Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Farallon Ethermac PCMCIA card oddity

Farallon Ethermac PCMCIA card oddity
Mercator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2002, 10:54 AM

I recently set up an ethernet network in my home. I have three computers to network, and all the wall jacks work fine with all the computers, except for my Powerbook.

I have a Farallon PCMCIA Ethermac card installed, and the powerbook won't see the network when it is plugged into the wall jack. No activity light on the hub, either.

However, when I plug the powerbook directly into the hub, or directly into the ethernet jack in another computer, it works perfectly.

So my question is...why won't my powerbook see the network when connected via the wall jack?

engage1000
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2002, 12:08 PM

Sounds like you have a Layer 1 physical problem with your cable run to the hub. If you connected the powerbook successfully to the hub directly, then that rules out the possibilty of the powerbook being broken, and same for the hub. You said it works on another line, correct?

Well I would inspect the line that doesn't work carefully (if that is possible), and take apart the jack, and make sure you have the proper wires in the proper places etc...

The only other thing I can suggest is to get (or borrow) a network diagnostic tool and do some tests on the run. They can tell u how much interference there is, cable wiring schematic, signal attenuation and so on. That kind of equipment can be pretty expensive though.

I hope you fix it. BTW, what kind of powerbook do you have?
I learned the hard way that you can't use vB smilies in your sig. see --> :cry:

Mercator  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2002, 12:24 PM

Thanks for the quick reply! I should elaborate..I tested all the wall jacks with my iMac and was able to connect to the network on all of them. The Powerbook (an old 5300cs) will not connect on ANY of the wall jacks, but will connect directly into the hub, or directly into another computer.

Is it possible that the cord going from the PCMCIA card to the outlet is actually wired like a crossover cable? Being able to connect directly to another computer's ethernet jack leads me to think this is true. Peering at the RJ-45 connector, the PCMCIA cable has only four copper wires, instead of the usual 8, like my patch cables. Also, it uses a different color combination.

engage1000
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2002, 09:32 AM

Mercator,

I thought about what you said regarding the PCMCIA cable, and it being a crossover. That doesn't make sense, because if you are connecting to a hub, you need a patch cable. A crossover won't work (except with your iMac, it has an internal switch which can use any cable for any configuration, like an internal crossover or patch).

What kind of cable are you using to connect the Powerbook to the wall jack? A crossover or patch? You should be using a patch cable, well, that's the way it should be anyways. As well, you could try using a different cable because the one you are using could be faulty, and not work for the wall jack.

Let me know how you make out, and I will try to find some literature on your PC card.

Good luck,

John
I learned the hard way that you can't use vB smilies in your sig. see --> :cry:

Mercator  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2002, 10:18 AM

The card end of the cord has a (proprietary?) flat connector that I'm not familiar with. The other end is a normal RJ-45 connection. I was wondering if I got another crossover cable and coupled it with this pc card cable, that it would then behave like a normal Cat5 cable. Would that work?

I have emailed Proxim/Farallon but have not received a response yet. Thanks again for any help, John.

[ 05-04-2002: Message edited by: Mercator ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules