Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Miami advice please!

Miami advice please!
nath
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2004, 01:28 PM

Got a stop-off over night in Miami on my way to Jamaica. Can anyone recommend a decent bar or area to check out in the evening (preferably near the airport!)

Cheers.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 18, 2004, 02:05 PM

"Miami adVice"?

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

nath  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2004, 02:09 PM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
"Miami adVice"?

yeah, and if anyone can let me know where to get one of those suits for the trip, that would be cool too

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 18, 2004, 03:12 PM

South Beach, of course! Go east from the airport and stop just before your feet get wet (Ocean Drive).

AlfaMunky
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2004, 03:17 PM

Well depends on how much time you have. The area directly around the airport is not going to be great for a quick taste of Miami. If you have a good hour + to spend then I'd suggest making your way to the Bayside Area in Downtown. Thats if you have time and know that traffic will be forgiving. You could make you way to Cocowalk. The thing is the area directy around the Airport sort of sucks. You got to drive in Miami to get anywhere good. The South Beach area would be the place to go for a sample of Miami. That will probably take way to long. Good luck.

If you want a time warp to Miami Vice style surrounding you really should find time for South Beach.

nath  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2004, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by AlfaMunky:
Well depends on how much time you have. The area directly around the airport is not going to be great for a quick taste of Miami. If you have a good hour + to spend then I'd suggest making your way to the Bayside Area in Downtown. Thats if you have time and know that traffic will be forgiving. You could make you way to Cocowalk. The thing is the area directy around the Airport sort of sucks. You got to drive in Miami to get anywhere good. The South Beach area would be the place to go for a sample of Miami. That will probably take way to long. Good luck.

If you want a time warp to Miami Vice style surrounding you really should find time for South Beach.
we've got about 12 hours actually, although i wouldn't mind getting some sleep as well. how long does it take to drive to south beach from the airport?

cheers

AlfaMunky
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2004, 06:58 PM

I can make it in like 20 mins but I drive like an a-hole. It really depends on traffic. With 12 hrs. thats really where you should go. Be prepared to park in a garage. It usually is impossible to get parking right on the water. Nice area if your from out of town to walk around, shop, and pop into a bar or cafe. Have fun.

AlfaMunky
Forum Regular
Nov 18, 2004, 06:59 PM

PS. Leave the pastel suits at home.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 18, 2004, 07:09 PM

It usually is impossible to get parking right on the water.
Yeah it sucks that most cars aren't built for it. Maybe he drives one of these?

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2004, 07:25 PM

PS. Leave the pastel suits at home.
this little guy is your friend-

advice- wear dark shades if you go to south beach. that way the babes can't see who it is you're looking at.

babes, lawl.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2004, 10:17 PM

Not sure what kind of bar/club you're looking for, but I'll recommend SkyBar as a club (call way ahead to book a table or you won't get in) and Hotel Cardozo on Ocean Dr. as a bar/lounge. I was at Cardozo after the Electronic Music Festival this past spring, and I met alot of cool people there. Plus, some people were doing coke off the counter in the bathroom. My buddy pointed out the residue.

Both places are in South Beach.

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Nov 18, 2004, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by d4nth3m4n:
advice- wear dark shades if you go to south beach. that way the babes can't see who it is you're looking at.
The 'babes' want to be looked at, just not stared at. You don't have to wear the shades, but don't get caught gawking at some bare breasts. You'll look like a Mac dork.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 19, 2004, 12:36 AM

have a frozen drink at Wet Willies on the beach, sit upstairs, overlooking everyone as they pass by.

good daytime activity.. oh, and look up La Sandwicherie (sp). it's a 24 hr Sandwich shop, absolutely terrific for a quick lunch.

both, on south beach.
ice

nath  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2004, 02:27 AM

Originally posted by rozwado1:
The 'babes' want to be looked at, just not stared at. You don't have to wear the shades, but don't get caught gawking at some bare breasts. You'll look like a Mac dork.
ha ha the voice of experience there i presume!

i''ll be on my honeymoon so naturally will only have eyes for one woman

thanks for all your help guys, i'm now looking forward to it!

nath  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2004, 05:53 PM

cheers for all your advice guys, particularly with regards the pastel suits. we checked out a few places at the Beach and ended up having a stopover on our way back from jamaica as well (AA flight out of Montego Bay was six hours late)

nice city, very clean! first time in the states for both of us and we have enjoyed it, plan to make a long trip next year maybe. cigars and big hair everywhere though.

got pulled up by some cop today (we both smoke roll up cigarettes which he insisted on sniffing!!) we laughed, quite a lot. he didn't.

sitting in a hotel room now waiting to get our flight back to london. found time to hit the applestore at the falls to buy some cheap mac stuff before heading back to the World's Most Expensive City. As a married couple!

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 29, 2004, 07:01 PM

ice

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 30, 2004, 12:18 PM

Congratulations nath, may you have a healthy and happy married life ahead.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Forum Links
Forum Rules