Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > mac pro ram: ECC errors

mac pro ram: ECC errors
someone
Forum Regular
Jun 8, 2007, 04:48 AM

Hi,

I installed new 2x1GB sticks in my Mac Pro 10 hours ago, and have been running distributed computing projects to max out the CPU for the last 6 hours or so. I'm getting 4 ECC errors on the second stick. Memory temperatures around 160 degrees F. Should I RMA the RAM?

Thanks--
someone who loves Macs

OreoCookie
Jun 8, 2007, 04:13 PM

This means that this RAM module is faulty. Have it replaced by another one … btw, that's what ECC is good for
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2007, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
This means that this RAM module is faulty. Have it replaced by another one … btw, that's what ECC is good for
Excessive heat can also cause ECC errors. The room in which my Mac Pro is in doesn't get good ventilation in the summer and always is 15-20 degrees warmer than the rest of the house. I've had a few ECC errors when room temp has been above 85F, but none when the room temp is cooler. But at least the ECC does its job and corrects the errors

Yeah... going to get a little window AC unit for the computer room. With three machines and 4 monitors, it gets hot.

Might look in to the new fan assemblies for the RAM riser cards that some company is now producing (saw it on xlr8yourmac.com).

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 17, 2007, 01:31 AM

Cadever is correct. Heat can cause ECC errors with memory. I'm currently doing a test with my Mac Pro. I've been getting ECC errors when running BOINC and SETI on my Mac Pro, and sometimes BOINC and UT2004. I've gotten 4-5 in the last 3 weeks. I found a little utility called smcFanControl and have revved up the speed of my CPU/memory fan and my exhaust fan by a couple hundred rpms. You may want to give it a try... http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23049

I'm going to see what happens after a week.

Oh and I do have air conditioning in the house. The temp of the house is usually around 23 - 24 C.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Forum Links
Forum Rules