Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > narrowing the field?

narrowing the field?
gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2006, 01:12 AM

it appears the new line of ipods will only work with usb2.0 whereas the last generation of ipods would at least sync slowly with usb1.1. in addition itunes 7 (also required with the new ipods) will only work with the last two operating systems and the hardware requirements are more restrictive. what is the solution? a new computer just to use an ipod or maybe buying a second hand ipod? or am i missing something? i know apple is in business to sell equipment but could the value of an older ipod in good condition start to rise? personally i prefer the last of the firewire models.
maybe i just feel bad that i have 3 macs and a new ipod won't work with any of them.
( Last edited by gooser; Sep 13, 2006 at 01:27 AM. )

badsey
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2006, 01:46 AM

stick with the old iPods then. USB 1.1 is horrible for iPods = USB 2.0 is much better.

nothing wrong with an older iPod or FireWire.

gooser  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2006, 01:56 AM

i only add (manually) a couple of albums a month to my ipod so speed isn't an issue.
future compatibility is an issue.

SomeToast
Senior User
Sep 13, 2006, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by gooser
maybe i just feel bad that i have 3 macs and a new ipod won't work with any of them.
Do any have PCI slots?

gooser  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2006, 08:13 AM

nope, good idea though. as an apple shareholder i like their decisions, as a consumer i don't. no big deal, just mouthing off frustration i guess. my 3g ipod is still meeting my needs. i'm one of those who doesn't need the "latest and the greatest".

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 08:36 AM

Seriously? None of the new iPods are backwards compatible with USB 2.0 (not even the Shuffle)? Sounds very odd to me-- almost all USB 2.0 devices I've seen are backwards compatible-- even things like hard drives!

gooser  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 13, 2006, 09:03 PM

ok, i'll wait a few months until quite a few people have these new ipods and repost the question. as far as backwards compatibility goes, i'm just going on the information apple's website states.

brokenjago
Mac Elite
Sep 13, 2006, 09:35 PM

I just spoke to an Apple rep, and they tell me the new Nanos as well as the new Shuffles will work fine with a "high-power" USB 1.1 port. Looks like you're in luck!
Linkinus is king.

Forum Links
Forum Rules