Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook Batteries - how many have you bought?

iBook Batteries - how many have you bought?
engaged
Location: Close to the sea and a place with a big, big castle...
Oct 6, 2004, 10:05 AM

I've had my Late 2001 iBook for just about three years now, and bought a replacement battery last August as the original 'died'. This replacement has just started decided to die too, so I'm about to get yet another.

I know that lithium ion cells have a finite life, so I guess that just over a year of use isn't too bad - it has been frequently used as a roaming laptop since I got an Airport card for it. And at least you can still get hold of replacement batteries from Apple: try doing that for a three year old PC laptop...

Anyone else got similar stories?

polendo
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 6, 2004, 11:10 AM

I have only bought 1, but its my third battery in 18 months.

The first one went crazy at 83%, so it was replaced under warranty. Then the battery under warranty went stupid and couldn't reach 100% so it was always charging (orange ring on all the time). I didn't like the idea of a laptop recharging all day all the time, so I bought this new battery.

joltguy
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 6, 2004, 12:18 PM

I guess I've been pretty lucky. I've got the same iBook as you do engaged, and I'm still on the original battery. Of course, it will only go for about 1.5 hours now, but I'm usually on the AC power anyway.

Lets hope I have as much success with my iPod's battery.

DoraExplorer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 6, 2004, 07:22 PM

I've got a May 2002 iBook, and I replaced the battery earlier this year.

I barely use the battery, though. Do they just die of old age or what?

armandocerna
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2004, 12:36 PM

Pretty much, after a certain amount of use the life of the battery just starts to dwindle down to nothing. A battery a year is worth the investment though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules