Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > How to reinstall OS9 on Graphite iMac DV SE 400?

How to reinstall OS9 on Graphite iMac DV SE 400?
CaptainKirk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2012, 02:18 PM

Hello All

I have an iMac DV Special Edition 400Mhz PowerPC G3 (Graphite) with upgraded 640MB RAM from 2000. It shipped with OS9. I later installed OSX (10.2.8) around 2003 etc.

I had both OS9 and OSX all running perfectly. However, because my HD became full over the years with various software packages and versions affecting performance, I erased the entire HD and formatted it (Extended/HFS+ with OS9 drivers) to do a clean install of both OS9 and OSX. (Now before the criticism starts flooding in, yes, I know now that this was stupid and wreckless.)

Now I can only install OSX. The iMac does not recognise the original (orange cds)software restore or install discs that came with the machine. I even have the OS9.2 update disc (orange '9' on white cd) and the iMac does not recognise that either. I have repeatedly erased and formatted the HD to install OS9 in various ways but so far no luck.

Now before some of you start saying I should invest in new equipment, this is not my only mac, I also have a 2010 Macbook Pro. But I need to install OS9 on my iMac as well because I have some software packages that only run on OS9 eg SoundEdit 16.

So, is there a way to restore the original iMac software or set the machine back to factory default? You would think Apple would have covered this situation with a simple straight forward way to fix this. And I'm not the only one facing this problem as can be seen from postings on various forums. I am not familiar with Xtools or whatever it is called but I read somewhere there are 'packages' that restore the original factory settings. I also have the OSX Developer Tools cd that came with OSX. Is there any way I can use this perhaps to install OS9? Or is there is another way to install OS9? Please help me out. Any and all advice appreciated. Thank you.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2012, 02:46 PM

The discs that came with your iMac should work. Otherwise you'll need a retail OS 9 disc.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

reader50
Administrator
Jan 19, 2012, 03:08 PM

It sounds like your optical drive has gotten weak with age - your original OS9 discs should work. Do they mount on the iMac when you are booted into X?

Try putting your MacBook Pro into FW target disc mode (hold down the T key during boot), then use the MBP as an external optical drive for the iMac DVSE.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2012, 06:15 PM

Insert the iMac disk and hold down option when you start up the Mac. It should show you the CD to boot from after 5-15 seconds along with the internal hard drive. If it does not show up it could be the laser in the drive being only able to work with DVDs (hence why the OS X boot disk works) If thats the case and thats not uncommon when one of the lasers fail then reader50 solution is the best option unless you have a external USB CD/DVD Drive in the house you can use. I like using the OPTION key option when you are not sure about the computer seeing a disk because unlike holding down C, it actually lets you pause and see is the computer actually seeing the CD.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

johnsou
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2012, 06:42 PM

You might be able to do a target disk mode install from your newer mac too...

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2012, 06:56 PM

No, new mac is Intel, OS 9 is PPC only. the Installer wont even open on it. Even if its 10.5 it still wont install.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 19, 2012, 09:58 PM

You might be able to use the new Macs DVD drive over firewire.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2012, 09:05 PM

Wasn't there an open firmware update on those old macs to support something about OSX that killed installed certain older versions of OS9 (or 8.5 even)? I think only OS9.1 will boot an older G3 iMac after that update.

Truthfully, you could look for OS9 on a t*rrent site, but that might be consider morally ambiguous, since you already own the OS9 license, but it just won't boot.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2012, 09:10 PM

Zipped up copy of OS 9 would work IF the right enabler is in the system folder.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2012, 12:21 AM

Ah yes, my first Mac was the graphic iMac DV Special Edition 400Mhz PowerPC G3.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 21, 2012, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Ah yes, my first Mac was the graphic iMac DV Special Edition 400Mhz PowerPC G3.
I had the tangeric version (still do—it's in the basement).

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2012, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
Wasn't there an open firmware update on those old macs to support something about OSX that killed installed certain older versions of OS9 (or 8.5 even)? I think only OS9.1 will boot an older G3 iMac after that update.
This one? It does indeed require Mac OS 9.1
iMac Firmware Update 4.1.9: Information and Download

I have a Mac OS 9.2.2 disk image at hand since it is the only one able to boot up on my Mac OS 9 capable Power Mac G4 MDD 2003. As far as I can tell, it might work only with these Power Macs. Does anyone know if it might work with that Graphite iMac DV.?

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2012, 11:26 PM

You really need the retail version of OS9.1 unless you know how to modify the computer-specific checks built in to the discs that came with other powermacs. A little searching and you might dig up how to modify that disc and burn a new disc that could boot your imac.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 22, 2012, 02:03 PM

i hope you get it worked out. os9 is just cool these days. gonna start using it again myself. this morning i installed my printer drivers and a payroll program in 9. tinybooks is next.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

is not
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 22, 2012, 03:34 PM

We should post more MacOS9 screenshots on this forum

CaptainKirk  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 23, 2012, 09:52 AM

Thank you all for your suggestions.
Eriamjh is correct about that firmware blocking OS9 installation. Yes, I'll have to a bit of digging.
I have the OS9.1 cd as well but the iMac does not want to recognise the installer at all.
Athens, any clue about the right enabler?

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2012, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by gooser View Post
i hope you get it worked out. os9 is just cool these days. gonna start using it again myself. this morning i installed my printer drivers and a payroll program in 9. tinybooks is next.
I do not miss co-operative multitasking. *shudder*

amazing
Professional Poster
Jan 23, 2012, 02:15 PM

Years ago I did manage to get the required new firmware onto a blue iMac, so I know it can be done!
(but I don't remember the details, sorry.)

And this won't help you with the iMac, but you can run OS 9 under Sheepshaver, even on Lion. I love playing the old Shanghai II within Sheepshaver.

Plus it looks really cool to watch OS 9 starting up very, very fast on an MBP! The extensions fly across the bottom of the screen.

Forum Links
Forum Rules