Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iTunes Creates Too Many Temp files?

iTunes Creates Too Many Temp files?
mrl14
Jun 17, 2002, 06:24 PM

I've been running OS X since March 24th, but over the last month after I converted some CD's to MP3;s I looked inside my iTunes folder inside My Documents folder and noticed over 1000 TEMP files. They ar ejust under 1MB in size but the damn folder is over 1GB of space...space that I could use....so my question is...can I delete these and why isn't iTunes deleting them?
Get FREE software, legally

http://www.trybeta.com

starfleetX
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2002, 07:33 PM

Do you have Norton installed?

I seem to recall reading reports some time ago about one of the Norton programs blocking iTunes from properly writing to it's library, thus spawning a bunch of extra files.
The server made a boo boo. (403)

mrl14  (op)
Jun 17, 2002, 07:53 PM

Nope no Norton here.

damn MacNN page crashes every other time i load it in IE...spinning ball...what's going on

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 17, 2002, 08:15 PM

this is one of those times where the answer:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by mrl14:
<strong>i load it in IE</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">is in the question:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by mrl14:
<strong>damn MacNN page crashes every other time i load it in IE...spinning ball...what's going on</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">

atomium
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2002, 08:27 PM

I had the same thing for a while. Every time I would import a CD or add tracks to the library, it would generate another tempfile. At one point it was adding one 1 MB temp file for each track I added to the playlist. Couldn't get it to stop until I wiped out everything I could find related to iTunes and re-installed the whole app. Never did figure out what was causing it.

Good luck.

-atomium

K++
Senior User
Jun 19, 2002, 03:40 PM

Just delete the temps you have no need of them and nothing bad will happen to you for deleting them, thay are nothing more than the result of being unable to write to the library at the time and spawn of a temp until it could. I can guarantee your library will be fine cuz otherwise there would be only one temp which woulde effectively be your library.

mrl14  (op)
Jun 19, 2002, 03:51 PM

ya i deleted them, freed up one gig, everything works, including iTunes making more of em ahah

thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules