Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Apple Pro speakers problem

Apple Pro speakers problem
Mercator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2001, 03:55 PM

I've been having inconsistent sound levels with the Apple Pro speakers on my 867 Quicksilver, especially at lower volumes. For example, the alert beep will "fade in," and sometimes quiet music (like classical) will fade out completely. This only happens in OS 9.2 (and now still in OS 9.2.1). However, the speakers perform great in OS X.

I just spent a half hour with Apple's Tech Support, and they had me check the jack connection and zap the pram, with no avail. Anyone else have this oddity? I would think that if it was a problem with the speakers, it would have the same quirk in OS X.

CityGuy2003
Aug 22, 2001, 06:10 PM

This may have something to do with it, I'm not sure though, because they work fine in OS X its probably not, but its worth a try.

The Pro Speakers require too much power to run from the USB hub in the back of the new Apple monitors (the lcd 15", 17", and 22"), they have to be plugged directly into a USB port on the computer.

Mercator  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2001, 06:27 PM

Mine have a minijack connection, not USB. Is one better than the other?

CityGuy2003
Aug 22, 2001, 10:52 PM

i feel like a dumb ass... ...im not exactly sure what i was doing there, i felt like i knew that for sure, but of course i was wrong, the pro speakers are not USB...sorry, i dont really know why i was so sure i thought that...i dont have the pro speakers myself, i have the soundsticks which are USB based...well, again im a dumb ass, sorry i messed up

Forum Links
Forum Rules