Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > What to use for quick music video record?

What to use for quick music video record?
dzp111
Senior User
Jan 31, 2011, 07:15 PM

Hi folks.

Going to go for it and record myself playing the piano for Youtube, tonight. (gulp)

I'm using an old Yamaha Clavinova in an uncontrolled acoustic area. I'd like to record via M.I.DI. through GarageBand(?) and use built-in iSight, record a tune and upload it to YouTube.

Don't want to purchase any software if I can help it.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

: )
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

ibook_steve
Jan 31, 2011, 09:43 PM

If you're just using the iSight, use iMovie.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

dzp111  (op)
Senior User
Feb 1, 2011, 12:25 AM

will record m.i.d.i.?
.................................................. .................................................. ..................................www.DNCH.com

.................................................. .................................................. .......................www.daniel.poirier.com

ibook_steve
Feb 1, 2011, 06:18 PM

Not sure, but couldn't you record the sound separately in another app like Garageband or Audacity and then sync them up in iMovie?

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

dzp111  (op)
Senior User
Feb 1, 2011, 06:24 PM

I'm thinking;

Recording piano both M.I.D.I. in GarageBand, and live video with iPhone.

Upload movie to YouTube, and somehow link and sync video with M.I.D.I. file stored on server.

I'm looking to do this with one application/program.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2011, 07:24 AM

Fzck this. Third time I've posted instructions, but the fzcking thread is broken.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2011, 09:00 AM

Okay, another attempt.

Record video with iMovie (or iPhone; doesn't matter).

Record MIDI with GarageBand (you'll need a MIDI interface). This means you'll be using GarageBand's internal sounds, but also have the chance to edit and correct some of the gaffes that aren't immediately obvious from the video.

Edit movie entirely in iMovie, including intro, text, credits, etc. and save with iLife preview.

In GarageBand, drag the iMovie project from the media browser directly into the track overview/arrange area of the song you recorded the MIDI to.

Sync up recorded MIDI instrument track with video, mute video track (or automate for announcements etc.).

Export as audio, to then drag back into iMovie project for easy YouTubing.

dzp111  (op)
Senior User
Feb 4, 2011, 08:47 PM

Lol! omg, Spheric!

I never got this post (broken thread?) so I went and did it the 'cheap' way. But I'll definitely do what you said, it's the answer I was looking for.

I ended up just recording with the iPhone, edit a bit with iMovie and 'up you go'.

I intend on uploading 2 more tonight so it'll be the done the right way.

Thank you.

If you'd like to check it out, you'll need to go to dnch.com and register for 'Daniel Au Piano'.

Thanks again.

Daniel

dzp111  (op)
Senior User
Feb 6, 2011, 01:02 AM

Hey Spheric, I did the GB/iMovie combo. It worked pretty well, it might be some milliseconds off sync but it's livable with. The piano sound I'm not sure about though, I could only adjust as good as my headphones are if you know what I mean.

Anyway thanks one more time, I appreciate it.

Daniel

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 6, 2011, 06:14 AM

Did you record MIDI or audio?

check your PM if you haven't yet.

Forum Links
Forum Rules