Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > bye bye old friend hello new friend

bye bye old friend hello new friend
Doc HM
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2009, 03:45 PM

My old 15in MacBook Pro lasted three years of hard labour, going out on site with me most days in addition it was constantly being opened up and various internals swapped in and out. In the end the case was pretty beat, the optical drive had been transplanted, the sleep light was gone, the hinge was floppy and there were various other maladies. A hard three years.

So now I've replaced it with a lovely 17in MBP. So far it's rocking but it has a lot to live up to. The old 15 was easily my hardest working Mac ever and it never missed a beat, despite the alu MBP being generally though of as fairly fragile.

I'm hoping the 17 will proVE to be just as tough.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

freudling
Banned
Nov 14, 2009, 08:04 PM

Sounds like you are trying to justify all that money you spent...

Good luck.

amazing
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2009, 08:28 PM

Le Roi est mort. Vive le Roi!

Doc HM  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2009, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by freudling View Post
Sounds like you are trying to justify all that money you spent...

Good luck.
No, my old Mac was basically finished so I had no real option. Plus I got a good deal on the 17 so I'm pretty happy with that. I was just commenting on the fact that the MacBook Pro is not generally regarded as a tough Maac, but mine took a real beating and kept on working.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
Nov 24, 2009, 05:53 AM

I'd put money on the fact that you will be very impressed with the Unibody machine.

I used 2 15" Alubooks for work for the last 2 years and wasn't as lucky as you; They were very fragile indeed. After 12 months or so, the cases really were destroyed, let alone the internals.

I switched to a Unibody Macbook 11 months ago, and it still looks, feels and works like new. Not even a scratch on it!

osxpro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 13, 2009, 01:06 PM

Congrads on your new MBP. Be sure to get your new baby a new suit of armor! I can't tell you how many times my wife and I have accidentally dropped our MBPs over the last few years - not mention a few times when one of our cats have come tearing across the room and dumped one on the floor.

Forum Links
Forum Rules