Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > How rugged is the PB 12" (compared to the iB 12")

How rugged is the PB 12" (compared to the iB 12")
alfric
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2003, 02:16 PM

Within the new iBooks out, i'm in a dilemma: i like the power and features of the powerbook but i also want a laptop which is portable and sturdy... the Apple website specifically emphasises the rugged construction of the ibook:

"The deceptively smooth and well-rounded iBook is surprisingly rugged. It was designed with durability in mind, using ultra-tough polycarbonate plastic � the same material used in bulletproof glass � with an internal magnesium frame for added strength. The hard disk drive is rubber-mounted for impact resistance. And there are no doors or protruding elements that can accidentally get triggered, break off or snag on clothing. "

QUESTIONS:
- how rugged is the PB 12"
- does the PB12" have a rubber-mounted drive?
- which is more rugged: PB12 or iB12?

- i'm not planning to play rugger with it... but i do want to get around a bit and be able to use my laptop whenever and wherever i choose...

geekwagon
Senior User
Oct 22, 2003, 02:49 PM

The iBook is way more rugged than the Powerbook (I have both 12"ers.) I think you could probably beat someone to death with an iBook without hurting it.. The Powerbook, being metal would get dented up.

That said, the Powerbook is a very durable machine, and I carry it with me everywhere. I do put it into a small sleeve before I stuff it into my backpack just to prevent it from getting scratched up though.

And remember, you pay for that durability with about a pound of extra weight, so you have to take that into consideration too.

HotSoup
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 22, 2003, 04:36 PM

Thanks for the info. Ever drop either one of them, geekwagon?

Do you think the extra L2 cache in the 12" PB is worth buying it over the 14" iBook? I mean speed wise, will I see a diff?

Trygve
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 22, 2003, 04:58 PM

I don't have a 12" PB to compare (but do have a TiBook 15").

I have taken my 12" iBook all over the world in a backpack. Just a case from Waterfield Design (http://www.sfbags.com/).

It has been hauled from Georgia (former Soviet Union) to Turkey, UAE, Oman, all over Eastern Europe and is about to go for 4 months in SE Asia.

Never had any trouble - very sturdy.

Trygve

Scooterboy
Senior User
Oct 22, 2003, 07:01 PM

My iBook has been everywhere with me, including drunken scooter rides home from Dublin. I once banged it so hard into a metal pole on a bus (damn driver!) that I thought it broke it in two, but no damage but the tiniest hairline crack in the case is visible.

These iBooks are really tough.

I'd expect the G4 in the PowerBooks to be significantly faster than the G4 in the iBooks because of the smaller level 2 cache. I'd like to see speed tests comparing the 900 MHz iBook G3 (512MHz level 2 cache) vs. the 800 MHz iBook G4. This might be a letdown for potential 12" iBook G4 users.
Scooters are more fun than computers and only slightly more frustrating

geekwagon
Senior User
Oct 22, 2003, 07:45 PM

Originally posted by HotSoup:
Thanks for the info. Ever drop either one of them, geekwagon?
Not yet, *knocks on wood* although I did trip on the powercord on the powerbook and sent it flying for a few feet. The end of the powercable was a little bent (easily fixable) but the laptop was unscratched. This was onto residention carpet though. I'm sure it would dent if I dropped it onto hardwood or concrete.

alfric  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2003, 03:47 AM

Still no answersas to whether the PB 12" has a rubber-mounted HB... Kodawarisan out there anywhere?

AFAIK the PB looks to be less sturdy as they've shaved off 1cm each way - thus giving it less impact-resistance... any 12" PB owner care to comment on this?

Fillman
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2003, 05:18 AM

My 12" PB has survived daily journeys in a backpack to and from work (45 minute train commute), flights across Australia every second week and a couple of round the World trips. I'm more bashed up than the PB.

A couple of dings in the case but it still looks great.

<blatant plug> And I use iKlear solution to keep the screen and bodywork in pristine condition </blatant plug>

- Earth First - We'll mine the rest of the planets later

Forum Links
Forum Rules