Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Rhapsody vs iTunes

Rhapsody vs iTunes
GFitzy
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2003, 12:54 PM

Let the price war begin, do I hear $0.50 a song??
Realnetworks

boardsurfer
May 28, 2003, 01:00 PM

It is still a subscription service AND you have to pay more to burn CD's? Dont think so.

Until someone matches Apple's pricing scheme, I dont think they have any reason to consider a price change. Maybe the labels wouldnt let them change the price anyway.

maxelson
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2003, 01:02 PM

Not to mention this: RealNetworks make CRAP for SW. Sorry. I ain't going to pony up for anything this coimpany makes until they can manage to make their flagship product usable.

I'm going to pull your head off because I don't like your head.

macbarry
May 28, 2003, 01:05 PM

Whoops! Real's 79 cents/song only looks like 20 cents less than iTMS' 99 cents. If you read the details to be able to download a song for 79 cents the hapless Rhapsody customer must also plunk down a $9.95/month subscription fee. You'd need to buy 50 songs in a month to see a price break on Real's service. Here's hoping the mass media remembers to report THAT little detail...

Powaqqatsi
Mac Elite
May 28, 2003, 01:09 PM

Rhapsody you say eh...

tikki
Mac Elite
May 28, 2003, 03:10 PM

How is the music encoded? Please please tell me they aren't real media files.

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

boardsurfer
May 28, 2003, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by maxelson:
Not to mention this: RealNetworks make CRAP for SW. Sorry. I ain't going to pony up for anything this coimpany makes until they can manage to make their flagship product usable.
True dat

tikki
Mac Elite
May 28, 2003, 03:33 PM

it USED to be usable. I remember when real was an awesome piece of software. I could listen to Broadcast.com and get all the NHL games. Those were the days

Bloatware ruined Real.

work: maczealots blog: carpeaqua

istallion
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2003, 03:50 PM

They're probably still using windows media 8. I doubt they're reencoding all their content just because of NIH syndrome. They may add the real codec and encode new music with it .

$120 a year is steep but there is the advantage that you can listen to the whole library and don't have to pay for one-hit wonders.

Sarc
Mac Elite
May 28, 2003, 04:19 PM

damn ... the computer industry has to hire a new creative group for their names ... Rhapsody ???
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

msh
May 28, 2003, 05:48 PM

I read the quote on the side. ... no problems playing high quality audio on broad band. What about dial up users? How will the quality be for them? Will they pay the same amount for low quality streams? or Will they just have to deal with skips and such?

At least with ITMS on dial up, you just have to wait longer for your tunes to download. You get the same value for your +ACQ-0.99 as a broadband users does.

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2003, 06:20 PM

You know Real could TOTTALY change around their perception if they just ran a few commercials appologizing for their pesky add bugging, and unbloated their software, if apple partnered with them and developed the UI they could TOTTALLY woop M$, Real is becomming irrelivant since M$ joined the fray sadly, if Real wants to remain a real player they need to shape up their image so they look like a white night to the evil M$.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
May 28, 2003, 07:46 PM

Not related to their music service, but I think Real has made inroads here. RealOne is much less intrusive and more responsive on Windows than past versions of RealPlayer were. On OSX it's also quite nice. Less intrusive than Quicktime even, because Quicktime always bugs me to buy the Pro version.

istallion
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2003, 08:36 PM

Originally posted by msh:
I read the quote on the side. ... no problems playing high quality audio on broad band. What about dial up users? How will the quality be for them? Will they pay the same amount for low quality streams? or Will they just have to deal with skips and such?

At least with ITMS on dial up, you just have to wait longer for your tunes to download. You get the same value for your +ACQ-0.99 as a broadband users does.
I saw no reason for them to block dial-up users. Their player queues up songs you want and downloads them as fast as possible. If you want to play songs that haven't been cached, it puts it at the head of the queue and plays like regular stream.

Forum Links
Forum Rules