Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Flight simulator on bootcamp volume?

Flight simulator on bootcamp volume?
eschummer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 30, 2007, 11:39 AM

Hi all -

Is anybody running an R/C flight simulator on XP or Vista on a bootcamp volume? I have an Intel based iMac, and can install XP and/or Vista without a glitch, but running any kind of flight simulator (AF Pro or GP G3) does not seem to work. The simulators crash before they even load properly. I suspect it may be some sort of video hardware issue that I'm unaware of. Anybody?

Many thanks,http://forums.macnn.com/images/smili...l/confused.gif

Ed
SF

magness
May 31, 2007, 08:41 PM

Hi. I've actually run FSX on a MacBook Pro and I've had no problems running it. However it's pretty taxing on ye old graphics card. I guess you need to make sure that the latest version of Direct X is running, make sure you don't have many programs running in the background etc. FSX usually takes a toll even on the most recent hardware so with macs, you'll have to make sure your settings are pretty low to begin with

justmetoo
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2007, 11:55 AM

I run Thridwire's "First Eagles" and "Strike Fighters" flight sims, but my hardware is a bit heavier than yours...
Magness is correct, update DirX right away on the Windoze side. I also had some serious issues with the Apple ATI drivers for my GPU, and had to get useable Win drivers directly from ATI (which required the install of .Net framework, ugh!].
Perhaps a reinstall of the Apple vid drivers is required for you?

alligator
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2007, 10:01 PM

Microsoft's flight simulator works just fine. No idea about the R/C flight simulator.

riotge@r
Forum Regular
Jun 21, 2007, 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by eschummer View Post
Hi all -

Is anybody running an R/C flight simulator on XP or Vista on a bootcamp volume? I have an Intel based iMac, and can install XP and/or Vista without a glitch, but running any kind of flight simulator (AF Pro or GP G3) does not seem to work. The simulators crash before they even load properly. I suspect it may be some sort of video hardware issue that I'm unaware of. Anybody?

Many thanks,http://forums.macnn.com/images/smili...l/confused.gif

Ed
SF
I use Aero Fly Pro, FS ONE, and Real Flight G3.5 on my MacBook Pro. I get 100fps on average with G3 with the photofields and all settings set to max.
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4Ghz

quattrokid73
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 4, 2007, 07:04 PM

riot, what MBP are you using?

im getting a new 2.4 15" in a few weeks and i need to figure out a windows solution ASAP to bring G3 and Phoenix Link with me to college.

i dont know if i should use boot camp or parallels, and then xp pro or vista home premium....im intimidated by the whole thing.

such a quandry.
MBP 2.4, 2gb, 8600GT, 120gb 7200rpm; white iPhone 3G

Forum Links
Forum Rules