Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes Has Suddenly Stopped Working! Help!

iTunes Has Suddenly Stopped Working! Help!
Koralatov
Senior User
Nov 13, 2007, 03:22 PM

After attempting to reinstall iChat after stupidly deleting it, I think I may have broken my iMac G4 (specs in sig). Everything was seemingly fine, but now I can't open iTunes at all. Even after restarting the machine--and making sure I have no other apps open--I get the following:

I looked into Activity Monitor to investigate my resource usage, and it came out with the following:

So as far as I can see, I don't know what's wrong. I ran Maintenance, doing my daily/weekly/monthly scripts, repaired permissions, everything. But nothing seems to work.

Anyone have any idea how to fix this? I'm pretty annoyed because this is the first major issue I've had with my Mac, and, worse, it may have been my own fault (my mucking around with iChat). I'd really like to get it fixed.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2007, 03:28 PM

When you reinstalled iChat, did you also run the 10.4.10 combo updater?
Vandelay Industries

Koralatov  (op)
Senior User
Nov 13, 2007, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
When you reinstalled iChat, did you also run the 10.4.10 combo updater?
I'm downloading it right now. Hopefully it'll fix the problem. Cheers for the input!

Koralatov  (op)
Senior User
Nov 13, 2007, 06:26 PM

Done. Sadly, it's had no effect whatsoever. My iChat still doesn't work, and neither does iTunes. I still get the same message as before. Would deleting iTunes and reinstalling it (once I've backed up the Library, of course) fix the problem? Or am I generally SOL in both cases?

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2007, 07:02 PM

You can try reinstalling iTunes. It's not necessary to backup your iTunes library since it is untouched by the iTunes installer. However, a backup is always a good thing to have. However, do try iTunes and iChat from a different account first like I mentioned in the iChat thread. iTunes is a pretty self-contained app. Reinstalling iChat and 10.4.10 should not have broken iTunes.

Another thing, have you tried rebooting at all during all of this? Sometimes a reboot will clear odd problems like this.

Btw, reinstall iTunes from downloading it from Apple. Don't bother getting it off your Tiger disc.
Vandelay Industries

Koralatov  (op)
Senior User
Nov 14, 2007, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
You can try reinstalling iTunes. It's not necessary to backup your iTunes library since it is untouched by the iTunes installer. However, a backup is always a good thing to have. However, do try iTunes and iChat from a different account first like I mentioned in the iChat thread. iTunes is a pretty self-contained app. Reinstalling iChat and 10.4.10 should not have broken iTunes.

Another thing, have you tried rebooting at all during all of this? Sometimes a reboot will clear odd problems like this.

Btw, reinstall iTunes from downloading it from Apple. Don't bother getting it off your Tiger disc.
I reinstalled iTunes, and everything is now fine. Very weird... Thanks again for all the help!

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2007, 02:50 PM

iChat too or just iTunes?
Vandelay Industries

Koralatov  (op)
Senior User
Nov 14, 2007, 08:02 PM

Oops. Forgot to post a reply in this thread; my small brain got confused having two overlapping threads on the go at once.

Initially, it was just iTunes that worked again. Now, after deleting APE and running the combo update installer, both are working fine.

Your help was very much appreciated in this, Art Vandelay. I suspect I would have gone bald trying to sort it out myself.

Forum Links
Forum Rules