Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Use Restore on US iPhone to get UK Firmware?

Use Restore on US iPhone to get UK Firmware?
Koralatov
Senior User
Mar 25, 2008, 08:12 AM

One of the girls from my work is going to the States in about a month, and I'm thinking about giving her the cash and getting her to buy me a 16GB iPhone. Even with GST in Illinois, it still comes out about £100 cheaper than it would be to buy it here. However, it does raise one important question: can I convert it to a UK iPhone? I'd be using it on an O2 contract (I'd just convert my current one over to one of the iPhone ones).

I found a post on Mac Rumors using Google that says that it can be done:

You need to do a restore of the device and put the phone into recovery mode and then when you do a restore if you are using a uk version of iTunes it should restore to the uk version of the software which will allow you to use your o2 sim. Remember if you are not planning to use the contract you buy from o2 for the iphone you will need to jailbreak the device.
Is this actually the case? Is it really that easy to convert it from US to UK iPhone?

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2008, 10:45 AM

I've just been using the US firmware and had no problems - but i'm interested too!
we don't have time to stop for gas

Koralatov  (op)
Senior User
Apr 2, 2008, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Peter View Post
I've just been using the US firmware and had no problems - but i'm interested too!
You mean you just put in an O2 sim and it worked fine? It turns out that the question is largely academic now as I've got a £54 store credit from Apple for a dead eMac, but I'd still be very interested to know whether it's possible.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 2, 2008, 12:49 PM

no, i imported an american iPhone and unlocked it to run on a british Orange sim.
we don't have time to stop for gas

Forum Links
Forum Rules