Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Outlook (PC) to Entourage: How to display measurements correctly?

Outlook (PC) to Entourage: How to display measurements correctly?
rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2006, 06:25 PM

I have some Entourage e-mail users at work who are constantly receiving e-mails from PC users using Outlook that contain various measurements; however, Entourage cannot display the measurement correctly. Instead Entourage will display a "pie" symbol.

I think this has something to do with the auto-formatting when you type 1/2" or 1/4" in Outlook on the PC because Word formats it all fancy. If the Outlook users send their e-mails in plain text format, the Entourage users see everything nicely. But if they use HTML (which is default), they get the weird "pie" symbol instead.

Anyway around this?

Here is a screen-shot of what I get in Entourage when I receive an e-mail, sent from Outlook on the PC, and formatted as HTML:

Here is a screen-shot of what I get in Entourage when I receive an e-mail, sent from Outlook on the PC, and formatted as plain-text:

ghporter
Administrator
Oct 2, 2006, 07:46 PM

It looks like Outlook and Entourage are using different encodings. The thing is that I have no idea WHERE to select encoding on either one. I just checked the help in Outlook and it doesn't say ANYTHING about character encoding...

Outlook typically uses Word for its editor, and Word automatically substitutes the single character fractions for the "1/2" that you type.

FYI, in Word the fraction characters are: 1/4 = ASCII 188 (0X00BC), 1/2 = ASCII 189 (0X00BD), 3/4 = ASCII 190 (0X00BE). I don't know if that helps, but it's something...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

rickey939  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2006, 08:08 PM

Hmm, I'm totally stumped.

JKT
Professional Poster
Oct 3, 2006, 03:28 AM

How about you make people use the metric system with decimals and then you wouldn't have this problem

Andy8
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2006, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by JKT
How about you make people use the metric system with decimals and then you wouldn't have this problem
Exactly

rickey939  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 3, 2006, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by Andy8
Exactly
Well, not exactly. I'm not in the business of re-wiring people's brains; however, I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

Any other suggestions? Can anybody replicate this issue at least?

Forum Links
Forum Rules