Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > "Disappearing" files in Music folder

"Disappearing" files in Music folder
Scoo
Forum Regular
Feb 24, 2002, 01:48 AM

The files in my home/music/ directorykeep turning invisible. The files are there, if I select them in iTunes and choose "Show Song File" the file re-appears. Booting into safe mode and doing a fsck -y shows nothing amiss. Any ideas?
The music is not in the
piano- Clement Mok

glycer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 24, 2002, 04:06 AM

i have been having a similar problem lately.
the files in my iTunes library keep showing up as missing in iTunes
they have the exclamation point next to them. These are not files that have been moved or anything just random ones. If i search for them in Sherlock and double click they go back. but its annoying cuz i have to fix all my play-lists.

rgoer
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 24, 2002, 03:58 PM

I too have had this problem... it's been about a month since it last happened (although because I said that, I'll probably get home this afternoon to find 1000 little exclamation points awaiting my wrath), but it is sure as fsckfire quite annoying. Somebody over at the MacOSXHints forums replied to a similar thread as this one, citing an instance where iTunes didn't merely "misplace" his mp3 files, but rather corrupted the actual data, rendering 1100 of his songs unusable. I hope that never happens to my ass. Anyway, if we want anything done about this, we all need to start badgering Apple's Mac OS X Feedback site about this crappy, crappy iTunes bug.

[ 02-24-2002: Message edited by: rgoer ]
Even Einstein feared the power of "spooky action at a distance"

Jerommeke
Mac Elite
Feb 24, 2002, 04:12 PM

are you using open ag x?

i have experienced similar problems when using that piece of software... it appeared to be running fine but this problem came up and i had to erase my hard drive to get rid of it

now i don't use open ag x anymore, and the problem is gone...
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 20", 2 GB RAM, 400 GB, OS X 10.4.5, iPod with color screen 60 GB

Brazuca
Mac Elite
Feb 25, 2002, 01:45 AM

Originally posted by rgoer:
<STRONG>I too have had this problem... it's been about a month since it last happened (although because I said that, I'll probably get home this afternoon to find 1000 little exclamation points awaiting my wrath), but it is sure as fsckfire quite annoying. Somebody over at the MacOSXHints forums replied to a similar thread as this one, citing an instance where iTunes didn't merely "misplace" his mp3 files, but rather corrupted the actual data, rendering 1100 of his songs unusable. I hope that never happens to my ass. Anyway, if we want anything done about this, we all need to start badgering Apple's Mac OS X Feedback site about this crappy, crappy iTunes bug.

[ 02-24-2002: Message edited by: rgoer ]</STRONG>
I actually had this happen to me. The songs weren't quite unusable, just that they were "cutoff". Some only a couple of seconds, others almost entirely. I'm not sure if it was iTunes. It did happen around the time I installed version 2. But I also moved all my music to a new drive, and its possible that the move corrupted the files. Except that only music files got corrupted.

Still don't know what happened....
"It's about time trees did something good insted of just standing there LIKE JERKS!" :)

Mercator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2002, 02:32 PM

I just noticed this problem today. Only the files in my Limewire "shared" folder have disappeared. Other files have not been affected, as far as I can tell. When I try to copy ANYTHING to the Shared folder, it will disappear after a second or two.

If I copy the Shared folder, the resulting folder will also appear empty. All the files can be located with sherlock, or if I boot into OS 9 so they're not gone. When I try to put this folder in the trash, I get an error:

"the operation cannot be completed because one or more required items cannot be found (error code -35)"

Norton disk doctor did not fix it.

Anyone have any new revelations about this problem?

iKevin
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2002, 03:33 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by Mercator:
<strong>I just noticed this problem today. Only the files in my Limewire "shared" folder have disappeared. Other files have not been affected, as far as I can tell. When I try to copy ANYTHING to the Shared folder, it will disappear after a second or two.

If I copy the Shared folder, the resulting folder will also appear empty. All the files can be located with sherlock, or if I boot into OS 9 so they're not gone. When I try to put this folder in the trash, I get an error:

"the operation cannot be completed because one or more required items cannot be found (error code -35)"

Norton disk doctor did not fix it.

Anyone have any new revelations about this problem?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Happens to me in Limewire too....I think it's a Limewire bug. Luckily my iTunes folder is unaffected.

Mercator
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2002, 04:51 PM

Yes, I think it's Limewire also. It was running when this happened.

Ok, I found a "fix." There might be easier/faster ways to do this.

I booted into OS 9 and stuffed the troublesome folder with Stuffit, deleted the old one, and rebooted into X. Unstuffed the folder and re-imported into iTunes. The filenames were truncated to the OS 9-friendly style, but they all appear. I have no idea why this worked.

Forum Links
Forum Rules