Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Blurry text on 17" LCD Studio Display

Blurry text on 17" LCD Studio Display
Mercator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2001, 06:11 PM

Ok, I've had my 867 Quicksilver for a few days now, and the monitor is beginning to bother me. Quite simply, the text is not as crisp as what I'm used to on a CRT. It's tolerable only if I set the resolution to 1280 x 1024, but I then find myself squinting at the screen because the type is so small. Each lower resolution produces larger, but more blurry type.

I have no experience with LCD screens--is this something I should just get used to? What setting do you set your resolution at?

I didn't even notice this the first couple of days, but it's one of those thing where once you see it, you can't get over it.

Also, the paperwork included with the monitor seems to be for "Apple Asia Pacific" customers, and most of it is in Chinese. This couldn't affect the monitor performance, could it?

Thanks.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 14, 2001, 06:22 PM

LCDs have a native resolution.
That is the resolution they work best at.
For the 17 inch LCD it is 1280X1024.
Text will be blurry at other resolutions.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

bender
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2001, 07:51 PM

I received my 17" LCD Studio display, and the paperwork seemed to be for "Apple Asia Pacific" customers also. This kind of surprised me at first, but maybe they all come that way. I'm still waiting for my QS to arrive so I can test it.

S_Lanaway
Forum Regular
Aug 14, 2001, 09:22 PM

I got the 17" TFT LCD last week and I am using it right now. It has been a great addition to my set-up. These monitors are not meant for regular viewing at anything other than the native resolution. If you think the text is too small then try upping the font size for whatever you're in (system, program etc).
http://www.titancreative.com
http://www.scottlanaway.com

Mercator  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 14, 2001, 10:41 PM

Originally posted by S_Lanaway:
<STRONG>If you think the text is too small then try upping the font size for whatever you're in (system, program etc).</STRONG>
Yep, that's what I'll do. Thanks guys.

Now I just need to learn how to read Mandarin

--Merc

asterizk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2001, 03:07 AM

Heh, I just got the Quicksilver/Studio 17 combo, and they look just gorgeous together!

My documentation came in Mandarin as well. Perhaps it's part of Apple's renewed globalization effort (you know, the "not all major announcements happen in the US" thing).. :-)

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 16, 2001, 09:26 PM

Every LCD screen I've seen for the last few years is lousy when it comes to displaying text! These are designed for graphics. I've sold Macs and Windoze machines for seven years (Macs only the last two), so I've seen a few LCDs, and I've yet to see a good one for text. They're fine if you're only typing characters without any curves in them, but, unfortunatley, I haven't figured out a way to get my message across using only the letters LKFNTI!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

The Ancient One
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 17, 2001, 05:54 PM

"Every LCD screen I've seen for the last few years is lousy when it comes to displaying text! These are designed for graphics. I've sold Macs and Windoze machines for seven years (Macs only the last two), so I've seen a few LCDs, and I've yet to see a good one for text. They're fine if you're only typing characters without any curves in them, but, unfortunatley, I haven't figured out a way to get my message across using only the letters LKFNTI! "

I think I've got a partial solution to your problem -

AEHMWXYZ!
The first commandment of ALL religions is to provide a comfortable living for the priesthood.

Forum Links
Forum Rules