never, ever get rid of them. Just to drive the point home they try to get you on a f*cking TWO YEAR contract. Oh, I shopped around at one point. Apparently a one year contract isn't enough for them.

I have a $22/month (after taxes) land line that has no contract at all. If something comes up and I have to cancel it this month, I won't have to pay the $250 or whatever insane amount it is that those cell phone companies charge for early cancelation. My reception is always perfect, I can talk as much as I want without using up allocated minutes, my phone doesn't die after being on for a few hours, I pay half as much as you would pay for a cell phone, and I'm not bothered when I'm away from home. If someone really wants to contact me, they'll figure it out. If I really need to contact someone, I'll figure it out. I got along fine before cell phones strolled onto the scene and I will continue to do so.

Can't live without my broadband internet though .

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

osxpinot
Senior User
Dec 29, 2004, 02:22 AM

Welcome to any High School USA.

Cell phones are pretentious items that kids use to distinguish themselves just like clothes, cars, etc.. I would love to have them lined up, and I would personally run a bulldozer over every single one of them. Shame on any parent who lets the children at school manipulate them into purchasing something that they cannot (usually) afford. Credit card debt is a problem here in America!

And as somebody pointed out, customer service goes down the drain. As many people know, whenever you are dealing with a whole or partial teenage consumer-base, no customer representative will care who he/she pisses off. Because in the end, the teenager will mostly go to their parent and tell them that their phone is broken. And people are usually in contractual agreements. I would never relinquish that much power to an organization. I remember when I was a teenager, it was always impossible to get through any type of customer service because people used your age to undermind you. Which was naive thinking.

That being said, get a laptop. Wi-Fi is ubiquitous, and internet communication is free.

MindFad  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 29, 2004, 03:33 AM

Originally posted by Krusty:
[edit]
oh, and I almost forgot to mention, 'fad: the latest thing all of the cool kids are doing is setting their phones to vibrate, sticking them in their rear-ends and getting called again, and again .... and again.
Dude, I'm already out of minutes.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Dec 29, 2004, 04:00 AM

Get a Palm Treo. You can put Apple ][, Commodore, Gameboy, and Nintendo emulators on it.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

funkboy
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2004, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno:
[about a land line] My reception is always perfect, I can talk as much as I want without using up allocated minutes,
Get a calling card from certain places and you get long distance for as cheap as 3 cents (or maybe cheaper, who knows) a minute. And I'm not talking about the cards that charge you ten minutes just for making a one minute phone call, but other, respectible companies (AT&T, for instance).
All the long distance I need.

If I really need to contact someone, I'll figure it out. I got along fine before cell phones strolled onto the scene and I will continue to do so.
My thoughts exactly. No big sweat.

GoGoReggieXPowars
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2004, 01:14 PM

Locking your keys in your car? For me, it's not a problem. Haven't done that in 15 years. The last car I locked my keys in was one I could break into very easily with a coat hanger so it didn't really matter.
Only time I've locked my keys in the car was in the garage when I was working on it to install a new stereo. Went to the kitchen to get the spare, problem solved. Haven't lost a set of house keys in 12 years.

Still no cell phone either.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2004, 02:31 PM

Mobile phones save stranded Britons, Hong Kong workers in Sri Lanka
Tue Dec 28,10:44 AM ET

COLOMBO (AFP) - Thirty six stranded British tourists were rescued in Sri Lanka thanks to a mobile phone with one of them and technology that could pin-point the user, an official involved in the rescue told AFP.
The Britons were picked up from the southern beach resort of Hikkaduwa where they were stranded after the tsunami lashed three-quarters of the island's coastline, killing nearly 13,000 people.
A private initiative involving all phone companies here began monitoring mobile phones with international roaming and traced the call patterns to figure out the location of the phone users.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

paully dub
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2004, 02:34 PM

Prepaids are the only way to go for me. I've got one in the US, one here in France which I hardly ever use. I just rely on my girlfriend, who actually has my old cell from 4 years ago, a nokia 3210.

Old school. No vibrations or nothin'

Respect.

Adopt-A-Yankee

Forum Links
Forum Rules