Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Do I need to Reinstall Panther ?

Do I need to Reinstall Panther ?
PacHead
Baninated
Apr 9, 2004, 06:06 PM

I'm having a problem with Safari, though I am almost certain it is OS related, thats why im not posting this topic in the software forum.

Ever since updating to 10.3.3, the safari on my machine (G4 QS 933 1.25 Ram), just quits/crashes immediately after I open it. I get the window saying that the app has quit, and It asks me if I want to send a bug report to Apple, something I have done a bunch of times.

So, I figure, lemme just wipe Safari completely from my drive (all preferences etc.), and just download Safari again, something which I did. It didn't solve the problem though, because the new Safari I downloaded does the exact same thing, it quits/crashes immediately after I open it.

I'm no expert on OSX, but i do the usual things, like reparing permissions, and none of this seems to help.

I'm not having any problems with any other browsers I've tried, like IE and Firefox.

Does anybody know of any other solution or suggestions, besides Reinstalling Panther again or wiping my drive ?, Something which would be a bit of a hassle, but I guess I'll have to do it if there is no other choice.

Thanx

Should I post a Crashlog ? Does anybody understand those things here, because i sure don't.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Apr 9, 2004, 06:30 PM

if you log in as another user (create another account if you don't have one...) and try using safari does it crash?
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2004, 07:43 PM

I had some Safari issues on one of my machines - the context menus were screwed up (several "cannot find localized string" instead of actual menu items). I did something weird to Safari myself while digging around in the app's package, so this wasn't an OS malfunction (just my own).

Copying Safari 1.2.1 from another machine didn't fix the issue. Neither did downloading and installing Safari 1.2 via apple.com.

The solution (though perhaps overkill) was to erase everything related to Safari (prefs, cache files and app), reinstall 1.2 from Apple's website, reinstall 10.3.3 via Combo Update download, then reinstall the most recent security patch. Thank goodness the installer in Panther will allow multiple installs w/out rebooting after each one.

One reboot later, I was back in business and with a fully functional Safari 1.2.1

PacHead  (op)
Baninated
Apr 10, 2004, 01:53 AM

Thanks for the replies. Im not currently on my G4, but I will test out the suggestions offered and report back tommorow.

Just one thing. Its possible to reinstall Panther on top of the Panther thats already there ?
I was unaware of that, but that certainly makes things easier.

bergy
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 10, 2004, 07:41 PM

I will send you all of these just in case any pertain ...

Safari TroubleShooting
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107657

Safari and Software Update
http://www.macworld.com/forums/ubbth...rue#Post201718

Safari and PithHelmet
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107792
Tiger 10.4.8

PacHead  (op)
Baninated
Apr 11, 2004, 02:59 PM

Thanks for all the replies once again, here's an update.

My Safari works once again, because I'm using it to reply right now.

I went to Apple.com and downloaded the Panther 10.3.3 combo update, and just installed it once again. Then I did the usual repair permissions after that, and everything seems to be running smooth once again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules